Author Topic: Building small wheels  (Read 1162 times)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Building small wheels
« on: 20 May, 2019, 10:29:09 am »
I've got a pair of 20" wheels to build for a circe helios and have never bulky anything this small,  any hints or tips that might be useful to me?

I noticed in disassembling the wheels that they were built with heavily greased eyelets and that tension adjustments are far more fine than a larger spoke (physics obviously). So is it merely a case of making sure nipple/ rim interface is well lubed and then just taking a great deal of care with very small adjustments as tension is increased?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Re: Building small wheels
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:10:05 am »
yes, more or less.  There's something to be said for using threadlock on short spokes.  Also note that

- lacing the wheels is awkward to do without bending the spokes; works best if you do one side at a time (with the rim offset temporarily) and you only start the nipples a few turns so that the spoke ends clear the rim.
- bit of a toss-up with 20" wheels whether you brace the crossings or not
-stress-relief is difficult with short spokes, but arguably at least as important as in larger wheels

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:35:05 am »
Consider 2-cross.  Agree about the lubrication.  Lacing is awkward, but IMHO 20" wheels are easier to build well than larger ones.  (Anything smaller becomes a pain, as there's less room to manoeuvre[1] and your tension meter probably won't fit.)

[1] I find a Park spoke key is better than a classic Spokey, as it's slightly narrower.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:12:10 pm »
It's with a rohloff and nexus dynamo hub so large enough to justify 1x I gather.  Thanks both for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »
When I built a 406 Rohloff wheel for ex-MrsLWaB's Moulton TSR, I built 1 cross with all heads out. Rohloff advised against less than 2 cross but the flanges look plenty beefy enough. No problems in over a decade of use.

https://www.rohloff-au.com/faq-spokes

Nowadays, I never build 406 wheels more than 2 cross.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2019, 01:58:51 am »
I find 20" wheels harder to lace(spokes tend to bend rather than Bowing) but easier to tension/true than 650/700c.

With SA hub brakes I lace them 3X after I ovaled the drum with 2X lacing (hit a pothole "Hard").