Author Topic: [LEL17] Travel advise - From Heathrow-Chesham- Startpoint  (Read 4779 times)

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
[LEL17] Travel advise - From Heathrow-Chesham- Startpoint
« on: 05 February, 2017, 05:12:33 pm »
Hello,
I'm flying there from India. If everything goes fine with VISA, I will land there on 26 th July 7 pm at Heathrow. ( This is my first international travel)

1. My relative, who is providing me accommodation stays at Chesham,Buckinghamshire. So, with bike box and a bag I have to reach his home. Please suggest me a feasible economic way to reach there  (In a detailed manner).

2. Then on 29 th, Is there any cycling route that I can take to reach start point, if not is there any way in public transport that I can transport my assembled bike there ? I wish to stay in a travelodge  for 29th night as  Chesham is around 60 km from start. I neither want ride or trouble them to drive me and my bike there.So I need suggestion regarding a budget stay too.

3. Can anyone suggest if there are any bike shops in/around Chesham, in case something fails with bike after I assemble there.

Thank you.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Travel advise - From Heathrow-Chesham- Startpoint
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »
regarding your first point - it's always easiest to just ride from the airport (or bath road, to which you can travel for free from the airport by a local bus). that's how i always travel to/from the airports. i transport my bike in a soft unpadded case, which is fairly compact to roll it up and strap it to my rucksack. there is a small chance of bike damage but so far so good.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2017, 05:33:32 pm »
Given the time you are arriving after a long flight, pre-order a taxi to take you and your bike box, either all the way to Chesham (don't know how much) or possibly Harrow-on-the-Hill station (about £25) and take the Metropolitan to Chesham. It'll make your life easier if your taxi goes to a wheelchair-accessible station and I don't think that HotH station is. There is an accessibility Tube map on the TfL website.

To get to Cheshunt by public transport with a bike, get the Metropolitan to Northwick Park and swap to the Overground (5 minute signed walk between stations), which will get you to Cheshunt via Willesden Junction and Hackney. Ride from there (or another Overground station) to the start/ your hotel.
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

I haven't used any bike shops in Chesham, though Google mentions http://www.stronnellcycles.com but that isn't the only option. If you have bike problems, sing out on YACF. There are plenty of AUKs who can help sort things out e.g. I live on the Metropolitan line.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2017, 05:41:23 pm »
Take the bus. It's twice as quick as the tube. http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/A30_A40_740.pdf

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2017, 05:52:57 pm »
Bike box on a London bus? HK quit that game a long time ago. It is a pain trolleying or carrying a loaded bike box any distance too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2017, 06:46:51 pm »
I don't think the A30 is a typical London Bus and the OP is doing the full length of the route.

If it's a coach, it might be possible to stash the bike box in a luggage area.

I've never travelled with a bike box though and wouldn't fancy it.

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »
For help with bike if required Chiltern Bike Barn in Chalfont St Peter

http://www.chilternbikebarn.co.uk/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2017, 06:55:25 pm »
Carousel Buses operate the A30. Photos of the A30 bus seem to show a standard single-decker bus, though I don't know if it has an enlarged luggage space.
https://www.carouselbuses.co.uk/conditions-of-carriage/

LMT

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »
Given that the flight from India is roughly 8-9 hours I'd be inclined to go with LWAB and get a taxi to Chesham, cost is roughly £40 going from what is on-line.

Getting to the start from Chesham would be a mission so I'd look to kill all three birds with one stone from when you land:-

i) Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington

ii) Take the Circle Line to Liverpool Street, Circle Line trains are step through so plenty of room for a bike box and at that time of the night even for a weekday should be quiet-ish.

iii) Take the overground line to Chingford, take a taxi from Chingford station to the Premier Inn at Buckhurst hill.

With this approach you are already settle in terms of your base with only a very short ride to the start. Any issues with your bike can be sorted on the Saturday at the Loughton Control or in Loughton Town centre where with a brief look online there are some bike shops. You can always meet your relative in London in the days during you landing and starting the ride, or afterwards following a successful LEL.

if you really do want to stay with your relative from the off, then from Chesham, take the mainline to Paddington, and then follow the above steps ii and iii.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2017, 07:25:19 pm »
if you really do want to stay with your relative from the off, then from Chesham, take the mainline to Paddington, and then follow the above steps ii and iii.

No mainline trains from Chesham, so take the Metropolitan to swap onto the Circle line, if required. Staying out of Zone 1 via the Overground is a bit cheaper but more hassle, possibly too much hassle. Could ride to Amersham for the Chiltern Railway to Marylebone, then ride a couple of minutes to get to Baker St for the Circle, etc.

The closest stations to the LEL start are on the Central tube line but you can't take bikes on most of it.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycling-in-london/bikes-on-public-transport#on-this-page-0

« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:08:53 am »
YACF is slipping though, with no reference to 'The Chalfonts'.

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2017, 01:06:05 am »
Hello,
I'm flying there from India. If everything goes fine with VISA, I will land there on 26 th July 7 pm at Heathrow. ( This is my first international travel)

1. My relative, who is providing me accommodation stays at Chesham,Buckinghamshire. So, with bike box and a bag I have to reach his home. Please suggest me a feasible economic way to reach there  (In a detailed manner).

