Author Topic: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June  (Read 18963 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Fenland Friends 600km 22nd/23rd June
« Reply #100 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:30:19 pm »
A few photos wot I took in Chatteris, while stampering your brevets — https://www.tomsk.co.uk/fenland-friends-600/2019/photos/

‘A couple of vets from the Sleaford start’ are the legendary Jim Hopper and Ian Hill.

Who's who?  (I've never had the honour)

Chap putting on the helmet is Jim.

I think that you might mean a different Jim — neither of the two Sleaford vets are wearing helmets  ???
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #101 on: 23 June, 2019, 08:49:47 pm »
A few photos wot I took in Chatteris, while stampering your brevets — https://www.tomsk.co.uk/fenland-friends-600/2019/photos/

‘A couple of vets from the Sleaford start’ are the legendary Jim Hopper and Ian Hill.

Who's who?  (I've never had the honour) — Jim's on the trike, right?

Yeah

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #102 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:01:02 pm »
Who's who?  (I've never had the honour) — Jim's on the trike, right?

Yeah

Ta, updated  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #103 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:13:07 pm »
Jim is always on the trike...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #104 on: 23 June, 2019, 09:19:28 pm »
Jim is always on the trike...

I must admit that's what I was led to believe, mea culpa!
Reine de la Fauche

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #105 on: 23 June, 2019, 10:47:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for an incredible ride. I was up and down and in a variety of England’s most well kept towns. Somehow the foot got through but every other part of me has been thoroughly put through the hurt locker (it all started with Morvelo). Highlight was local hospitality and banter in Queen’s Head. Low point was sunrise and the last three stages with no sleep. Hope everyone made it out of their 5* hotels and to the finish. Cambridge? Spaniard? Richard? Tom?

Here is my patched together instagram stories of the ride.

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTA0NjkyNTk5MzIzNjc3/?igshid=15yipejawrtz2&story_media_id=2071645199704235942

Hi Mark, great riding with you - and many thanks for helping me get out of Kirton! Got back fine after a good sleep and a relatively leisurely second day. I did see Richard in the morning - he had a rough night but was still riding strongly. I left him sound asleep in the Boston McD's...

Looks like you had an amazing ride. Love the instagram clips - thanks for sharing them.

Martin (Cambridge)
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #106 on: 23 June, 2019, 10:49:34 pm »
Hardly a Carradice in sight.

But I did spot two pairs of SPD sandals. So it's not as if standards have slipped entirely ;)

Yes. Lots of sandal envy too  ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #107 on: 24 June, 2019, 01:52:00 am »
Thanks everyone for an incredible ride. I was up and down and in a variety of England’s most well kept towns. Somehow the foot got through but every other part of me has been thoroughly put through the hurt locker (it all started with Morvelo). Highlight was local hospitality and banter in Queen’s Head. Low point was sunrise and the last three stages with no sleep. Hope everyone made it out of their 5* hotels and to the finish. Cambridge? Spaniard? Richard? Tom?

Here is my patched together instagram stories of the ride.

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTA0NjkyNTk5MzIzNjc3/?igshid=15yipejawrtz2&story_media_id=2071645199704235942
excellent, see you in Paris

3 weeks after a fractured toe, tough as nails.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #108 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:53:21 am »
Well done Mark. Completed mine so see you at the campsite

Phil W

« Reply #109 on: 24 June, 2019, 10:54:16 am »
Having crashed and burned, due to the heat and dehydration ending my ride with projectile vomiting on Windsor Chester Windsor; I entered Fenland Friends as a back up to complete my qualification for PBP.  First decision was which bike?  My recumbent is ideally suited to the Fens but this year I'd done all my qualifiers on my road bike and any rides of any distance. The recumbent had just done short local rides. The different riding positions do put emphasis on different muscles within the legs, and consequently my legs would feel weaker  on the recumbent.  Some initial test rides suggested I'd be fast enough on the recumbent, if I twiddled up the Essex and Suffolk hills, and made up for it in the Fens. I decided to ride the recumbent and dedicated the available two and bit weeks to exclusively riding it to help strengthen the laid back leg muscles.  A brevet populaire the week before destroyed my legs, boy did they hurt, but I decided to stick with decision of choice of bike.

I woke at 4:30am, had breakfast and loaded the bike. setting off on the drive over at 4:45am. Parking up in the recreation car park, Gt Dunmow there were a few unloading bikes and getting ready.  I rolled down to the start, picked up and filled in a brevet card with my details, had a drink. Time to go.

