Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451653 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8900 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:46:28 am »
I love how bikes evolve over the years you own them, an upgrade here, a modification there.  Dakota has evolved into this winter's bike.  Schwalbe Durano Plus boots fitted and a new B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium Senso Plus powered by a dyno hub front wheel I already had...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8901 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:54:37 am »
That's looking really well. Evolution, it's the future . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8902 on: 24 October, 2018, 10:03:12 am »
That's looking really well. Evolution, it's the future . . .

We out this evening and its going to be interesting to see if 23mm Durano Plus boots and the different front wheel adversely impacts the ride.  Dakota's Ambrosio wheels are just lovely when shod with 25mm GP 4 Seasons.

« Reply #8903 on: 27 October, 2018, 03:44:33 pm »

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8904 on: 27 October, 2018, 03:49:14 pm »
What are them rims? Is it Ti rear and fork +seat post too?

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8905 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:00:28 pm »

Joseph Kuosac carbon fibre rimmed wheels.
Ti rear triangle.
Ti front fork.
Brompification Ti seatpost.
Joseph Kuosac lightweight saddle - so comfortable that I've bought a second one and put it on the commuter.
Ti Parts Workshop removable pedals. I had Brompification ones on there, but they fell apart in fairly short order and SJS kindly refunded me fully.
I expect the TPW ones will disintegrate likewise - the bearings are of the size of those one might install in a watch....
Ti Parts Workshop eazy wheels.
Shimano Alfine chainset and bottom bracket - That was a mistake - although it looks better, it is a few ounces heavier than the Brompton original.
If they made the Metrea with a chainring bigger than 46T, I'd fit one in a heartbeat - just for the aesthetics.
Brompification self-aligning frame clamps.
A handful of Ti fasteners.
Sub 11kg 9kg.
Just.

It would've been cheaper to buy a yacht and keep it moored in Marbella for a few years.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8906 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:20:27 pm »
I checked out Charlie's Ti brommy single speed last weekend, must be circa 8kg! Looked at the prices for parts for similar and it's getting on for a few grand!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8907 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:34:08 pm »
I checked out Charlie's Ti brommy single speed last weekend, must be circa 8kg! Looked at the prices for parts for similar and it's getting on for a few grand!
I've just put it on the scales again - it's a smidge under 9kg

« Reply #8908 on: 27 October, 2018, 05:08:23 pm »
I love how bikes evolve over the years you own them, an upgrade here, a modification there.  Dakota has evolved into this winter's bike.  Schwalbe Durano Plus boots fitted and a new B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium Senso Plus powered by a dyno hub front wheel I already had...

Looking good! :-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8909 on: 27 October, 2018, 05:42:46 pm »
I've just put it on the scales again - it's a smidge under 9kg
Mine's 21lb without pedals, which is 9.5kg in French - but it does have 3 gears.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8910 on: 27 October, 2018, 06:24:25 pm »

Looking good! :-)

Thanks, the Durano Plus boots have killed the ride a bit but are worth it enhanced p-thingy resistance. But Dakota is still a quick bike!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8911 on: 27 October, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8912 on: 28 October, 2018, 12:00:06 am »
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #8913 on: 28 October, 2018, 12:09:35 am »

Joseph Kuosac carbon fibre rimmed wheels.
Ti rear triangle.
Ti front fork.
Brompification Ti seatpost.
Joseph Kuosac lightweight saddle - so comfortable that I've bought a second one and put it on the commuter.
Ti Parts Workshop removable pedals. I had Brompification ones on there, but they fell apart in fairly short order and SJS kindly refunded me fully.
Ti Parts Workshop eazy wheels.
Shimano Alfine chainset and bottom bracket - That was a mistake - although it looks better, it is a few ounces heavier than the Brompton original.
If they made the Metrea with a chainring bigger than 46T, I'd fit one in a heartbeat - just for the aesthetics.
Brompification self-aligning frame clamps.
A handful of Ti fasteners.
Sub 11kg 9kg.
Just.

It would've been cheaper to buy a yacht and keep it moored in Marbella for a few years.
Oh I say....very nice indeed.
BTW, that's still cheap compared to one of these....no, it's not a Brompton, it's all custom...and Ti...

rogerzilla

« Reply #8914 on: 28 October, 2018, 07:28:16 am »
I wonder if the Bromptonification post is the same as the J&L Taiwanese post you can get on fleaBay?  It's well-made if a bit flexible.  The OEM Brompton Ti post wasn"t made for long - apparently they had a few failures.

I had one of those Driveline chainguards on the M-type.

There are bits you can remove to save another pound  ;)

Samuel D

« Reply #8915 on: 28 October, 2018, 08:48:35 am »
I hesitate to ask for fear of causing offence, but what is the point of deep-section rims on a bicycle with tiny and therefore low-drag rims? Especially since a Brompton will be ridden slowly for other reasons (not least the massive rolling resistance and suspension losses of those tiny, thin tyres).

« Reply #8916 on: 28 October, 2018, 08:53:37 am »
Rad / mad aesthetics.
No offence taken.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8917 on: 28 October, 2018, 10:01:27 am »
I hesitate to ask for fear of causing offence, but what is the point of deep-section rims on a bicycle with tiny and therefore low-drag rims? Especially since a Brompton will be ridden slowly for other reasons (not least the massive rolling resistance and suspension losses of those tiny, thin tyres).

Rad innit bruv

« Reply #8918 on: 28 October, 2018, 10:19:44 am »
I wonder if the Bromptonification post is the same as the J&L Taiwanese post you can get on fleaBay?  It's well-made if a bit flexible.  The OEM Brompton Ti post wasn"t made for long - apparently they had a few failures.

I had one of those Driveline chainguards on the M-type.

There are bits you can remove to save another pound  ;)
My bold.
It isn't the same.

I wonder which bits to take off you are referring to Rog?
Removing the folding pedal has to be the biggest weight loss winner. It really is a boat anchor.

« Reply #8919 on: 28 October, 2018, 10:26:35 am »
Mudguards ?  They must weigh a ton !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #8920 on: 28 October, 2018, 10:34:25 am »
You are Simon Legg AICMFP!  ;D

« Reply #8921 on: 28 October, 2018, 10:38:58 am »
<snip>
BTW, that's still cheap compared to one of these....no, it's not a Brompton, it's all custom...and Ti...

I read somewhere that the tolerances on the few Ti Brompton copies which have been built are spectacularly shite - particularly in areas such as the hinges  and rear triangle swing.
ETA - and what is going on with that forward stem extension? Assuming the rest of the frame geometry is similar/copied, that would surely offer an over-stretched ride position. No?
Having said that, the wheelbase on that Ti example looks significantly shorter than that of current Bromptons.
It looks like a copy of the old style frame.

rogerzilla

« Reply #8922 on: 28 October, 2018, 11:50:03 am »
And the front luggage block!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8923 on: 28 October, 2018, 04:40:15 pm »
The single heaviest part is the frame.
HTH
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8924 on: 28 October, 2018, 05:04:11 pm »
Shimano Alfine chainset and bottom bracket

You can do a lot better than those if you want weight saving!