Well, if you can carry/push your bike somehow then you can get the underground to Chesham, but with a bike you want to be doing it off-peak times...which you obviously will be at 7pm+. You'll have to check out the London Transport site for details on transporting bikes on the underground, but it shouldn't be a problem. THe A30 is a stanard single decker bus, and might prove difficult transporting a bike. But again check web sites for details. But the A30[remarkably!] starts from Heathrow and finishes in Chesham. But the underground is your second best bet really. You'll pick it up at Heathrow, go into the city and then come back out from there. [See map for details].
Best option though is getting picked up from the airport. As LWB says, traveling with a bike in a box on public transport is a royal PITA, especially after a long flight. Much better to get picked up if you can.
3. Can anyone suggest if there are any bike shops in/around Chesham, in case something fails with bike after I assemble there.
Well, I live in Chesham, have a few tools, have a bit of knowledge [as long as the bike is pre 1970 :-)]and I don't mind helping you out, so you can get in touch if you run into issues. I will be helping out at the St Ives control, but I'll be about in Chesham the days before, so I will be about when you arrive, that's fine. I can say that with the comforting knowledge that there won't be many people coming to Chesham to do LEL :-)
The only bike shop in Chesham is Stronnells. He's the son of a long established bike shop here, and knows his stuff.
Garry Broad

« Reply #12 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:01:30 am »
A kind person might go down and ask the driver how busy the A30 gets, and if a bike box would be a problem. I'd envisage it being very busy at peak times between Uxbridge and Heathrow, less so through Gerrards Cross and the Chalfonts.

I worked for the Colne Valley Park in the mid 1980s, and I know that area well, parts of it are beautiful, and a bus journey would be a nice introduction to the contrasts of life in Britain. Amersham is particularly chocolate boxy.

« Reply #13 on: 06 February, 2017, 01:59:42 pm »
The A30 stops around 7pm. But the 724 runs later. That can drop you at Rickmansworth, then tube or bus to Chesham.

http://www.greenline.co.uk/timetables-search/724---harlow-to-london-heathrow-airport/?direction=inbound

« Reply #14 on: 06 February, 2017, 03:40:54 pm »
I've booked myself a room in Waltham Cross. In my searches I found that the hotels closest to the start are taken. One rational approach might be to cluster in Harlow. The 724 bus would take you straight there from Heathrow, and it has luggage space. There are some budget hotels in Harlow.

It would be similar to staying in St Quentin for PBP. The principal advantage would be no changes, arrive Heathrow, transfer to Harlow, and rest.

« Reply #15 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »
I'd question whether you'd be allowed a bike onboard any of the mentioned bus services, even boxed. You'd be putting yourself at the mercy of the driver.

Bikes are explicitly allowed on large amounts of the London Underground and overground (map here) outside peak hours, and boxed bikes should be ok any time if it's not too crowded. I'd pick that route, assuming you're happy taking the bike box up and down stairs when changing trains.

« Reply #16 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:39:37 pm »
The answer is that the 724 has additional luggage space.
These were replaced in August 2006 by nine Mercedes-Benz Citaros. These were the result of a Quality Bus Partnership between Arriva Shires & Essex, BAA and Hertfordshire County Council. These buses seat 39 and also have extra luggage racking.[8] Journey times were also improved
They look like airport transfer buses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_bus_route_724

It actually takes a fair old time to get from Heathrow to Harlow, the advantage being that you can't miss the stop. There's also the question of whether a group arriving together could all get on. I'd be tempted to get a hotel at Heathrow for the night of arrival. Beyond that it will mainly be a question of where rooms are available.

Mile cruncher's immediate need is solved by the 724, his Chesham host might pick him up in Rickmansworth.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #17 on: 06 February, 2017, 04:43:40 pm »
Another vote for taking a cab. Google throws up this, for instance: http://www.chilternairporttransfers.com/location/chesham/

The Premier Inn in Buckhust Hill is by far the closest budget option to the start, but it seems to be fully booked at least for the night from Saturday to Sunday. have a look at other chain hotels like Premier Inn / Ibis in East London.

A budget option may be the Highbury Center in Highbury. Single rooms with a shared bath for 52.50 pounds per night. http://www.thehighburycentre.org/rates/rates Some friends of mine who stayed there were quite happy.

It's a 20km ride from there to the start (admittedly not ideal if you're after a really early start). I live nearby and can provide GPX track to the start. I have another LEL rider staying at my place any may be able to meet up for a pint Saturday night.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #18 on: 06 February, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will have to understand and analyse them slowly.

Well, I live in Chesham, have a few tools, have a bit of knowledge [as long as the bike is pre 1970 :-)]and I don't mind helping you out, so you can get in touch if you run into issues. I will be helping out at the St Ives control, but I'll be about in Chesham the days before, so I will be about when you arrive, that's fine. I can say that with the comforting knowledge that there won't be many people coming to Chesham to do LEL :-)
I Will be really glad to meet you.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 06 February, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »
You'll enjoy meeting VB. He has some good stories to tell.

« Reply #20 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:16:50 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will have to understand and analyse them slowly.

I Will be really glad to meet you.

Good. We'll be meeting here - the place largely responsible for the [temporary..I hope]decline in my cycling activities :)

Anyway, drop me a line nearer the time.
It's a fair way off...but have a good trip when it comes around.
Garry Broad