Author Topic: Easter Arrow 2019  (Read 31526 times)

Easter Arrow 2019
« on: 11 November, 2018, 12:06:32 pm »
I've volunteered to captain a group for this, for the first time.

I've read The Rules and some previous forum threads. But I'm hoping if I can ask some clarification questions.

1. If some of the team aren't AUK members, can I pay for temporary mebership when I send in the forms?
2. I think the minimum set of controls is start, 22hr, finish. Is that right?
3. Is distance calculated based on Google Maps Walking Mode between the controls? Or is there another way to measure it?
4. Is there a DIYxGPS style option to validate based on a fixed-route instead?
5. Does anyone have suggestions for nice routes North from central London that don't go through Epping Forest?
6. Are supported stops (e.g. at family homes en-route) allowed?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: Easter Arrow 2019
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2018, 12:26:57 pm »
In part..
2. Better to specify more controls at the usual sort of spacing or you will end up riding excessive over distance. You can use the intermediates to add interest and adjust claimed distance.
3. Yes Gmaps to walking is (or at least has recently been) the starting point for measurement but if that results In ploughed fields you could justify and point this out. However this involves the org doing work, so in the past I've just made it work to gmaps walking and accepted the over distance for a nice route as a fair trade.
4. No

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2018, 12:34:05 pm »
1. I believe so but megajoulesexpenditure is the one who knows.
6. Yes, though some hairshirt types might hurrumpf about it. I ignore them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2018, 01:07:41 pm »
Like Christmas, this seems to get earlier and earlier every year!

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:25:42 pm »
Like Christmas, this seems to get earlier and earlier every year!
And it's quite a late one this year too.

Proper preparation and all that.

6) Are supported stops (e.g. at family homes en-route) allowed?

Specifically, would this be okay as a control point. Or would we still need an ATM receipt or some such?
Rule 77

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:38:47 pm »
5. You could always work your way up to Hertfiord via Cuffley or Cheshunt.  Some nice roads up that way.  Then aim for Cambridge or Bedford if you want to go further West. Plenty of quiet lanes (that are reasonably direct) to choose from.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2018, 02:52:26 pm »

Specifically, would this be okay as a control point. Or would we still need an ATM receipt or some such?
[/quote]

You each need a proof that you were all at a place at a particular time. There is info that a timed photo Pof P would be accepted exceptionally but I think this is aimed at the 22 hour or end controls If you end up in the middle of nowhere missing your plan A with no alternative. It's not that difficult to just do it the standard way.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2018, 03:28:27 pm »

You each need a proof that you were all at a place at a particular time. There is info that a timed photo Pof P would be accepted exceptionally but I think this is aimed at the 22 hour or end controls If you end up in the middle of nowhere missing your plan A with no alternative. It's not that difficult to just do it the standard way.

[/quote]On a practical note, if you don't tell who knows?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2018, 05:26:00 pm »
5. You could always work your way up to Hertfiord via Cuffley or Cheshunt.  Some nice roads up that way.  Then aim for Cambridge or Bedford if you want to go further West. Plenty of quiet lanes (that are reasonably direct) to choose from.
Agreed.  No need to go anywhere near Epping Road (unless you want to add mileage by going NE).  Hertford or thereabouts is going to give you the nicest routes and from then on you are on lanes.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2018, 11:12:22 pm »
Try to arrange some A road Kms through the night. Lots of dark lanes, potholes and faffing is not much fun. Remember main roads will be quieter than usual overnight.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:54:09 am »
Try to arrange some A road Kms through the night. Lots of dark lanes, potholes and faffing is not much fun. Remember main roads will be quieter than usual overnight.
Yep. My routes always avoid small lanes at night, but go for decent B roads most of the way.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:31:44 am »

We've used a stamp & signature in the past, as per any other manned event.

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2018, 02:16:52 pm »
As a newbie to this, please could I check whether or not the 'roolz' on start times are negotiable?
"START TIMES. Teams may start from Friday 06:00 to Saturday 10:00hrs."
I read elsewhere that some teams have chosen to start on Thursday evening, allowing an arrival at York for supper and a bed, with a (cross country) train back to Exeter (say) on (Easter) Saturday morning/midday. Have the rules been changed to stop this?
We are in the route planning stage (down here in East Devon) and the time of start (and therefore which long section we'd be riding in the wee hours) will have an effect on our route planning/choices. We don't want to risk a Sunday train journey which a Friday evening start implies.

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2018, 03:03:56 pm »
As a newbie to this, please could I check whether or not the 'roolz' on start times are negotiable?
"START TIMES. Teams may start from Friday 06:00 to Saturday 10:00hrs."
I read elsewhere that some teams have chosen to start on Thursday evening, allowing an arrival at York for supper and a bed, with a (cross country) train back to Exeter (say) on (Easter) Saturday morning/midday. Have the rules been changed to stop this?
We are in the route planning stage (down here in East Devon) and the time of start (and therefore which long section we'd be riding in the wee hours) will have an effect on our route planning/choices. We don't want to risk a Sunday train journey which a Friday evening start implies.

