Author Topic: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June  (Read 18721 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June
« on: 23 May, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »
Helpers' Ride the weekend before [15/16] - Josser expressed interest a while back. I'll be away leading an IBT tour up until a few days before the event, so can't ride myself, but the offer's there ...

I'd like to ride the event on the day, which means extra help from lovely ACME people along the lines of the last event - car park supervising, brevet hand-out, breakfast drinks and food. Then we need time to clear up afterwards: the ACME peloton can usually roll about 30 minutes after the last group [assuming a staggered start, hard to gauge demand at the moment].

Wilkyboy, if the offer to stamp cards at Chatteris is still on, that would be great, otherwise I'll take a stash of stickers there, or maybe Cycling Geezer will if he's riding round the week before on his 'Yorkshire via Essex'.

We also need a controller for 'Y via E' at the Boars Head in Dunmow - late morning, lunchtime through to mid afternoon, precise times tbc. Beer and lunch provided from Funds.

Still a lot of sorting out to do ... info on AUKweb needs updating and riders emailing in the next week or so.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2019, 09:06:44 pm »
Yep, offer's still there  :thumbsup:

I'll have to check over the GPS files as well — any changes from last year?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:22:20 pm »

We also need a controller for 'Y via E' at the Boars Head in Dunmow - late morning, lunchtime through to mid afternoon, precise times tbc. Beer and lunch provided from Funds.

I can come up and do this if no one local volunteers. Is it on the Saturday or the Sunday?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2019, 02:11:04 pm »
Are there still spaces available Tom?
200, check
300, check
400, check
600, not quite
Check later for more exciting updates ;)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2019, 06:27:11 pm »
I have one volunteer lined up for the Saturday at the Boars Head [subject to 600km qualifier going well in a week's time] - otherwise will be riding FF. Help needed on Sunday to gather in cards from The Angel and Harp - if just one or two controllers, then processing can be done later by me, but having many hands, as last weekend, makes for an easy life for the organiser! We like riders who hand in a neat, clean brevet, with numbered receipts, in order and highlighted times etc. This is my OCD talking here though, you realise and this is a very imperfect world ...

The route will have to change slightly, outbound towards Lincoln on the Branston road to avoid the road closure for the bypass roadworks, that we had to negotiate on our Arrow. I'll be updating the route sheet and info this bank holiday weekend sometime.

The event will remain open for online entries until midnight the day before, with on-the-line entries by paper form and cash on the day. Don't panic folks, you will get a ride for that all-important final qualifier!

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:37:24 pm »
I should be ok to help at the finish on the Sunday. I’ll confirm next week.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

dod

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »
I'm available to cover the Chatteris control if required, even if it's just drinking tea with Wilkyboy  :)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2019, 06:27:50 pm »
I was going to drop you a line, Dod, see whether you fancied lending a hand to keep the queues moving  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2019, 02:23:58 pm »
I should be ok to help at the finish on the Sunday. I’ll confirm next week.

Confirmed  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:43:42 am »
Expect changes to the route to avoid Eastern Bypass roadworks on the B1188 south of Lincoln  ::-) - Cycling Geezer, Wilkyboy and I are working on it ...

« Reply #10 on: 31 May, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »
When I did the Flatlands 2 weeks ago I took the A15 out of Lincoln going South, I took the country lane left after Bracebridge Heath to Scopwick only to find that it was completely blocked off & closed due to the new by-pass I had to do 200 yards of muddy hiking to get passed it, beware.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »
^ Yes, that was our surprise cyclocross section on the Easter Arrow, negotiating 50 yards of [fortunately firm] mud, steep embankment, fenced each side! In the dark. Some folks bikes and kit are much lighter than others  ;D

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2019, 02:54:54 pm »
We now need a controller for the 'Yorkshire via Essex' Boars Head, Dunmow checkpoint on Saturday 22nd - roughly 11:45 to 17:25. Collect control signs, banner & ACME stamp from my house and sit outside in the sun for a couple of hours or so [assuming no riders have a major set-back ... ] - funds for lunch and beer available!

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2019, 05:19:21 pm »
Tom, emailed you direct on this. Cheers Dai

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2019, 02:26:26 pm »
I see routesheet with diversion bits is out on Aukweb or is there anything more to come?

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2019, 05:22:40 pm »
Initial recumbent fettling and test ride done.  Now back in full recline mode ready for those winds. Short easy cruise to see if anything further needs doing like adjusting the hip to bottom bracket length on the bike. The recumbent is getting an unexpected audax outing this year, spicing things up.

« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2019, 07:31:26 pm »
I see routesheet with diversion bits is out on Aukweb or is there anything more to come?

Unfortunately the diversion that Tom has detailed is also subject to a road closure until the end of Oct 2019.

You will most definitely not be able to use the diversion as initially detailed as they are currently excavating down to a depth 16m below the existing road level. This will enable the new bypass to pass under the Heighington to Canwick Road.

