Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 471855 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1525 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:25:57 pm »
So they say. The appetite is often suppressed by a fever but if you're snotty, you might as well 'build yourself up' by enjoying nice  food...

« Reply #1526 on: 12 March, 2017, 08:45:40 pm »
I've had a cold for the past week (accompanied variously be headaches, dizziness and general not being able to get up and do things - it's probably been manflu...). I've not felt well enough to ride my bike, but haven't lost my (big) appetite at all and so have been eating vast amounts whilst sitting on the sofa or lying in bed. :facepalm:

« Reply #1527 on: 26 March, 2017, 09:33:52 pm »
Been fighting off a chesty cold for a week now. Bad enough that I can't do anything fitness wise, but other than the occasional coughing fit, I'm more or less normal. I do wish it would go away, though.

« Reply #1528 on: 05 April, 2017, 10:08:18 am »
The muscles and gubbins in my left arm/shoulder finally seem to be recovering, albeit slowly, after my unplanned dismount last November

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1529 on: 17 April, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
Outpatient appointment is next week, but it's not a colonoscopy appointment, just an appointment.
Bloods taken and I have to send in some poo. Might mix a cat turd in there for a laugh. Consultant was really nice.
Letter from GP saying nothing worrying in my poo and consultant has prescribed Questran Light until my next outpt appt at end of May. Questran Light is a disgusting powder, flavoured like very weak cheap diluting orange, to be mixed with water and forced down my gullet three times a day. No matter how I mix it, it won't properly dissolve and it has an oddly starchy texture, like drinking finely powdered Smash.

Same thing with me and setraline. 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1530 on: 17 April, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
Had an EKG and now been told to get another and go see my GP.

Wondering if I should be worried?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1531 on: 21 April, 2017, 01:45:12 pm »
Pretty bloody to give you an exam then set you worrying without specifics.  Friend of Mrs T was asked back after a mammogram without being told why: two weeks worried sick only to find out they'd botched the first one.  Anyway, cardiologists are vulnerable to censure if their "you're fine" leads to a patient doing himself in, so IME they're inclined to caution. If they didn't say to sit still and do nowt then don't worry.

My medical moan is that the weird positions I got into yesterday putting shelves up in the workshop have given me tendinitis in both sets of hamstrings and my jeans are stuck to the backs of my knees with ketoprofen gel.  'Tis the end of the world, indeed it is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1532 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:08:43 pm »
The answer was actually on the print out, when I took it out of the envelope, right artrial enlargement.  Amazing that a sealed envelope, with for the attention of the gp, works to stop you prying.

Cholesterol getting worse even tho I am taking statins :( How does that work?

Diabetic control notgood and getting worse.  Could that be the other drugs affecting this.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1533 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:24:37 pm »
Arterial or atrial?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1534 on: 27 April, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »
Arterial or atrial?

Atrial, spellchecker doesn't seem to like it.

IJL

« Reply #1535 on: 28 April, 2017, 08:23:54 am »
The answer was actually on the print out, when I took it out of the envelope, right artrial enlargement.  Amazing that a sealed envelope, with for the attention of the gp, works to stop you prying.

If that was printed on the ECG it's very likely an automatic report from the ECG machine itself rather than the opinion of a human looking at the ECG.  The automatic reports are very good for numerical data such as times between features on the ECG.  The Automatic diagnosis features are in most case nonsense so I wouldn't take much notice until you have spoken to your GP

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1536 on: 28 April, 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
Should go back for another one to make sure.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1537 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
My wife is from the North where high cholesterol is often hereditary - Vikings etc were predisposed to it since it compensates to some extent for a lack of melanin.  Even when she was vegan - she now eats fish - the quack was forever telling her to cut out the red meat.

- - - - -

Anyway, my own little hoot today is that I'm just back from a cardiac stress test: everything was perfect and I can lose the wretched aspirin that wasn't doing anything for my guts. :D

« Reply #1538 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:31:52 pm »
T42, if they tell you to take Aspirin again, find some soluble aspirin that has ascorbic acid with it. The old-fashion alka-seltzer is one brand that has this.

Makes a massive difference to the effect on the stomach. Why this is not standard in all formulations of aspirin is beyond me, since it well researched and proven.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1539 on: 04 May, 2017, 05:36:28 pm »
Didn't know that. Cheers :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1540 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
Ok, this is very minor and rather random, but here goes...

I keep getting these sore bits appearing suddenly on my fingers, on the palm side, today's one is now bruised. Weird thing is I'm not doing anything traumatic to make these things occur, today's one happened while I was driving! Weird...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1541 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:41:33 pm »
Is it like a sudden sharp pain and then a bruise appears?

Probably devils nip. We have no idea what causes it or why it happens. Just does and not serious.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1542 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »
Yes a sudden pain that really hurts if you press on it. This is the first time I've seen a bruise, times before it has looked a bit white, if anything.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1544 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:27:11 pm »
Ha, we don't know what it is, but here's a name for it. I love it!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1545 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »
My wife is from the North where high cholesterol is often hereditary - Vikings etc were predisposed to it since it compensates to some extent for a lack of melanin.  Even when she was vegan - she now eats fish - the quack was forever telling her to cut out the red meat.

- - - - -

Anyway, my own little hoot today is that I'm just back from a cardiac stress test: everything was perfect and I can lose the wretched aspirin that wasn't doing anything for my guts. :D

Do you think that you produce your own cholestorol and food wise there is no effect.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1546 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:34:51 pm »
AIUI those with hereditary hypercholesterolaemia produce high levels of cholesterol on which food has little effect, not quite none.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1547 on: 05 May, 2017, 03:26:37 pm »
That was the case with Mrs T.  She's now on hefty doses of statins, which keep her levels just outside the normal range.

« Reply #1548 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:10:23 am »
Having had surgery on the near knuckle of my left-hand ring finger to remove a giant cell tumour five years ago, I've got similar discomfort and swellings developing in the knuckles of the middle finger and index finger, as well as a recurrence of the swelling where the GCT was removed. :( 

« Reply #1549 on: 09 May, 2017, 03:28:39 pm »
Find a top class hand surgeon.