Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 97173 times)

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #650 on: 22 May, 2012, 04:43:23 pm »
Best Wishes to Mike – descending into Llanberis is no time to be finding out about the solid nature of your surroundings (shudder!)…

BIG thanks to the catering folks at Kings and Aberhafesp: pasta, apple tart & custard and porridge – all delicious! And to Mark & Louise: I saw you in control at Chepstow, keeping it together in Menai, unwinding in Aberhafesp, relaxing in Woebley and back in control in Chepstow - remarkable! (And good luck to your successor – long live BCM!)

I knocked 4 hours of last year’s time, which can only partly be explained by the near-perfect weather (someone had to point out my sun-burn on return!). Some of it has to be down to ‘state-of-mind’ – knowing what to expect, relaxing and enjoying the route and the company.

Cheers to all!

It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

simonp

« Reply #651 on: 22 May, 2012, 05:42:26 pm »
None of the traffic controls we rode through were a problem for us, they all detected us quickly (unlike the bridge in Chepstow on The Dean which seemed to have a broken sensor). The one on the climb from Dolgellau to Cross Foxes looked potentially dodgy due to the likely slow speed, so we took the scenic route, which is actually much more pleasant than the main road and I prefer it.

Most drivers were fine, but there were a lot of drivers with trailers and caravans taking a chance on the oncoming vehicle getting out the way so they didn't have to lose momentum, and there was one HGV that passed us then tried to pass the next cyclist up the road and had to pull in and brake sharply to avoid the car coming the other way around the blind corner. They didn't have a lot of stopping distance to avoid rear-ending the cyclist. Entirely predictable, and would potentially have been a lot worse if the oncoming car had appeared a few seconds later. However, the Land Rover driver who swerved over to our side of the road on a straight, relatively wide road aiming towards us was clearly not doing so by accident & was trying to scare us.

We did have to pull off once on the Bronllys to Builth Wells road because a queue had formed - mainly because an overly-timid driver wouldn't overtake on a solid white line, even though we were going slow enough for it to be legal. By the time we found a safe spot to pull in, quite a long queue had formed. The driver at the back understood what we'd done and waved their thanks. Shortly, we passed them all again, and more, in Builth Wells due to the queues.

We gained an advantage around Abergavenny by taking the bypass, which I'd seen Andy & Jasmine do in 2010. This is especially beneficial on a tandem due to the lack of being slowed at junctions in the town centre, and we found ourselves ahead of riders who had dropped us earlier.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #652 on: 22 May, 2012, 06:55:59 pm »
Best Wishes to Mike – descending into Llanberis is no time to be finding out about the solid nature of your surroundings (shudder!)…
Once again many thanks to everyone - I don't remember what I hit, or where for that matter, but the brand new luminous yellow jacket is unscratched except for a hole in the left shoulder. I shall have to come back next year to get my first memories of Llanberis!!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #653 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:24:18 pm »
Glad to hear that you're alright Mikee - it was worrying hearing the news at Menai Bridge

best,
Justin

« Reply #654 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:16:39 pm »
Once again many thanks to everyone - I don't remember what I hit, or where for that matter, but the brand new luminous yellow jacket is unscratched except for a hole in the left shoulder. I shall have to come back next year to get my first memories of Llanberis!!!

Mike, now we know you are OK, time for important matters to be discussed.

How is the bike?

« Reply #655 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »
Best Wishes to Mike – descending into Llanberis is no time to be finding out about the solid nature of your surroundings (shudder!)
I've just spoken with Bikey Mikey on the 'phone, he seems in good spirits - have a rest for a couple of weeks BM and see how it goes, but don't hurry back too soon - it could lead to more set-backs.

............................ And to Mark & Louise: I saw you in control at Chepstow, keeping it together in Menai, unwinding in Aberhafesp, relaxing in Woebley and back in control in Chepstow - remarkable! ............
We were at Dolgellau for the first couple of hours, and the last six - so you could have missed us there. But are you ielling me you didn't see us at Bronllys ? ? ? ? ?  ;)
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #656 on: 22 May, 2012, 09:52:27 pm »
Nice to meet CrazyEnglishTriathlete who did way too much work towing us at crazy speeds throughout most of Saturday.
Good as always to ride with zigzag. He found me out of puff and almost asleep on the bars on the way to Aberhafesp.

Thank you to Mark and all of the other helpers. To just flop into a chair in the wee hours and have someone feed and water you is much appreciated. Good work for finding the new Menai control so close to the old at such short notice.

A few photos

Great to have company and thanks for the photos.  Mark will be a hard act to follow.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #657 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:23:35 pm »

Mike, now we know you are OK, time for important matters to be discussed.

How is the bike?

His bike appears remarkably undamaged considering. It has a minor scrape on the left brake lever, a scraped rear QR lever, and a missing right bar end cap and slight bar tape scuffing. I know this because it is currently in my study, but will be returned to it's rightful owner tomorrow!

