Author Topic: Broken Screen  (Read 1676 times)

JJ

Broken Screen
« on: 11 May, 2009, 09:34:35 am »
I have broken the screen on my eTrex Legend Cx.
Does anyone have any advice about repairs?

I'ved tried one UK place who say they haven't the parts, and another who say don't bother, buy a new one.

The Garmin wesite says send it to the US, which is fine, but I'd rather like to have it back in a couple of weeks.

Anyone know a better answer?

Ever hopeful!

Re: Broken Screen
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:47:21 am »
When the screen started to go funny on my basic yellow eTrex (some columns of pixels were either all on or all off) I contacted Garmin, got an RMA number and was told to ship it off to an address in the UK (Southampton or Portsmouth I think).

However, it was a fault and within 1 year or purchase so it was all done for free.

I'd phone up and speak to Garmin UK (0808 238 0000) if I were you: Repairs It may not need to go to the US.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2009, 11:49:53 am »
I've had 2 fishfinders and my GPS replaced at Garmin UK, both fishfinder were out of guarantee as well

JJ

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2009, 01:07:40 pm »
Fortified by all this good advice, I came out from under the weeping willow, dried my eyes and called Garmin.

After 15 minutes of listening to the honey-dripping tones of the "All our operators are busy" lady, interspersed with snatches of  "Furry Lisa" and I was ready to leave the family and elope with her, but in the nick of time a businesslike chap came on and saved me from myself.

For £55.45 (don't forget the .45 Best Beloved) he'll swap my GPS for a new one!  All I need do is pop it into a Jiffy bag and send it off to him. I wonder if he's related to the lady.  They're all so very...nice.   It probably comes from listening to so much Beethoven.

JJ

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:20:26 pm »
< 4 day turnaround!

A new-looking etrex unit has just dropped onto my desk.  Can't wait to try it out!

Good for you Garmin.  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »
Nicely done!

By the way, if anyone breaks their Garmin shell but the guts and screen still work, I have a GPS monocle project that would take it off your hands... 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:33:39 pm »
Nicely done!

By the way, if anyone breaks their Garmin shell but the guts and screen still work, I have a GPS monocle project that would take it off your hands... 
Virtual Light?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:32:22 pm »
That would be some of the augmented-realirty stuff coming out for the iphone and G1 - the screen as "magic mirror".  Hold it up and turn around for Street View overlaid over your, er, view of the street.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.