Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451594 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #3700 on: 24 September, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »
I'm sorry to say it, and this is only my personal aesthetic sensibility, but on a scale of zero to wrong, that's way up at the wrong end.

Why? I thought it was rather fetching...

Like I said, this is just personal taste, but:

1) Brooks saddle on a carbon frame?  :hand: You Brooks people like 1940s technology on your bums but prefer 21st Century technology under your hands. Why?
2) Saddle is slammed all the way forwards, which suggests the frame is the wrong size.
3) Bars are almost level with the saddle, which suggests the frame is the wrong size.
4) Bars are pointed up, which again, suggests the frame is the wrong size.
5) Horrible "girls's bike" frame with sloping top tube and "sportive" long headtube, made even worse by gimmicky elastomer inserts in the stays and forks.

MattH, I wish you many happy miles on your steed, but it just doesn't float my boat. In your defence, I notice you don't have 3cm of spacers above the stem and big eff-off saddlebag.

BTW, I posted a link to an ebay auction yesterday to what I consider a very classy-looking machine and I had plenty of people replying with  :sick: or "fugly", so I can take it as well as give it. I hate to sound negative - I love all bicycles, but some are good-looking, others look, well, functional!

:)

« Reply #3701 on: 25 September, 2010, 01:23:48 am »

1) Brooks saddle on a carbon frame?  :hand: You Brooks people like 1940s technology on your bums but prefer 21st Century technology under your hands. Why?

Because it works  :) Seriously, if I can get off a bike having ridden 1000km in the last three days and have no backside issues, then I don't care how old the technology that achieved that is.

2) Saddle is slammed all the way forwards, which suggests the frame is the wrong size.
3) Bars are almost level with the saddle, which suggests the frame is the wrong size.
4) Bars are pointed up, which again, suggests the frame is the wrong size.

The saddle and pointed-up bars were wrong, the fit hadn't been tweaked (and as I'd assembled it at an angle on a stand, the bars actually looked right when I bolted them on). I've tried this frame size and the next one up in stock bikes; the next one was definitely too big.

For bar height, that was due to back problems. Earlier this summer I realised that I don't have the problem any more (a core strength increase, I guess), but I've only just started to gradually lower them to gain a more aero position now that my main goals for the audax season are done - I didn't want to risk a DNF due to making too radical a difference. I rode LEL and Mille Cymru with the bars higher than my saddle on my Audax MK3!

5) Horrible "girls's bike" frame with sloping top tube and "sportive" long headtube, made even worse by gimmicky elastomer inserts in the stays and forks.

I don't dispute that the elastomer is ugly. Gimmicky? Well, the Roubaix is one of the smoothest riding carbon frames. Perhaps it's the inserts, perhaps something else. Whatever the reason, it works. If  I wanted a harsh sunday racer, I'd have gone for a Tarmac (or, more likely, one of any number of carbon race bikes). But that's not what this bike is for - I'm aiming for a fast long distance machine that I can sit on for days on end (but hopefully not as many days as it takes me on my Audax MK3!).

MattH, I wish you many happy miles on your steed, but it just doesn't float my boat.

I can understand that. I don't think anyone would claim the Roubaix is particularly pretty. I came very close to building a Cervelo RS instead, which is much prettier, but in the end the ride wasn't as good and as all I'll see is the top tube when sitting on it, I don't care  :) I did also consider a new Ti, 853 or 953 build, but ultimately that would have ended up with a bike too similar to my existing audax bike, just a bit lighter.

In your defence, I notice you don't have 3cm of spacers above the stem and big eff-off saddlebag.

It's only missing the bag because I've not got around to fitting it! I'm sure you'll love the way that it balances out the bike once I've got one on it. Carradice and carbon - a marriage made in heaven.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3702 on: 25 September, 2010, 02:07:37 am »
There's no pleasing some people. Bollox to the style police, mate.

'You 'ave it 'ow yer wannit, innit'

There's no right or wrong with a bike, part of the joy of owning one (or a dozen) is that it doesn't matter who made it, its the individual that owns it who puts his character into it.

Clumsy wording but it's 2am and i'm bladdered . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

gordon taylor

« Reply #3703 on: 25 September, 2010, 04:01:19 am »

I'm sorry to say it, and this is only my personal aesthetic sensibility, but on a scale of zero to wrong, that's way up at the wrong end.

That's strange, because my initial impression was "Wow!"
That's the most perfect roadbike I've ever seen. I love the smooth lines. If I was slim and loaded, I'd order one of those today.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3704 on: 25 September, 2010, 05:45:14 am »
The taller head tube and bars does not suprise me for a sportive bike, the saddle height and position dont seem that odd IMHO.

