Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2451485 times)

corshamjim

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4375 on: 21 April, 2011, 10:13:54 pm »
I have 3 bikes too, but two of them I'd happily do without.  Do you spend a few minutes each morning deciding which to ride?  They all look great!

« Reply #4376 on: 22 April, 2011, 12:25:07 am »
No decision, if the bike needs to be locked in public, or I'm just pootling, then it's the Dawes. Commuting and training it's the Vaya or Dawes as a backup and social riding it would be Vaya or Burls depending on conditions and luggage requirements, but Burls through preference.

To be honest the Burls is the expendable one, that was the indulgence as opposed to being needed. At least one of the other two is used daily and I plan on adding a Carry Freedom Y frame trailer in large to expand shopping trip potential.

At some point I hope to upgrade the Vaya to an Alfine 11 hub gear and use the SRAM I-9 on the Dawes. Though I may replace the Dawes frame with a 29er frame so that it has a bit more offroad potential. I'm a bit anal about having versatility and a backup constantly ready  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #4377 on: 22 April, 2011, 03:14:20 am »
Nice bikes MacB. They also looks very clean  :o

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4378 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:47:50 am »
the bike that i do most miles on. commuter, tourer, audax, do-it-all bike. assembled with reliability and comfort in mind. the fit and position are great, and i can live on it for couple of days no problem. the bike in the photos is set up for a 475k weekend tour including 200k audax ride (under 8hrs). the weather was fine, hence minimal luggage. eight gears 30"- 86", brooks b17, marathon+ 25c tyres, deore+mavic a319 wheels, tektro disc brake, alloy frame with steel fork, zoom touring handlebars with ergo grips.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4379 on: 22 April, 2011, 11:03:25 am »
I'm a bit anal about having versatility and a backup constantly ready  ;D

very nice bikes, all quite similar! you are lacking a folder for versatility ;D

« Reply #4380 on: 22 April, 2011, 11:08:26 am »
alloy frame with steel fork

Interesting bike, ZigZag - and a very unusual frame - what frame is it, exactly?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4381 on: 22 April, 2011, 11:22:22 am »

Interesting bike, ZigZag - and a very unusual frame - what frame is it, exactly?

it's a decathlon "b'twin triban 5" frame. what i like about it that it is possible to install the lowest chainring possible and front mech wouldn't foul the chainstays (but i don't use front gears, as in my view the mech design is flawed and doomed to failure :D). there's also a handy "pocket" in a frame above bb to store overshoes, not-so-compact camera etc. the frame can take 50mm balloon tyres without mudguards, or 42mm with.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4382 on: 22 April, 2011, 11:48:04 am »
No decision, if the bike needs to be locked in public, or I'm just pootling, then it's the Dawes. Commuting and training it's the Vaya or Dawes as a backup and social riding it would be Vaya or Burls depending on conditions and luggage requirements, but Burls through preference.

To be honest the Burls is the expendable one, that was the indulgence as opposed to being needed. At least one of the other two is used daily and I plan on adding a Carry Freedom Y frame trailer in large to expand shopping trip potential.

At some point I hope to upgrade the Vaya to an Alfine 11 hub gear and use the SRAM I-9 on the Dawes. Though I may replace the Dawes frame with a 29er frame so that it has a bit more offroad potential. I'm a bit anal about having versatility and a backup constantly ready  ;D

Top looking stable there, MacB, I really cannot decide which one I like best. Full marks to you.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4383 on: 22 April, 2011, 11:49:50 am »

it's a decathlon "b'twin triban 5" frame. what i like about it that it is possible to install the lowest chainring possible and front mech wouldn't foul the chainstays (but i don't use front gears, as in my view the mech design is flawed and doomed to failure :D). there's also a handy "pocket" in a frame above bb to store overshoes, not-so-compact camera etc. the frame can take 50mm balloon tyres without mudguards, or 42mm with.
Another geat bike, too many all at once for me to take in on this thread. Looks like you've got it well sorted, ZigZag.

« Reply #4384 on: 22 April, 2011, 04:10:25 pm »

If I need a folder then that frame of yours looks like a perfect opporunity to try a belt drive without needing a break/coupling in the frame  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #4385 on: 22 April, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »
Nice bikes MacB. They also looks very clean  :o

Burls hadn't been ridden yet at that point and the other two, baby wipes just before the camera  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4386 on: 22 April, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »
If I need a folder then that frame of yours looks like a perfect opporunity to try a belt drive without needing a break/coupling in the frame  ;D

the frame has got that capability, but i don't do belts, chains are superior 8)

corshamjim

« Reply #4387 on: 22 April, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
zoom touring handlebars with ergo grips.