My plan was not to try and keep up with the road bikes on the uphills and to bide my time till it flattened after Cambridge.  I deliberately positioned myself at the back.  Here I met Drew Buck who had also crashed and burned at Windsor Chester Windsor and we shook hands as he said "good to see you've made the right decision", "we will see we will see" I replied.

A few words from Tom, and it was time to get going.  The plan worked for about 5 mins,  the third descent and everyone was freewheeling in front of me.  On a recumbent the technique is to hammer the descents and let your speed and aerodynamics carry you as far up the other side as possible.  Far less energy intensive.  So this is what I did hammering past everyone, and with enough momentum no one caught me on the uphill and I was away.  Some decided to give chase and I'd see them closing on the longer uphills, till I was away downhill again.  A tenacious group of four caught and passed me on the climb out of Saffron Walden.  Then I gained on them once over the top and we stayed in sight of each other till near Great Shelford.

Great Shelford marked the beginning of the red light district.  Never before have I hit so many red lights and this continued all the way till Longstanton where finally a traffic light took pity on me.  In Cambridge there were a few students returning from late night partys but otherwuise it was deserted and peaceful.    Just as I was making the turn right past the market then left to continue north a tourist decided to take a photo of me.  The tourist then spoke and I realised it was Alex, with words of encouragement "Go Phil". Then I was round the corner and away.  Sorry Alex I can be a bit brain dead early in the morning.

As the terrain flattened my speed increased steadily and I found myself at a nice cruising speed with little effort.   There were a number of Red Kites up above and together with the speckled clouds they occupied my attention.  I was drinking like it was going out of fashion after my dehyration problems last time, and also taking salt tablets.  Consequently I need 3 pee stops before I even got to the first control. Chatteris turned up far sooner than I expected and before long I rolled up at the Green Welly cafe. 

Nick and Dod were outside together with Ian Perry, on Yorkshire via Essex, stood by his velomobile.  Ian was ahead of the Yorkshire Via Essex control opening time so they were making him wait till.  Nick wanted to see if I was ahead of the Fenland Friends control opening time, nope I'd arrived 4 mins after the opening time.  Those three pee stops were essential part of the timing plan.  Nick then also informed me I was the first to the control from the Dunmow start.  I was a bit shocked at this as thought the four who passed me in Saffron Walden were still ahead.  But now I recall I had passed them in Earith but my brain was in trance mode. I think they were possibly stopped and just pulling out.  Yes, that was them.

With no queue I got my order in for sweet and sour pork with rice and a strawberry Yazoo from the fridge.  Whilst drinking the Yazoo and waiting for my order the riders from both starts began to roll in and form a queue.   I quickly got my Playpus filled up with water before the queue got too big.  After a chat with Ian (still waiting for his control open time) back inside for my food.  The cafe was soon heaving and I got various amused comments at me having sweet and sour pork for breakfast.  Hey I like this stuff, what can I say?

I was off again, first to leave and greeted various inbound Yorkshire via Essex riders, including a fellow laid back rider on a high racer. I turned onto Forty Foot Bank. Once more I saw some Red Kites above and was so engrossed in them that I missed a turning.  It was only when I glanced down that I noted there was no sign of the track on the GPS.  Just then a sign appearied pointing to Benwick and I vaguely remembered this was on route.  So I turned right and followed the signs to Benwick eventually rejoining the route after 5 km of extra riding.  Just as I did this my breakfast companions turned on the route in front of me a group of about 11 doubled up.  I caught them up and chatted away with the lone rider at the back.  It was nice to be working at a very low effort, drafting the uprights. Eventually, after we'd entered Lincolnshire, I got tired of the view (of riders bums) and so backed off to regain the view I prefer. The wide landscape with sky and birds above.

The day by now had warmed up and eventually I got the early warning signs of cramp.  My tactic with the salt tablets was to pre load before the ride and then take one at each control, and to take one if signs of cramp appeared.  I took a tablet and the early signs receded till the legs were back to normal.  I didn't get cramp on a long brevet, in warm weather, for the first time in a long time.  I'm a convert to supplementary salt tablets. oh, and arm coolers work well as well. Just need leg / knee coolers now.

I had made a number of adjustments ot the offical route to make it more suited to my bike's strengths.  I'd also decided to bypass Spalding since it wasn't a control.  This involves going along Welland Bank then when it drops off the bank go left instead right towards Spalding.  You then head via Pinchbeck West to rejoin the offical route north and west of Spalding.   A great traffic free variation that works well.