It might look a bit funny but compact frames work within a larger size bracket so it's not unusual to see one person running less post than others will, not everyone runs a compact with the post at the very limit of extension.

If there was a less post showing I would say it's the wrong size but I don't think the bike we are seeing is the wrong size.

I see some people post pics of compact and even non compact frames that are very obviously too big but it's not the case with this one.

« Reply #3705 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:34:55 am »
Just put together my new bike.

2010 S-Works Roubaix frame, full SRAM red groupset, ultegra/open pro wheels, and, of course, a Brooks Swift saddle (partly because the weight of it will stop the bike blowing away!).

Lots of tweaking is still needed to get everything in the right place, hopefully the weather will be good enough tomorrow for a proper ride.

Looks good MattH  :)
That is brilliant feeling when you put a bike together and take it on the road for the first time  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3706 on: 25 September, 2010, 08:29:04 am »

The best of both worlds.Comfort & convenience.The Brooks black Swallow on my full carbon Trek with 24 spoke wheels looks  like a fine "old & new" mix  to me .
The black B17-narrow looks equaly good on a Langster with sloping top tube.
The  honey B17 standard on the front of the Dawes tandem looks nicely traditional.
Brooks: the Marmite of saddles.Either love 'em or hate 'em.It does help if you have a Brooks-compatible bum-bone ;D

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3707 on: 25 September, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »
There's no pleasing some people. Bollox to the style police, mate.

Quite :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3708 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »
Earlier today. At the top of a little hill:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3709 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

Cwl!  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3710 on: 25 September, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

You are literally just up the road from my son's home

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3711 on: 25 September, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
Auntie C . . .

Why have you stuck my name on your bike?
VELOMANCER

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3712 on: 25 September, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »
Auntie C . . .

Because I'm stalking you.

(Currently posting via mobile interwebs from under your bed...)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3713 on: 25 September, 2010, 10:27:07 pm »

Don't knock it until you've tried it!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3714 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:01:57 am »
Auntie C . . .

Because I'm stalking you.  :o

(Currently posting via mobile interwebs from under your bed...)

I hope we didn't disturb you last night (for once Mrs Torslanda was not wearing either the horned helmet or the heavy metal breastplate)  ;)

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  ;D
VELOMANCER

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3715 on: 26 September, 2010, 10:41:45 am »

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  ;D

You know full well that it's foolish to do that,with this lot ::-)

LEE

« Reply #3716 on: 26 September, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

I bet that was a mid-blowing ride down t'other side.  Care to mention the speeds involved?

I've never managed to get to the YHA in time to ride down in daylight and never ridden North to South over there.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3717 on: 26 September, 2010, 11:18:20 am »

I've never managed to get to the YHA in time to ride down in daylight and never ridden North to South over there.

That's a good reason to organise yourself a "North/South Daylight in Pen-y-Pass" ride. :)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3718 on: 26 September, 2010, 01:29:55 pm »
Just put together my new bike.

2010 S-Works Roubaix frame, full SRAM red groupset, ultegra/open pro wheels, and, of course, a Brooks Swift saddle (partly because the weight of it will stop the bike blowing away!).

Lots of tweaking is still needed to get everything in the right place, hopefully the weather will be good enough tomorrow for a proper ride.

Nice & will look even better with a carradice & bagman on the back.  As you say carradice & carbon is a match made in heaven  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #3719 on: 26 September, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »
What are the electrical gubbins on the fork for? 

It's a USB charger runniing from the dynohub.  It seems to have worked pretty well - I might orrganise myself enough to write a proper review soon.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3720 on: 26 September, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »

I bet that was a mid-blowing ride down t'other side.  Care to mention the speeds involved?

I can do better than that. I was wearing a head-cam. When I get home and sort out the editing, there will be video...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3721 on: 28 September, 2010, 04:26:08 am »
What are the electrical gubbins on the fork for? 

It's a USB charger runniing from the dynohub.  It seems to have worked pretty well - I might orrganise myself enough to write a proper review soon.

Excellent.  Give me a nudge when you post the review, I wouldn't want to miss it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3722 on: 28 September, 2010, 01:42:01 pm »

I reached a maximum speed of 42mph on that one, so not especially fast, but awesomely fun.

The vertical speed readout on the Garmin was more impressive.  When I could read it.  Which wasn't very often at the rate my eyes were watering.  The video says the rest.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3723 on: 28 September, 2010, 03:36:41 pm »
Charlotte, what sort helmet cam did you use?

« Reply #3724 on: 28 September, 2010, 07:57:46 pm »

Some people cant cope with bars much lower than the saddle. Mine are level with the saddle and my neck still hurts after a long ride. I don't have a very mobile neck and I guess others might be the same.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.