I'd amend the outbound diversion details as follows

[Diversion to avoid roadworks:
R @ TLS in Branston centre $ HEIGHINGTON
L on RH bend $ WASHINGBOROUGH and HEIGHINGTON
SO @ X $ WASHINGBOROUGH (Pitts Rd)
L @ T No sign post (Main Rd) (B1190)
SO at mini RAB
R @ TLS $ LINCOLN (B1188)

This will bring you back to the bottom of Canwick Hill into Lincoln where you rejoin the route.

I'd amend the homeward diversion details as follows

L @ TLS $ WASHINGBOROUGH (B1190)
SO at mini RAB
In 200m Turn R no sign post onto High Street (easily missed)
SO @ X $ BRANSTON
R @ T $ BRANSTON
L @ TLS in BRANSTON

Rejoin route

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:48:56 pm »
Initial recumbent fettling and test ride done.  Now back in full recline mode ready for those winds. Short easy cruise to see if anything further needs doing like adjusting the hip to bottom bracket length on the bike. The recumbent is getting an unexpected audax outing this year, spicing things up.

Nazca Fuego? if so looks very much like one I sold a few years ago after going to the Netherlands to pick it up.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:58:24 pm »

Unfortunately the diversion that Tom has detailed is also subject to a road closure until the end of Oct 2019.

You will most definitely not be able to use the diversion as initially detailed as they are currently excavating down to a depth 16m below the existing road level. This will enable the new bypass to pass under the Heighington to Canwick Road.

<snip>

This will bring you back to the bottom of Canwick Hill into Lincoln where you rejoin the route.

SO at mini RAB
SO @ X $ BRANSTON
R @ T $ BRANSTON
L @ TLS in BRANSTON

Rejoin route

wajcgac - clearly some v important local info here. I was planning to have a sleep stop at the Canwick Premier Inn at the top of the hill this year, rather than avail myself again of the somewhat crowded Audax hotels further north. Am I right in thinking your suggested diversion still goes up Canwick Hill and past the hotel?
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »

Nazca Fuego? if so looks very much like one I sold a few years ago after going to the Netherlands to pick it up.

It is, not the one you sold, but yes a Fuego

Phil W

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »
I've now heard a helpers ride is the week before where any diversions will be tested out on the ground before a final route sheet comes out.

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2019, 10:33:52 pm »
wajcgac - clearly some v important local info here. I was planning to have a sleep stop at the Canwick Premier Inn at the top of the hill this year, rather than avail myself again of the somewhat crowded Audax hotels further north. Am I right in thinking your suggested diversion still goes up Canwick Hill and past the hotel?

I'm afraid not, both the outward and homeward diversions I have suggested use the B1190 road to and from Washingborough to get to and from Lincoln which is at the bottom of Canwick Hill.

It's effectively the same route as Toms diversion (the roads run parallel and there is little difference in distance between them) but his heads to Washingborough via Heighington Rd (which is very much closed) from the top of Canwick Hill.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:37:33 pm »

I'm afraid not, both the outward and homeward diversions I have suggested use the B1190 road to and from Washingborough to get to and from Lincoln which is at the bottom of Canwick Hill.

It's effectively the same route as Toms diversion (the roads run parallel and there is little difference in distance between them) but his heads to Washingborough via Heighington Rd (which is very much closed) from the top of Canwick Hill.

Thanks. Booking switched to city centre. I was hoping not to go up that bloody hill first thing in the morning but having to go back down it and then back up would be worse! (And if the weather's nice I'll cancel it and bivvy - those bus stops aren't so bad really)
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:15:32 am »
Cheers! - I've got a slightly compressed version onto my route on AUKweb, [to fit the limited space on the route sheet], which will go out to riders tonight. It's the 2009 LEL route to the Washingborough control; I swear I could smell the bacon frying, coming out of Lincoln. Freakishly, it wasn't even raining at this point! Happy memories ...

[Diversion to avoid roadworks:
R @ TLS in Branston centre $ HEIGHINGTON
L on RH bend $ WASHINGBOROUGH and HEIGHINGTON
SO @ X $ WASHINGBOROUGH (Pitts Rd)
L @ T No sign post (Main Rd) (B1190)
SO at mini RAB
R @ TLS $ LINCOLN (B1188)

SO at mini RAB
SO @ X $ BRANSTON
R @ T $ BRANSTON
L @ TLS in BRANSTON

Rejoin route

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: 09 June, 2019, 01:56:16 pm »
Well, yesterday afternoon whilst I was putting a new front tyre on the recumbent a strong gust of wind blew the bike over and the rivets popped off the bottom of the front mudguard.  Mudguard stay now affixed to mudguard using a zip tie and a test ride today shows all is well again.

Route fettled to flatten / smooth it and take out some level crossings and traffic lights for the recumbent.  Manoeuvers include the Spalding bypass, Lincoln western bypass, Lincoln eastern bypass, and the Red Lodge southern bypass.

Not necessarily faster but does avoid some stop / start and removes any steepish hills without any extra distance.  Some Yorkshire via Essex riders may find a lone recumbent going the other way on the water railway.  Tried and tested on previous rides and this years Easter Arrow. 

Looking forward to taking the recumbent into the Fens.  It's a very different experience to being on my road bike.  The headwinds don't grind you down and you get to enjoy the big skies above.