« Reply #658 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:47:12 pm »
Those of you riding too fast at the weekend missed this stunning descent of Pen-Y-Pass  ;D

(I'm hoping that image upload worked, but if not then http://flic.kr/p/c3PdQG)

« Reply #659 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »

Well you sounded okay on the phone, but that pic is a little gruesome. Might see you at the weekend.

« Reply #660 on: 22 May, 2012, 10:52:40 pm »
Those of you riding too fast at the weekend missed this stunning descent of Pen-Y-Pass  ;D

The road surface has deteriorated a bit since I was last there.

Not on the BCM I beg to add, you have to leave something to do.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #661 on: 22 May, 2012, 11:34:16 pm »

Well you sounded okay on the phone, but that pic is a little gruesome. Might see you at the weekend.
You should have seen the other fella !!!
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #662 on: 23 May, 2012, 08:22:40 am »

That's a fantastic photo....more and more tempted to do BCM next year :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #663 on: 23 May, 2012, 01:23:35 pm »
We were at Dolgellau for the first couple of hours, and the last six - so you could have missed us there. But are you ielling me you didn't see us at Bronllys ? ? ? ? ?  ;)

Ah.. yes, I remember! I did see you at Bronllys! (Cloning? Time-travel?)
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #664 on: 23 May, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »

here's my photo of the top of the pass, from a few years ago

DSCF0020 by vorsprung2009, on Flickr

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #665 on: 23 May, 2012, 02:59:42 pm »
Some photos

morning group to Bronllys

descending off PenYPass.

at Menai bridge

a familiar request found on Sunday morning

Normal service resumed within an hour of leaving the hostel.

Excellent work from Mark and crew again this year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #666 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »
First of all thanks to the organiser. I was looking for dinner and ended up with a curry in the Travelodge, which was at that moment more important than giving omnipotent organiser a cheer. I'm afraid the sandwiches your wife made me ended up in a bin in Brean.
The ride has lived up to its hard and beautiful expectations.
The A-road after the Honey cafe seemed very busy and there were 2 overtakes there that were really uncomfortable. I haven't had any other overtakes this close in the UK, but I try to avoid A-roads. This is a holiday after all.
Because I was making a picture at Pennypass I got overtaken by a car and that ruined my descent. Only after I had given it some room I reached 70kph while approaching him again. On the the descent on the way back just afters Kings YH I was also overtaken by a car but this guy knew how to handle his Fiesta, I never had to brake for him and reached 80kph(which has been my max earlier).
If anything I'd say some more descent and some less uphill and I'll try to come over again. I should tease some velomobile riders, see if they'll bite.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #667 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:16:01 am »
I add my thanks to Mr & Mrs Blacksheep I am a recent participant only 'discovering' the joys of this ride for the last 2 years but they & theother helpers helped me round especially last year. This year was definate improvement on last years 39hr 50min. This year i finished at about 5.30 & managed a 3 hr sleep at Kings so result! Lordy thanks for the mention & it was good to catch up sorry I could not keep with you after Weobly but I went into 'melt-down' literally. Still dressed for the night I started to suffer - its amazing how long it takes to work out whats wrong when you are tired. So 'stripping' down to short sleeves & nearly 2 litres of water later the world was back on its axis - to the extent that I was looking for the final 'monster' on the Monmouth road which I could remeber for the year before that never came! A good ride, though I had problems with motivation on the way out until over the LLanberis pass when I had a particular 'purple patch' towing Mel of this parish to the control to repay him for multiple tows in the past. Hi to Akin a fellow 'bus' passenger & boos to Graham who did not show. The one other memorable incident was in the wee hrs on the the way to Blethgeret (however its spelt) on the way back I ran over a bunny rabit - I thought it would move - it just sat there - then hopped of afterwards horizontally - I think I broke it!

Thanks to all I rode with .

« Reply #668 on: 24 May, 2012, 07:39:19 pm »
Another excellent Audax - crudely written up in this blog - http://thesquarepusher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks to Mark and Louise - very well organised again - I'll be back next year!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #669 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:07:51 pm »
Does anyone know when the results for the 'guess the weight of the baby' competition are available?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #670 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:42:37 pm »
Another excellent Audax - crudely written up in this blog - http://thesquarepusher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks to Mark and Louise - very well organised again - I'll be back next year!

great photos!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #671 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:48:51 pm »
Does anyone know when the results for the 'guess the weight of the baby' competition are available?

presumably when it's born  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #672 on: 24 May, 2012, 10:13:20 pm »
From Yossarian's blog, when he duelled a sportivist up a climb on the second day:

"Him: yeah well... I've already got 70miles in my legs
Me: really... I've got 300miles in mine....
silence...."

That is brilliant!  I think it would be worth the whole ride, just to have one of those moments.   A million smug points to you  :thumbsup:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #673 on: 25 May, 2012, 05:53:44 am »
Excellent blog Joel

« Reply #674 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:53:46 am »
Excellent blog Joel

+1
Also encountered the sportive,  the "Wild Edric" apparently, although no amount of pride was going to allow me to keep up with them on that hill.