Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451453 times)

Clandy

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2975 on: 04 April, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »
I had the choice of TSR27 or TSR30, I spoke to people who know, and the consensus was go for the TSR27 because the triple on the TSR30 is too temperamental. As far as I am aware the frames in the TSR range are all the same (apart from material, i.e. a titanium rear triangle on the 30), only the running gear is different.
I kept the SRAM trigger shifters, which means the tops are a little crowded, but thats no problem. There is still room for a bell and Cateye Strada wireless computer.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2976 on: 05 April, 2010, 09:52:40 am »
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Clandy

« Reply #2977 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:02:42 am »

Chain's a bit . . .

Probably because it's used regularly and isn't just some fashionista's piece of jewellery.

« Reply #2978 on: 05 April, 2010, 10:18:11 am »
You're new here, aren't you?  ;D

Chain's a bit . . .

Probably because it's used regularly and isn't just some fashionista's piece of jewellery.

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #2979 on: 05 April, 2010, 11:16:36 am »
I had the choice of TSR27 or TSR30, I spoke to people who know, and the consensus was go for the TSR27 because the triple on the TSR30 is too temperamental. As far as I am aware the frames in the TSR range are all the same (apart from material, i.e. a titanium rear triangle on the 30), only the running gear is different.
I kept the SRAM trigger shifters, which means the tops are a little crowded, but thats no problem. There is still room for a bell and Cateye Strada wireless computer.

I hadn't realised that the rear triangle on the TSR30 was titanium.  Interesting comment about the triple being "temperamental" - I've tried to run a triple on my AM (62-52-39) with the inner being for granny gearing - but it too has proved temperamental, throwing the chain inwards with nasty results  :(.  The TSR27 might be a better way of getting a nice spread of gears, plus I'm not too keen the idea of a 10 speed cassette.

Clandy

« Reply #2980 on: 05 April, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »

I hadn't realised that the rear triangle on the TSR30 was titanium.  Interesting comment about the triple being "temperamental" - I've tried to run a triple on my AM (62-52-39) with the inner being for granny gearing - but it too has proved temperamental, throwing the chain inwards with nasty results  :(.  The TSR27 might be a better way of getting a nice spread of gears, plus I'm not too keen the idea of a 10 speed cassette.

It was an option when I bought the 27 in 2008. Don't know if it still is. I have also heard of people having problems with the indexing on the 10 speed cassette.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2981 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:24:31 pm »

Sir, you have a woman's bike !

</Mad Captain Rum>

;)

(I actually really liked your Kona, I'm afraid)

I'll indulge you with a picture of my Kona before long :)

And a review too.

« Reply #2982 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:29:28 pm »
It's like the McCarthy witch-hunts of the 1950s.  Zoidburg is the chair of the Un-Fixed Activities Committee and you can denounce the fakenger in the works bike shed simply by PMing him.

I would like to state at this time that I am not now and have never been... a Nathan Barley Fakenger...  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2983 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:42:12 pm »
Back on topic . . .

I haz anuvver DynaTech  ;D

I'm building this up with a 'period' mix of components but it is mostly STX RC and will feature BBB leather grips and a matching tan Spoon saddle, Panaracer Smoke and Dart folding tyres and a  . . . dessert to be announced!

And now I feel smugly justified in hoarding all that sh1te over the years.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #2984 on: 14 April, 2010, 10:54:35 pm »
If you want to be really old-skool, I haz a set of STX-RC cantis with Ritchey blocks. :demon: ;D :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Zoidburg

« Reply #2985 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:01:41 pm »
I had problems getting a dynatech - M-trax to work with Vs

My Dynatech of the space shuttle glued lugs era was too narrow for Vs.

Go canti!

:thumbsup:

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2986 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »
Back on topic . . .

