Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451414 times)

LEE

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4850 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
That's a proper looking bike that is

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4851 on: 28 October, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »
That's a proper way of putting it!

looks good in red, too. Neither flash nor drab.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4852 on: 28 October, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »
  Lovely looking bike. Especially the little fella on the front light. What is he called?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4853 on: 29 October, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »

'IT' hasn't got a name. Its got no trousers on, and cant see any evidence either way :facepalm: so it maybe a he!
any way its the troll with no name, or neandertroll. looks a bit like Iggy Pop in the insurance advert.  Not so much him, but the ugly little fekker that sits on his shoulder. Shall we pass it over to members of the audiance to name him. i must say iggy's not a bad starter for 10.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4854 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »
Stig - of the dump, of course - failing that, Barney.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4855 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #4856 on: 29 October, 2011, 05:39:40 pm »
With hair like that I'm opting for Tina or Donk (Don King) :)

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #4857 on: 29 October, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
Sorry, Grub, I bypassed your post - nice bike btw ....but saddle is a little nose high!  Looks painful, but combined with the steep rise stem, it looks like quite an upright riding position?

« Reply #4858 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:20:40 am »
Saddle looks high but it doesn't feel like that when I am on it.
The stem is bog standard.  Nothing steep about it at all.  Must be an optical illusion.
When I relax my lower back I can get into a lovely aero tuck position.  I certainly wouldn't want the bars any lower.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4859 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:52:48 am »
That's a proper looking bike that is

I agree.  Elegant, purposeful and clearly very well thought out.

« Reply #4860 on: 30 October, 2011, 12:35:36 pm »

The Holdsworth at Lisset this morning

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4861 on: 30 October, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »
that is a classic, so nice to see pics of bikes 'out and about' as opposed to 'oop against t'garden wall' luverly colour.

« Reply #4862 on: 30 October, 2011, 02:20:00 pm »

Mike's (and formerly Noodley's) Tricross S/S is now mine. Ordered a 17T sprocket and lockring (for 67" - I've a spinner not a grinder), a Pedros Trixie tool, and a set of SKS Longboard 'guards. Hoping to keep my geared bike tucked up for the winter. Had a go on Mike's Pomp' when I picked it up, which was my first go at riding a fixed gear bike. The back end hopped up once or twice, but definitely got a taste of the 1 live gear vs 27 dead gears thing. I've also got a pair of Marathon Winter's coming so snow and ice won't keep me from riding.

« Reply #4863 on: 31 October, 2011, 11:29:16 am »
Having in the past spent what I now consider to have been stupidly large amounts of money on bikes, I am heading to the other extreme. Hence my 1992 Sareacen TuffTrax Elite in Tange Double-butted. Even though the bike itself cost me only 45 quid, cables and brake blocks, new tyres, a rack and 'bags (the last two absolute bargains on th' 'bay) have taken the total to £85 (and that excludes the 'grds that I already had on the shelf!).

The frame is a bit scruffy externally, but was clean and dry as new inside, so I guess less than a ton is not bad going. The frame rides very nicely indeed. There's a possibility that I'll have a grand to splash in next month or so and I've spent hours looking at potential "one last really nice bike" buys. Can't find anything that looks to be worth anything like 10x the Tufty!

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #4864 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:11:27 pm »
Are Sareacen and GT linked in any way, or were they back in 92?  Thats a very GT looking frame

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4865 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »
Very nice oncemore!  In my humble opinion you can't beat a hardtail MTB frame, they morph into all sorts of bikes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4866 on: 31 October, 2011, 05:36:38 pm »
Are Sareacen and GT linked in any way, or were they back in 92?  Thats a very GT looking frame
Weren't GT using the triple triangle back in 92?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4867 on: 31 October, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »
I had a Saracen "Eiger", ca 1994, that had the top tube extending slightly behind the seat tube, just like oncemore's. IIRC, the GT had a much more pronounced open triangle at the seat tube cluster.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #4868 on: 31 October, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
Saracen used the pierced seat/top tube on a few models for some years. Three out of my 4 have the same design. Those towards the top of the range late '80s-early '90s make an excellent base for multi-purpose bikes (altho' the TuffTy is all original - except pedals, saddle and tyres). Not especially sort after and thus about the best VFM out there.

LEE

« Reply #4869 on: 04 November, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
Having in the past spent what I now consider to have been stupidly large amounts of money on bikes, I am heading to the other extreme. Hence my 1992 Sareacen TuffTrax Elite in Tange Double-butted. Even though the bike itself cost me only 45 quid, cables and brake blocks, new tyres, a rack and 'bags (the last two absolute bargains on th' 'bay) have taken the total to £85 (and that excludes the 'grds that I already had on the shelf!).

The frame is a bit scruffy externally, but was clean and dry as new inside, so I guess less than a ton is not bad going. The frame rides very nicely indeed. There's a possibility that I'll have a grand to splash in next month or so and I've spent hours looking at potential "one last really nice bike" buys. Can't find anything that looks to be worth anything like 10x the Tufty!

I have the "Hardtrax" from 1995 with the (desirable) Tange CroMo frame.  They make superb touring/camping bikes because they are relatively long wheel-based compared to modern MTBs (more classic looking)

Lovely comfy ride (especially on 26x2.0" Marathons)

« Reply #4870 on: 04 November, 2011, 08:33:42 pm »
This one is indeed a "Lovely comfy ride" - even more so than my other, more "competition" oriemtated, two early '90s Kilis (Tange Prestige) and the late '90s Kili in Reynolds 853.  (And I have the same tyres on the Tufty and 1 of the Kilis to aid the coparison!)

« Reply #4871 on: 05 November, 2011, 05:09:09 pm »
Audax bike with new bits fitted,a Super C Barley and Fibreflare!

« Reply #4872 on: 05 November, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »
Ah - I'd been bending my fibreflare so that the hooks caught around the straps. I'll be stealing your idea and putting zipties through the buckles on my Nelson.

« Reply #4873 on: 06 November, 2011, 09:32:46 am »

Fitted some cheap folding Michelin Pilot Sports (700c x 35, similar to Marathon Racers), SKS Longboards, a bagman, and gone fixed (67"). The Longboards are really lovely,

« Reply #4874 on: 07 November, 2011, 04:55:10 pm »
Ah - I'd been bending my fibreflare so that the hooks caught around the straps. I'll be stealing your idea and putting zipties through the buckles on my Nelson.

My plan is to get two small black spring clips or karabiners and zip tie them to the fibreflare so I can move it around between barleys, or still use the pen clips.

I've ridden it now and decided the light brushing of the rear thigh with the barley there will annoy me after a while, so I've changed the seatpost and put a bagman on today! :-)  It actually looks a lot better.