Eventually Sleaford appeared and I do like the first view you get of it, approaching from the south.  Origianlly my plan was to hit the Wetherspoons but about 100 metres short I saw some fellow riders outside a bakery, and decided I'd stop.  An iced tea cake and two jam doughnuts and a coke.  The water available was in small bottles so I decided not to top up the bladder, which still had water.

I left shortly before the others gathered around and headed north to Lincoln.  Initially the roads were fairly busy but once I turned onto the B road to Branston it quietened down again.  The road was rolling and perfect for hammering the descents and getting most of the way up the other side without pedalling.  Arriving in Branston I stopped at the red lights and the others caught me here.  Straight on to Canwiock hill and a gravel section or the longer diversion.  At this point Stefan and Mark are to my right and ask if I'm going right.  Decision made, we go right whilst the others go straight on.

The diversion goes well and Mark and Stefan follow me on my second alteration which heads out to Skellingthorpe then Saxilby, rejoining the offical route at Staunton by Stow and bypassing the climb onto the ridge.  At Staunton by Stow my water has run out so I bid the others on whilst I stop at the shop there.  Topping up my water I also grab a jam doughnut and eat it on the picnic bench outside.

Crazy speeds entering Gainsbrough on the descent, and then a staple of audax, a garage forcourt.  Perhaps a dozen of us are sat around on our quality diets. The chilli snack is somewhat hot and burns my throat. The sun is hot and any shade is greatly appreciated.  Moving off I opt to cross on the right hand side of the bridge and turn right by the pub down the paved cycle track to Old Trent rd.  This bypasses the A631 road section. it was not pre planned but traffic is quite busy at this point and the alternative is more pleasant. In contrast the A161, to Goole,  is quite empty.

Goole services and McDonalds it is.  After waiting several minutes at one of the automated machines; I give up and go to the counter.  A McFlurry Crunchie and a coke.  My order turns up quickly.  The time on the receipt is 18:00, bang on 12 hours. We've made good progress. I sit with one of my companions from breakfast at the Green Welly. 

Retracing out of Goole to Eastoft. Back south and passing and waving at various riders inbound to Goole.  The wind is quite light at this point and I don't notice any reduction in speed. Climbing the hill to Kirton in Lindsay I spy my table companions stood outside a COOP, so I pulled over to join them.  I opt for some pineaple chunks and a pint of milk.  Diet getting better.  Further up just before the turn right some are sat outside having a pint at the pub.  Here I have another alteration to the route, opting to bypass Lincoln by going direct to Bardney then Southrey to join the water railway.  I mount a speaker on my seat, plug in the ipod and start the playlist for my solo jaunt into the night.

The light fades as i enter Bardney and I'm almost tempted to stop at a pub but carry on.  At Southrey I had the church porch lined up to sleep in, but in the ptich black I fail to spot the chiurch and find myself at the water railway.  So I keep going till I find an enclosed bench along the Water Railway.  I pull the seat pad off my recumbent, and set the alarm on the GPS to wake me at 1am. Perhaps 20 mins later a rider stops and asks me if I'd like to rdie with him. Not right now, I'm sleeping, but if he wants to wait till 1am then sure.  Not being tired, he opts to ride on. Peace descends again.

Come 1am I'm off again and meet a few Yorkshire via Essex riders coming the other way.  Being low to the ground I'm slightly blinded by their death ray lights. A few wobbles and slowing down till they are past and once more into the dark.  Boston rolls up, and another McDonalds.  A coke and a milkshake this time. As well as Fenland Friends  there's another group of riders in, doing a 90 mile night ride.  They are a bit loud but I decide on a second doze.  The other riders leave and after finishing my drinks, a trip to the toilet to lose weight, and then a third doze.  Another Fenlad Friends rider turns up, just as I'm leaving and we greet each other in passing.

Leaving Boston in the ethereal pre dawn light the birds are singing away and it's a lovely moment in time rolling south west to Spalding.  Out of Spalding I opt once more for Welland Bank, preferring it to the Cowbit option.  After Crowland I start to get the dozies but the verge is long grass and full of insects crawling on my skin.  So I get back up and continue on.  A posh house on the right has manicured the grass facing onto the road.  So this tramp, parks his recumbent next to his wall, and once more lays down, undistrubed by insects.  After a 30 min catnap I'm on the move again, refreshed. In Whittlesey I spy a newsagent and go inside asking if they sell ice lollies.  The paper girls and boys are busy filling up their bags for their rounds. Not only do they, but the popsicles are only 22p, bargain, receipt done.

