Author Topic: Richmond Park Deer Cull February 2016  (Read 3456 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Richmond Park Deer Cull February 2016
« on: 04 February, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
It’s on again.  Just like it is every year and which as someone who’s lived in the general area off and on for over ten years I should probably remember.

I found this out when I got to Roehampton Gate at about 23.30 last night.  Oops.  Had to backtrack to the A3 instead.  I haven't seen any signs at Ham Gate in the morning but since I'm not Mitch Benn I don't have the special excuse to not know about something that happens every year in my neighbourhood.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Richmond Park Deer Cull February 2016
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2016, 02:59:37 pm »
Won't somebody think of the Bambi's?

With some nice gravy and carrots and mash.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2016, 10:31:02 am »
Where can you buy the wild London raised venison?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2016, 11:06:31 am »

For various reasons, it's never branded as Richmond Park venison (partly because of the Royal connection).

So, it could be available in your local butcher, you just don't know.

If it has London Dynamo stamped on it, then there's a good chance it's Richmond Park venison!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2016, 11:32:10 am »

For various reasons, it's never branded as Richmond Park venison (partly because of the Royal connection).

So, it could be available in your local butcher, you just don't know.

If it has London Dynamo stamped on it, then there's a good chance it's Richmond Park venison!

I don't think Dynamo venison would be nice, likely thick skinned and with a disagreeable flavour. It would probably also cut you up and swear at you... ;)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
I spoke to my local butcher back when I lived in Kingston and the culled deer goes to whoever is prepared to buy the whole order – so small local butchers don’t really get a look in AFAIK.

They usually over about 200 deer each year over the two culling periods, depending on various factors* which is too much for most butchers to take on.

There’s sometimes a protest at the start of the cull but I haven’t seen one since I started commuting via Ham Gate.  Mmmm, ham.

*Some years it’s been as low as 78, others as high as 261.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2016, 03:36:51 pm »
It's horrid; I do have to make sure I leave work pronto during those months.

They culled the Stags (and Bucks) in November now it's the females' turn  :( riding through last week there were a load of young fallow plaintively crying, haven't seen the teeny ones in daylight since the summer when their Mums were teaching them to run (or rather pogo)

they should dart them with contraceptives instead

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2016, 07:19:29 am »
I know the signs say 7:30am, but does anyone have a feel for the time the gates are currently actually being opened on weekday mornings?
Eddington Number = 132