Author Topic: Physical activity guidelines for adults  (Read 1454 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Physical activity guidelines for adults
« on: 23 February, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »
A spin off from the "Eat you veg". thread

As some of you know I'm a student again and this is within my area, and I find the differences between countries intriguing.
UK guidelines for adults are :

at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity such as cycling or fast walking every week, and 
strength exercises on two or more days a week that work all the major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms).   ???

or

75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity, such as running or a game of singles tennis every week, and
strength exercises on two or more days a week that work all the major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms). ???

or

A mix of moderate and vigorous aerobic activity every week. For example, two 30-minute runs plus 30 minutes of fast walking equates to 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, and
strength exercises on two or more days a week that work all the major muscles (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms).  ???

The Danish are :
Be physically active atleast 30 min/day. Activity must be moderate to high intensity og mudst be beyond the short daily rutines. If the 30 minuttes should be split , the activity mus have a minimum time of 10 minutes.
At least twice at week you need 20 minutes high intensity physical activity, to maintain or increase fitness and musclemass. There must be activities that increase bonestrength and mobility. ???

I know the Danish are minimum recommendations. They have been made so they won't discourage people, and are where the scientists see a improved or a steady health. :thumbsup:

In fact the recommendations should say minimum 1hour/day for the maximum benefits. ::-) ::-)

How many in the UK knows they recommendations and try to live up to them. I know this forum is an exception.

Re: Physical activity guidelines for adults
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2017, 08:44:18 pm »
I think the UK guidelines are woefully inadequate really, but they are set at a level that, it is hoped, will not discourage sedentary people from starting out.

On the other hand, there is accumulating evidence that there is a level of aerobic exercise that is 'too much' for (heart) health.

I like the Danish approach of a daily amount outside the normal routines - there goes one excuse - and the focus on minimum durations if the exercise is split. I think we used to say 35 minutes 5 times a week, but 175 minutes must be too much for the Brits.

Edited to add - also, I suspect that cycling can also be considered vigorous if you work hard enough.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:15:55 pm »
Guidelines aside, I think the only exercise many British people do is walk to their car. Which can never be parked more than 10 m from their person. Then they'll use up a few more calories complaining about the parking situation.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2017, 10:38:51 pm »
Guidelines aside, I think the only exercise many British people do is walk to their car. Which can never be parked more than 10 m from their person. Then they'll use up a few more calories complaining about the parking situation.

Drive an old 2CV, quickly (ish), around the peak district for an hour a week, plenty of high intensity exercise, with added but-tock clenching, there!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!