Yes those are the start times as per ACP rules

however some teams do start on thursday night and this is for some historical reason.

You would have to check with the organiser as to what times you will be allowed to start.

« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:20:48 pm »
AUK website rules
http://www.aukweb.net/events/arrows/
"DISTANCES. At least 360km must be covered during the 24 hours but you should plan more e.g. 400k or 500k as your target.
The team will be validated if the actual distance covered is within 20% above or below the one stated before the ride (with an absolute minimum of 360km) E.g. if you plan a 450km route the team must ride between 360 and 540km"
The distance of an arrow is defined by its start place, its controls and its intended end-place (which may or may not be York) aiui.
A group plans a 410km route (distance as per Google walking).
Please could some cognoscenti explain or describe in practice (save discussions on cadences for another thread) how a group rides a distance further than the planned route (by up to 20%)? In practice, with a  stonking tailwind (here's hoping), the group finds itself further north (coming from the SW, say) than expected. Does the (zealous) group just divert to Spalding (say) - not a designated control and then (zig-)zag back towards York? Does the group nominate to the organiser various cunning diversion wheezes in case more distance is possible within the allotted 24 hours?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:47:08 pm »
I'd always assumed, but never asked, that, on the assumption that Goole was my 22 hour control, if I had a stonking tailwind and arrived there 2 - 3 hours early, I'd ride a loop, say Goole - Selby - Eggborough - Goole to add 50km. 

But, as it turned out, when we did have a stonking tailwind we just had a 90 minute sleep stop at Grantham services and another doze at Goole and rode our planned route.

There's usually a gathering at a 'spoons at 9am which encourages a 9am start time. 

If you hail from the South and are brave enough, plan to ride 30km down to Howden and book a Hull Trains trip back to London.  It cost me the princely sum of £12 a couple of years ago, although my progress into the wind from York to Howden after a 24 hour ride, a huge breakfast washed down with mild, was somewhat laboured.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:48:07 pm »
PS.  If anyone wants a diesel to tow them along for a bit and are thinking about a start west of London I'd be happy to join a team.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #17 on: 21 December, 2018, 06:51:23 pm »
Any teams passing through NTR are more than welcome to stop off at the new! Improved! THoFC!

The builders have now finished and we have underfloor heating, the ability to block off noise from other parts of the house and a downstairs loo.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2018, 10:16:32 pm »
Sunset at Market Harborough is 2008.
http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=52.477600,-0.920530¢er=52.4776,-0.9205&z=18&spn=0.00,0.00&dt=20190419222900%2B0100
Best of all - with the clear sky we're bound to get in late April - the full full moon is 'up' from sunset to an hour after sunrise.
Sunrise at Thorne is 0553.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 28 December, 2018, 06:42:39 pm »
Looks like I might be joining a team again this time
Four other people from the pub have expressed an interest

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 28 December, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »

That's a pretty high-risk selection strategy  :o

I shall drink to your success!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:34:03 am »

That's a pretty high-risk selection strategy  :o

I shall drink to your success!
;D ;D  :thumbsup: We all will.

« Reply #22 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:50:05 pm »
Are we allowed to change the route away from your planned controls?

E.g. we get half way and decide we are knackered. So instead of going West (to the hills) we turn East (more direct and flat). Instead of controlling at WestTown, we control at EastTown, then continue to our 22hr control.

(In this case both West and East routes are >360km by Google Walking, but only if WestTown or EastTown is used as a control respectively.)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 02 January, 2019, 02:54:41 pm »
Generally not. You continue along your notified route/ controls as far as you can get within the time allowed. You can bail at the 24hr mark.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24 on: 02 January, 2019, 05:39:03 pm »
Generally not. You continue along your notified route/ controls as far as you can get within the time allowed. You can bail at the 24hr mark.
What does a team do when it makes good time and gets to York at 22 hours? I assume that an impromptu excursion to 'somewhere' at least 13km away where one can get a PoP and back
"The team must ride until the end of the 24th hour. If proof of passage is not available at that point they must continue riding to the next available place where it may be obtained. This does not have to be York, it can be on the way to York.
A minimum of 25km must be ridden between the 22nd hour control point and the finish."
The rules require that at least 25k is ridden between wherever is used for a control in the 22nd hour and the 24 hour moment/location.
How (adhering to the rules) can teams arrive at York before 24 hours has elapsed from the time they started (even if they've ridden at least the required 25km)?
I appreciate that this is a rather 'Germanic' approach to (essentially) French rules which are meant to be followed in a 'French' ;) way. I am not taking a 'pop' at the rules; just trying to understand what's what.