Near Warboys the first hills in oh I don't know like forever turn up, and they feel like the Himalayas.  In Warboys I stop at the service station and have a Callipo.  In Earwith I stop again and have an iced lolly.  You get the idea, most village stops I paassed, I was now stopping for ice lollies.  It felt like the day was going to get seriously hot.  Haddenham delivered a triple hill just in case I wasn't paying attention to the change in geography.

The leg to Red Lodge seemed to take forever, but turn up eventually it did.  There were 3 other riders already there.  I ordered a ham and cheese omelette and vimto. Well I tried to order it but some loud local man keep shouting about, oh another cheese omelette, that I had to turn around and tell him to shut up whilst I ordered.  Eventually the other riders left whilst I ate what I could of the worlds largest omelette, it was huge! Even when fresh I'm not sure I've have managed to finish it.

Now my final bit of route fettling to smooth the hills to the finish, Great Dunmow.  It included some unridden roads suggested by Alex B that went via Cowlinge.   Near Darsham I met some audax riders coming the opposite way which initially confused me.  Then I saw a whole load more and realised they must be on a different audax.  Now I think Alex B was having a laugh.  I turned into one lane which was simply named "The Hill" and indded it was going on for longer than usual round these parts.  I crawled up this, under the hot sun. My knees and legs now burnt to a crisp.  Riding a low racer is like being on a mobile sun lounger, watch out for bit of legs burning that don't on an upright bike.    The reward for this climb was a fantastic long descent the other side.

I opped out on the A134 and there was a shop there.  So I stopped there and drank 1.5 litres of lemonade, plus the obligatory iced lolly.  The A134 was wonderful and had the sort of rollers wherre, on the recumbent, you don't need to pedal the uphills.  All but two of the rollers I was able to do this, brilliant.  The link to Finchingfield and Bardfield not so much, and I crawled up hills, fast descent, but then needed to pedal the next hills. 

Eventually a sign for Dunmow, 7 miles, almost done. I was certainly done and feeling the heat.  I'd been managing my hydration and pouring water over myself to cool down throughout the ride. Plus taking the salt tablet, It had worked well. I think I've found the solution to the problems I have with heat. 

Those last 7 miles seemed to take forever the motto "one more hill".  Motorbikes were racing these sections of roads but fortunately were moving along the white line and well away from me.  A final quick descent to Gt Dunmow, hitting 67 km/h. Then into the Angel and Harp. The ACME gang had tables 30 and 37 in the garden.  It was 1509, my quickest 600 time in the last 3 years.  It was validation for me, that my fitness is ok, if I take care of heat and hydration before they become too big an issue.  Just as importantly I'd qualified for Paris.  Mission accomplished.

I had a doze on the grass beind the table and then when awake again ordered a pizza and Ghost Ship.  My appetite exceeded my ability to eat the pizza. Far too much left.  Should have ordeed the garlic bread that later arrivals had.  Tom and ACMe crew riding turned up and after a bit of chat it was time to head home beofre a wave of dozies turn up again.

I drove home, taking it easy and leaving big gaps.  Safely home, car unloaded.  A ribena and strawberry milkshake.  Shower then bed. I slept till 6am, interrupted with needing a pee, or my legs burning on contact with the duvet. Almost a full 12 hours sleep. Now I have today off to chill, and stay out the sun, with a little leg strech round the local park.

Thanks Tom and helpers, and those I rode with or spoke to on the road.   

Photo's here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dMZTabM9Dg6wTcGH9

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #110 on: 24 June, 2019, 10:58:55 am »
Well done Phil- chuffed for you after WCW!  See you in (nearly) Paris!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #111 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:04:21 pm »
Talking of Death Ray lights...
I was blinded by a recumbent front light somewhere between Boston and the water railway on YviaA, and had a last second dodge as we were both on the crown of the road.

Not quite sure how that works if the recumbent light is set right (unless it didn't have a cut off...)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #112 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:09:14 pm »

Hi Mark, great riding with you - and many thanks for helping me get out of Kirton! Got back fine after a good sleep and a relatively leisurely second day. I did see Richard in the morning - he had a rough night but was still riding strongly. I left him sound asleep in the Boston McD's...

Looks like you had an amazing ride. Love the instagram clips - thanks for sharing them.

Martin (Cambridge)

Fantastic, no problem - glad to hear it Martin!  (I didn't forget your name btw but I liked my designated one for you on the ride!)

excellent, see you in Paris

3 weeks after a fractured toe, tough as nails.

Two weeks and it was the 5th metatarsal* :P  (*That sounds tougher).  But surprisingly no issues with it until the last 150km from the hills; it was mainly the lack of fitness for being off the bike in the lead up to and recovery of toegate. 

See you in Paris indeed James!  Richard says hi(!)—we rode together for much of the ride until we lost him to an audax hotel outside Lincoln.

Really ecstatic and grateful to the YACF community for helping support me through two occasions of potentially dashed PBP hopes, in both preregistering and qualifying for PBP.  Truly skin of the teeth stuff.  Can't quite believe it.

Well done Mark. Completed mine so see you at the campsite

Congrats Dave! (who found me after he heard me chewing another rider's ear off about how I hadn't yet seen my mate on the field whose last chance this was to qualify—I had been on Bagman's wheel for at least 30 minutes) 

It's all coming together now.  Hopefully see you on a training ride in July!  London Orbital?

I deliberately positioned myself at the back....

That's funny because I always seem to remember seeing you at the front riding into the distance.  I was going to say something as you had requested on this very thread but left you to it!

Some clarifications.  It was myself and Joaquin (or "the Spaniard" as I would call him) you were riding with north from Branston and underneath Lincoln.  And that was me who caught you during your sleep preparations on the Waterway.  You got some rest and caught me up at McD's in Boston with plenty of time so maybe I should have stopped to try and sleep.

Speaking of Joaquin (who I have yet to hear how his ride went?) I lost him at the Queen's Head in Kirton because I was having too much fun with the locals.  Think they wanted to set me up with the young lady behind the bar.  Though I had also had the offer of a shed from a lady named "Sue".  With all that plus a half pint of Guinness compliments of "Ian", I have nothing but my own love of a party to blame for Joaquin leaving me....  Great pub and 100% good people—it's reputation preceded it (via Stefan) and will definitely continue to do so.

« Reply #113 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:14:01 pm »
Mark - i will be manning a control on the Orbital. Next ride Hereward the Wake

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #114 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:37:24 pm »
Speaking of Joaquin (who I have yet to hear how his ride went?) ...

Joaquin finished in 35 hours dead  :thumbsup:  He is "orejas" on this forum.

Phil W

« Reply #115 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:46:05 pm »
That's funny because I always seem to remember seeing you at the front riding into the distance.  I was going to say something as you had requested on this very thread but left you to it!

Yep my plan didn't last very long did it.  I'd already had a comment "You don't provide a draft do you?" in those first few mins.

Some clarifications.  It was myself and Joaquin (or "the Spaniard" as I would call him) you were riding with north from Branston and underneath Lincoln.  And that was me who caught you during your sleep preparations on the Waterway.  You got some rest and caught me up at McD's in Boston with plenty of time so maybe I should have stopped to try and sleep.

Joaquin finished in 35 hours dead  :thumbsup:  He may be "orejas" on this forum?

Ah that makes sense. I'd assumed it was you and Stefan as you were talking about my diversion as we entered Lincoln and you let me go first to lead the way.  But of course Joaquin / orejas had also asked for and been sent my route adjusted northbound and southbound GPX. So he too would have known about my alternate route diversions. In fact we weren't the only ones who took my alternate as I was complemented on it by others (whom Stefan must have been riding with) at Goole McDonalds.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #116 on: 24 June, 2019, 12:57:37 pm »
Ah that makes sense. I'd assumed it was you and Stefan as you were talking about my diversion as we entered Lincoln and you let me go first to lead the way.  But of course Joaquin / orejas had also asked for and been sent my route adjusted northbound and southbound GPX. So he too would have known about my alternate route diversions.

Yep - although I took the same route after going through the roadworks.

I didn't use your southbound diversion in the end (I needed that hotel stop in Lincoln) but your northbound ones were ace  :thumbsup: - thanks for sharing them!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #117 on: 24 June, 2019, 02:56:19 pm »
Well done Phil - great to see you basking in the glow of qualification! (and a bit of sunburn)  :thumbsup:

I think we had the last rider through around 21:30ish - unfortunately I was too late for last orders by the time I got home but good to see so many smiling faces at the end, hope you all enjoyed the band and street party we arranged for you in Finchingfield  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #118 on: 24 June, 2019, 03:20:31 pm »
I was blinded by a recumbent front light somewhere between Boston and the water railway on YviaA, and had a last second dodge as we were both on the crown of the road.

