Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451643 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1525 on: 13 May, 2009, 06:13:37 am »
Whey hey !!! 

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #1526 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:52:13 am »
Is it Sardar? I wish I never sold mine. It's a mistake to sell bikes I've learnt.

LEE

« Reply #1527 on: 13 May, 2009, 08:56:56 am »
Hooray!  :D

N+1 time!!

Took a day off work, went darn sarf,  came back with this.

Well pleased  :thumbsup:

As you can see, I've also nicked GruB's wall.  ;D

Looks nice and butch.  Reminds me of my Thorn Raven geometry (ie.  You can carry a passenger in the gap behind the seatpost and rear wheel).

With that geometry and those tyres you won't need to bother avoiding potholes now.

« Reply #1528 on: 13 May, 2009, 10:30:30 am »

Looks nice and butch.  Reminds me of my Thorn Raven geometry (ie.  You can carry a passenger in the gap behind the seatpost and rear wheel).

With that geometry and those tyres you won't need to bother avoiding potholes now.

And you can sleep while riding along on audax night sections too

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1529 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:29:08 pm »
Is it Sardar? I wish I never sold mine. It's a mistake to sell bikes I've learnt.

Yup.  'tis indeed a Sardar.  I've been after one for yonks as it really fits the bill for my needs in parts Welsh.  Untill now I've either been too late when they appear on message boards or dropped out of the bidding on ebay when the price began to get silly.

Its a 2003 but still in very good condition for its age.  STIs still firm and quick, barely a mark on the frame.
150 squids.  :)

Those tyres are 40mm  :o  which is somewhat over the top.  I'll be calming that down to 32mm or so. 

I ajusted the saddle height and the handle bar rake, fitted an old pair of SPDs and commuted in on it this morning.  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to delivering/riding it from Brum to Llandysul some time this summer.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #1530 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:30:47 pm »
I almost cry when I look at this and think it's no longer mine

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1531 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:00:57 pm »
I almost cry when I look at this and think it's no longer mine

Ooh, that's purdy!
N-1 error I'm afraid, Blah.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1532 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #1533 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:30:07 am »
So my Surly Cross-Check frame turned up at the end of March.

I had been accumulating parts for it over the winter, including building my own wheels for the first time using Roger Musson's approach - dead easy.

andrew_s very kindly came over with a bag of tools :thumbsup: to help me fit the headset (Cane Creek S3). I took the silver Surly ā€œSā€ badge off the headtube because it had been stuck on really wonky.

I did some in situ radial truing using strips of insulating tape across the forks and seatstays.  Wheels are Rigida Sputnik rims (19mm) with bog standard spokes and Surly hubs (130mm fixed-free rear).

Truvativ Howitzer external BB and Truvativ blaze cranks (later replaced with Hussefelt) went on.

Salsa bars to go with Salsa stem.

Tektro 520 canti brakes fitted, with black Tektro levers.  Blaze cranks have been replaced by Hussefelt DH cranks.  44t Gusset Tribal chainring fitted, plus a kmc 3/32ā€œ chain to a Shimano 18t freewheel.  The rear hub will get a fixed sprocket on the other side in due course.

2mm spacers can just be seen between crank spider and chainring here - these were required to move the chainring even further inboard.  I needed 14mm chainring bolts because of the spacers and the very thick chainring.

Rear hub and freewheel closeup

Blue cork bar tape fitted, plain flat pedals fitted, she is ready to go.  Saddle is a Selle Italia XO.

Since that last photo was taken she has got a bottle cage, saddle pack and Time Z Freeride pedals - chunky but nice! Also the Froggleg rear cable hanger has been junked and I'm back using the Surly seatclamp and hanger that came with the frame.  Now just need lights, guards and a rack :D.  And a name  :-\. And a better photo.

She's lovely to ride.  I'm enjoying the 38mm tyres but will also get some 28mm Panaracers for better conditions.  I may also put my B17 on there.

I sometimes wonder if I'd have been better off waiting for a lovely 'Creamroller' frame as this bike is likely to remain a one-cog affair.  But with the CC I do have the option of going to a geared setup, also it has more mounts for touring.  But the black is a bit forbidding perhaps?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1534 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:53:00 am »
Nice looking bike! I want a go!

Good work fella!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1535 on: 15 May, 2009, 09:59:48 am »
Nice bike, but nice build, but... get those bars sorted! They look about 45 degrees off  :hand:

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #1536 on: 15 May, 2009, 10:14:52 am »
Too high you mean?
I'll experiment.  They feel right for me at the moment.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1537 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »
Too high you mean?
I'll experiment.  They feel right for me at the moment.

Whatever feels right for you is the correct answer. Wouldn't have them tilting up like that myself, mind.

Beautiful job, though. Enjoyed the step-by-step pictorial.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #1538 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  I guess the bar angle suits my wrists?  I have relatively short arms and long legs, it's a 62cm frame and the angle, plus the 80mm stem, helps me reach the hoods :)

I will see what it's like with the bars flatter though.  I hadn't even thought about changing it until Rhys mentioned it.  I'm not exactly racer build though  :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1539 on: 15 May, 2009, 02:25:19 pm »
I tend to ride with the tops of my bars flat and the brake hoods rather high up for most people's tastes.  But when I was struggling more with pain from my broken wrist, I angled the bars up, and it provided some relief.
Getting there...

« Reply #1540 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:08:20 pm »
You would struggle to ride on the drops; they do look too "rotated" upward.
Frenchie - Train Ć  Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1541 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:13:05 pm »
I'd have them up like that.  Looks pretty comfy.

It's good to see a bike set up for a personal comfort reason, rather than to follow the fashion police.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #1542 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:25:25 pm »
My Omega

This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #1543 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »
you've bent the seatstays!!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1544 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:27:39 pm »
Rug's a bit slack ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1545 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:29:18 pm »
nice pouffe.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1546 on: 16 May, 2009, 04:57:08 pm »
nice pouffe.

REG!

You're wanted!  ;D

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1547 on: 16 May, 2009, 05:14:55 pm »

The idea of randomly stickering the frame was nicked off inspired by Kyuss, though he mightn't want to take the blame.

Saddle courtesy of Aidan :)

Now I just need to fit mudguards and sort out that cable run on the front brake.

rdaviesb

« Reply #1548 on: 17 May, 2009, 12:40:37 pm »
Nearly finished Enigma Etape. Just waiting from a set of handbuilt wheels from Paul Hewitt. This bike is already far better than I am a rider!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1549 on: 17 May, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
Oh...I thought those wheels looked quite funky  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.