Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451423 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7375 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:18:45 am »
But the result is a joy. In truth, the bike doesn't quite fit me. I've had to take a slight liberty with the manufacturer's recommendation on stem height to get the fit right. But it is so lovely to ride (and look at) that I can live with that.

Here's my Mercian:

It might not be the stem manufacturer's recommendation that's the issue.

The bottom of the stem needs to be beyond the threaded part of the steerer tube. This is what happened to my Mercian where the bottom of the stem was aligned with the last thread.

ETA. I forgot - It looks a really nice bike!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7376 on: 03 September, 2014, 10:49:11 am »
It might not be the stem manufacturer's recommendation that's the issue.

The bottom of the stem needs to be beyond the threaded part of the steerer tube. This is what happened to my Mercian where the bottom of the stem was aligned with the last thread.

That is useful info. Thanks.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mad cyclist

« Reply #7377 on: 03 September, 2014, 11:02:31 pm »

Dawes Galaxy

Giant Roam 2 2014

Mad cyclist

« Reply #7378 on: 03 September, 2014, 11:22:26 pm »

« Reply #7379 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »
My dry weather commuting bike. Frame has no name but it's Columbus Cromor tubing, and it's slightly too small for me. Most of the bike is 30 years old.

Parts are Campagnolo Record brake, hubs, seatpin, chainset.

80s 28 hole Mavic sprints; CX18, and GEL280 (actual weight 300g), NOS Clement and Vittoria tubs.

3ttt stem and ITM bars.

"Bernard Hinault" Turbo saddle, which I bought new in 1984.

Gear is 46x18.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #7380 on: 16 September, 2014, 05:27:29 pm »
New wheels on the Italia!

New wheels, Mmm. by menthel, on Flickr

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7381 on: 16 September, 2014, 06:36:53 pm »
My dry weather commuting bike. Frame has no name but it's Columbus Cromor tubing, and it's slightly too small for me. Most of the bike is 30 years old.

Parts are Campagnolo Record brake, hubs, seatpin, chainset.

80s 28 hole Mavic sprints; CX18, and GEL280 (actual weight 300g), NOS Clement and Vittoria tubs.

3ttt stem and ITM bars.

"Bernard Hinault" Turbo saddle, which I bought new in 1984.

Gear is 46x18.

Seriously good  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7382 on: 21 September, 2014, 08:32:40 pm »
OK, so I do a bit of cycling, and some fettling, now and again... I'm  not hooked... I can stop any time I want to....

It's just that I don't want to...  ;D

Man cave clearout necessitated the fleet being lined up... in my defence, we are a 5 person household...  :facepalm:

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #7383 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:50:53 pm »
Finished the Ribble 525 today, really impressed with the quality for the price, all threads were clean and it built really easy.

Only did a short test ride to check all is ok but really pleased with it  :)

Will post a better picture asap.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7384 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »
Yeah, decking needs weeding . . .

Marmite?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #7385 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:37:04 pm »
Finished the Ribble 525 today, really impressed with the quality for the price, all threads were clean and it built really easy.

Only did a short test ride to check all is ok but really pleased with it  :)

Will post a better picture asap.

I'm now about to ping a link to your Thorn to my mate who wants a winter bike (although I don't think he'll want anything quite so nice or to pay that much)........I prefer the Thorn to the Ribble although it does look quite nice - be for sale in a few weeks anyway! :-)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7386 on: 22 September, 2014, 08:09:02 am »
Gene, am I right in thinking that the forks are the same as on Ribble's alloy winter / audax frame and therefore you struggle to get 25c and mudguards to fit?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7387 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:03:29 am »
Gene, am I right in thinking that the forks are the same as on Ribble's alloy winter / audax frame and therefore you struggle to get 25c and mudguards to fit?

SKS 'Raceblade Long' are your friends . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7388 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:07:26 am »
*Shudders*

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7389 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:07:46 am »

OD, I remember a few tests of this frameset when it came out saying that 23s and 'guards were comfortable, but 25s weren't. I think it may even say something similar on the Ribble site. But, of course, you don't have to use Ribble forks - Kinesis make carbon forks which will take 28s under 'guards. If the rear triangle has a bit more room than the Ribble forks, that could sort the issue.

Edit: looking at Gene's picture, the rear brake bridge looks tight too.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7390 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:25:47 am »
I thought as much which is a shame. On the other hand Ribble's carbon winter bike can easily take 25c tyres and 'guards.

« Reply #7391 on: 22 September, 2014, 08:49:37 pm »

OD, I remember a few tests of this frameset when it came out saying that 23s and 'guards were comfortable, but 25s weren't. I think it may even say something similar on the Ribble site. But, of course, you don't have to use Ribble forks - Kinesis make carbon forks which will take 28s under 'guards. If the rear triangle has a bit more room than the Ribble forks, that could sort the issue.

Edit: looking at Gene's picture, the rear brake bridge looks tight too.

It is very tight I am running 23c Duranos and it has little or no spare room, biggest issue is that it only runs standard drop brakes.

One other thing I have noticed today is that I do not think it is Reynolds 525 tubing throughout, the sticker says Reynolds 525 butted seat tube.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7392 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :o

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon:)

26x15 before anyone asks and yes, there's a reason for it.

Chris N

« Reply #7393 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:20:51 pm »
Lovely.  :thumbsup:

Chainstay clearance?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7394 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:22:27 pm »
Lovely.  :thumbsup:

Chainstay clearance?
A bit more prosaic than that - 26T was the biggest 58mm BCD ring I could (easily) get hold of.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7395 on: 22 September, 2014, 10:03:26 pm »
OK, so I do a bit of cycling, and some fettling, now and again... I'm  not hooked... I can stop any time I want to....

Man cave clearout necessitated the fleet being lined up... in my defence, we are a 5 person household...  :facepalm:

It's quite a menagerie, but I don't see a giraffe...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7396 on: 23 September, 2014, 08:08:16 am »

It's quite a menagerie, but I don't see a giraffe...

;D

the giraffe (unicycle) I built from an old BMX aged 17 (I had a local welder TIG it together) is currently in my mother's shed! and it's staying there - it flexes alarmingly when ridden....  and I'm no longer 17... (and the Bikerton's in the FiL's barn  :facepalm:)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #7397 on: 23 September, 2014, 06:01:59 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :o

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon:)

Looking at this isn't helping the n+1 itch :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7398 on: 23 September, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :jurek:

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon: )

This might help that itch?

« Reply #7399 on: 23 September, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »

Pugsley in singlespeed mode before I fitted the new pedals (Saint MX80s - God's own flattie) - I did consider fixed 'n fat until I actually priced up the cost of a new rear wheel. That ain't gonna happen any time soon  :jurek:

He's currently on loan to one of the lads at the LBS who's fat-curious, but I suspect I'll be logging a fair few miles once I'm out of plaster on the fairly sensible premise that 4" tyres at 20psi will be kinder to my wrist than 2.2s at 40psi (although I could fit a Big Fat Larry 4.8 on the front if I wanted to  :demon: )

This might help that itch?

Don't take this the wrong waybut

Bastard ;)

I love your bike

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert