Author Topic: Roasting rump steak  (Read 5097 times)

gonzo

Roasting rump steak
« on: 10 September, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
The credit crisis has a flip side - I got a lump of rump steak for the same price as a lump of topside*. How long should one cook 3 pounds of rump to get it medium rare?

Any other words of wisdom or advice that make roasting rump different from topside?

*It was the only beef he had due to delayed delivery and as I'm a regular he wanted me back!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Roasting rump steak
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 03:53:23 pm »
The credit crisis has a flip side - I got a lump of rump steak for the same price as a lump of topside*. How long should one cook 3 pounds of rump to get it medium rare?

Any other words of wisdom or advice that make roasting rump different from topside?

*It was the only beef he had due to delayed delivery and as I'm a regular he wanted me back!
Sear all over in hot pan to seal in juices. Into HOT oven (240c) for 10 mins, the down to 175c for 20-35 mins depending on how rare you like it.

Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving! 
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2008, 04:10:31 pm »
Ta for the tips, but...

Isn't the hot oven a little unnecessary if you've already seared it? Also, did you know that the hot oven doesn't sear, it just colours the outside and in so doing, imparts lots of flavour?

The general advice that I've seen is to do it for about 20 minutes per pound of meat. Does your method cook the middle at all or do you get a different type of meat depending on how far through the cut you are?

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:12:17 pm »
Ta for the tips, but...

Isn't the hot oven a little unnecessary if you've already seared it? Also, did you know that the hot oven doesn't sear, it just colours the outside and in so doing, imparts lots of flavour?

The general advice that I've seen is to do it for about 20 minutes per pound of meat. Does your method cook the middle at all or do you get a different type of meat depending on how far through the cut you are?

20 mins per pound + 20 mins will be well done no sign of pinkness at all.  If you like it pink in the middle go for Fatblokes times.  I like mine rare and would probabluy sear and stick in oven for 30 mins max :thumbsup:

Cooking wise (for pinkness?) I don't think the times would be different for topside and rump, it's just rump will be more tender when rare than topside I think

Cover well and rest

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:39:40 pm »
Right, I'll ignore the other advice and go with you guys!

Ta :)

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:41:11 pm »
40 minutes at 160 degrees with the first 5 or so with the oven set at 220. Absolutely ruddy perfect!

Thanks for stopping me overcooking the nicest joint I'll ever roast you two!