Not quite sure how that works if the recumbent light is set right (unless it didn't have a cut off...)

Apologies that would have been me between Dogdyke and Martindales. The light is the Edelux (original bought 2010), and defo has a cut off. The light is bolted in place but occasionally the bolt can come a little loose allowing it to move.  This was my first night ride on the recumbent this year, so it's quite possible it's been knocked and I hadn't noticed.  Will check alignment.

Edited to add. That dodgy road definitely required riding on the crown!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #119 on: 24 June, 2019, 03:37:10 pm »

Apologies that would have been me between Dogdyke and Martindales. The light is the Edelux (original bought 2010), and defo has a cut off. The light is bolted in place but occasionally the bolt can come a little loose allowing it to move.  This was my first night ride on the recumbent this year, so it's quite possible it's been knocked and I hadn't noticed.  Will check alignment.

Edited to add. That dodgy road definitely required riding on the crown!

Ah, didn't recognise you in the dark though i did when I passed you on my way to Chatteris, it wasn't the best of surfaces was it!

Some interesting patches of subsidence in the fens too, I'm sure I was in a rut at one point that had the crown at my crank top and noting you wouldn't want to drop a car wheel I to it (sump breakingly bad times)

Must have been a good few fenland friends that passed (or bypassed) me as I slept then.

« Reply #120 on: 24 June, 2019, 04:01:45 pm »
Great photos Wilkyboy

"Richard Painter, Tom Jackson, +1, preparing to depart"
+1 is Edel Costello, on her first 600 and finished with hours to spare.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #121 on: 24 June, 2019, 04:55:43 pm »
Great photos Wilkyboy

"Richard Painter, Tom Jackson, +1, preparing to depart"
+1 is Edel Costello, on her first 600 and finished with hours to spare.

Thanks, Neil.  Looking at Strava, the group she was in was really pacey, chapeau  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #122 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:29:56 pm »
Great to ride one of my events on the day - first one for some time. On my routes, I'd got rather used to lonely solo rides or leisurely CTC club-run type of jaunts with my helpers. This was a bit of a thrash, almost like we were training for a big ride somewhere.  ;D
We still managed to have lots of down time in: 3 cafes, 2 McDonalds, 2 Wetherspoons, 1 garage, 1 village shop for icecream and our traditional 5-star bus shelter for 2 hours sleep, or for some, just dozing and listening to snoring [no names, but great PBP training too].

Nice to see others about on both 600s - the other riders seen in Essex later on were riding the Windmill 200km from Chelmsford - good of Andy C333333, Nim and The Straggler to take a break from their ride and come and see us in the Angel and Harp beer garden.

Congratulations to al those who have now qualified for the 'French Ride' and thanks to all my helpers - I'll thank you all individually in due course, but I have an evening of all-important brevet checking and results uploading to do first. Not forgetting the staff of the Green Welly and Angel and Harp, plus the Boars Head in Dunmow, checkpoint on 'Yorkshire Via Essex'.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: 24 June, 2019, 08:29:59 pm »
The Results Are Uploaded Less Than 24 Hours After The Finish - something of a record for me with an 'X' event, with no postal finishers to stress over, hooray! I guess they'll show as provisional for a little less long than usual, if ACP get their skates on [and aren't totally pre-occupied by the issue of getting the vacated reserved places re-allocated in some sort of fair order]. I feel for them - it's an administrative nightmare.

My tired organiser's brane now needs a rest: a little more paperwork to prepare for the Validation Secretary, no accidents reported, 40 completed brevet to post - 38 starters, 1 DNF + 3 helpers riding the weekend before. Female participation near enough 20%.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #124 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:23:42 pm »

Lighting and being illuminated are problems with having a low mounted light and being physically lower to the ground.

The light has to be near horizontal to achieve a decent range, so even a few degrees out can cause the light to shine too high for others, and I was guilty of this heading over the Isle of Axholme where I was acutely aware of lighting up cyclists coming towards me, so if any of you were affected I apologise, I lowered the light a tad at Glews. The light being so low also means that undulations briefly cause the light to shine up!

The flip side of course is being so low that practically every light source is blinding, be that car, motorcycle and other riders, I was blinded many times on last years YviaE by riders heading the other way on FF.

Velomobiles are all fitted with German approved for road lights, mine no exception also mine is about as bright as possible to get at the moment , it is effectively as bright as car headlight, it even has a proper main beam, but is power hungry.