I haz anuvver DynaTech  ;D

Hurry up and put it together.
And whilst ur at it, shrink it a bit so I can have a go!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2987 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:40:28 pm »
If you want to be really old-skool, I haz a set of STX-RC cantis with Ritchey blocks. :demon: ;D :demon:

I would be delighted to bid you for them if the Vs won't work! I'll keep you posted on that, you too, Zoiders, Old Chap.

Dan. I'll get it in the washing machine some time this weekend, K?

BTW, anyone want to come for a ride one weekend? Nothing too strenuous, in fact not strenuous at all really, due to the fact that I am now so fat that I have my own gravitational field

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

« Reply #2988 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »

BTW, anyone want to come for a ride one weekend? Nothing too strenuous, in fact not strenuous at all really, due to the fact that I am now so fat that I have my own gravitational field

We're out for rides most Saturdays, going out into Cheshire from South Manchester and we sometimes do short rides on Sunday afternoons so we could be up for something.
Failing that, Chorlton Wanderers do sedate rides on the 2nd Sunday of the month. They leave Chorlton Water Park at 10.15 and, generally, go out to a Cheshire pub for lunch before cycling back. The Wanders were my introduction to regular cycling and they still get newcomers as well as more experienced riders as well.
Nowadays I tend to use them as social events involving bikes  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2989 on: 15 April, 2010, 12:38:42 am »
That's kind, Choccers but I'm afraid at the mo I wouldn't even make Chorlton without resorting to the train, never mind from Chorlton out to Cheshire and back again!
VELOMANCER

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2990 on: 15 April, 2010, 09:23:23 am »
That's kind, Choccers but I'm afraid at the mo I wouldn't even make Chorlton without resorting to the train, never mind from Chorlton out to Cheshire and back again!

I should be able to get a pass out for half a day on Sunday?

[/ot]

Bad camera phone photo:

Third day of commuting today. It's turning out to be a great package. The wheels, or really the rims, really really let it down. They are heavy. They don't have a CNC machined braking surface either which lets braking down a bit. Reasonable hubs and stainless spokes tho!

Despite that, I'm averaging high teens going to work and mid-teens getting home. Thus far it's about 2 mph slower on average than the Focus Cayo and 3 mph faster than the Cannondale MTB on 1.5" Marathons.

The wheels/rims are only change I would make. Aside from trimming the steerer ;)

« Reply #2991 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:17:05 pm »

Sounds like the Wanderers rides are perfect for you Tor- we go at the speed of the slowest rider and, I'm guessing, it won't be you. Plus there's no shame in turning up at the start with "Bike inna car".
Next ride is 9 May. It's 40 miles to Goostrey and back. The lunch-time pub serves good food and BEER.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2992 on: 16 April, 2010, 04:41:37 pm »
Somebody pointed out this picture, on somebody else's flickr stream, of the Very Lovely Valencia out for a spin the other day.

They were highly entertained by the tree hat effect.  What you can't see is me trying to work out where the eldest cub has gone!

(I'm also horrified by how gigantic my bum is!)

« Reply #2993 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:08:06 pm »
I'd vote for flat bars  ;D  The black guards look better though.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2994 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »
Plan B looks better than Plan A.
Is P.B a better ride than P.A?

« Reply #2995 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »
Plan B looks better than Plan A.
Is P.B a better ride than P.A?

Yes much better ride.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2996 on: 19 April, 2010, 07:35:19 pm »
N+1. Thanks to my employer...

Genesis Core 40

This is what it replaced:

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2997 on: 19 April, 2010, 09:17:04 pm »
Well, if you're gonna have bar ends, get some big'uns!

Clandy

« Reply #2998 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:26:04 am »
Went to Wales last week, took the opportunity to get some side by side shots of my TSR and my mother's all original '60s Moulton Speed:

LindaG

« Reply #2999 on: 20 April, 2010, 10:49:58 am »
Fantastic pics!  Maybe we could have that second shot on next year's calendar?   :D

So your mum still rides it does she?