Oh gosh - more lovely handlebars.  :)  I really like that curvy frame too.  Interesting to see how the chain runs below the chainstay.

I agree with you about front derailleurs.  I've been cursing at mine all day for shifting down to the smallest chainwheel when I only wanted it to go to middle.

« Reply #4388 on: 22 April, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »

the frame has got that capability, but i don't do belts, chains are superior 8)

fair enough, by the way I just looked on Decathlon and the Triban 5 is a road frame and I couldn't find any frame like yours.

Believe it or not I have been thinking about another frame with the longer term intention of replacing the Dawes. If/when I upgrade the Vaya to the Alfine 11/SON Dyanmo hub then I'd need a home for the I-9/alfine dynamo setup. They could go on the Dawes but I'm really limited to about 700x32 tyres on that. I'm thinking a hybrid/29er frameset, clearance for up to 700x50/2" tyres, vertical dropouts, v/canti bosses and disc brake mounts, steel or alu frame, steel forks, mudguard mounts and rear rack eyelets.

I think you can see where I'm going here, that frame of yours looked spot on but I couldn't find it  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4389 on: 24 April, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
Another day, another mountaintop...

« Reply #4390 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:05:20 am »
My nooooooo pompetamine

And in full "hmmm.... that brick might just come in handy in my pannier"TM Woolly commute fettle stylee

Small gallery including some detail shots here: https://picasaweb.google.com/londondailyphoto/PompCircumstance#

And I am very please to announce that ANYONE detecting the slightest hint of non-tension in the drive linkage is fantasizing.

Riding experience is excellent, but there are one or two little niggles:
- The zip tying of the brake cables to the fork is primitive.
- zip ties holding cables in everywhere. OK, but they REALLY DO NEED TO BE CUT SQUARE AND FLUSH. grrr
- With the 110 stem, I am comfortable, but the steering is a tad strange. I can live with it as handling seems very nice
- Brakes needed adjustment before riding

Otherwise, smiles all round

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4391 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:13:19 am »
Nice bike, odd cranks. The bike-gestapo have been musing over it! And I've been trying to spot-the-brick too!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #4392 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:23:40 am »
Nice bike, odd cranks. The bike-gestapo have been musing over it! And I've been trying to spot-the-brick too!

Yes, indeed. To quote "CSOOTC-170-SIL-48-BS - 1 - OnOne External Bearing Track Crankset / 170 mm / Silver / 48t / Includes BSA Thread Bottom Bracket BIKE BUILD [CBOOPOMPETVERSA]" It's on my list to research to find out about.

The one thing I'm rather impressed with are the wheels, eyletted DT Swiss, XT at the front and I'd say likely to be responsible for the quality handling. Jury is out on the Schwalbe Kojaks (and I'm not too keen on them being as big - 35 ) but unless something narsty happens, I'll wear them out before changing.

border-rider

« Reply #4393 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:27:35 am »
Ooooh I do like that :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4394 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:37:34 am »
That works.
Getting there...

« Reply #4395 on: 27 April, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »
Jury is out on the Schwalbe Kojaks (and I'm not too keen on them being as big - 35 ) but unless something narsty happens, I'll wear them out before changing.

Funny, I was thinking "very nice bike, except I'd put on 50mm Kojaks instead of 35s". And while posting this I realized you must have 622 wheels and not 559... and the 622 only comes in 35, so I'm talking bullocks. (Marathon Supreme do exist in 50-622, but I hear they are Not Fast and they sure are Expensive and Heavy).
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #4396 on: 27 April, 2011, 04:19:30 pm »
Ooooh I do like that :)

Me likewise - very nice!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #4397 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »
I've a feeling that I've already posted one of this bike but since I've put the drops back on...

IMG_0817 by Hey look, it's Luke!, on Flickr

IMG_0758 by Hey look, it's Luke!, on Flickr
Don't ask.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4398 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:31:31 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4399 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:42:28 pm »
I think the Sardars are much under-rated. I know I have one. DT shifters aswell, I like, I like.