Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2443166 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7475 on: 02 November, 2014, 12:00:20 pm »
In the interests of continuity, here's what replaced the 1x1 .. I'm sure I've posted this before, but what the hell:

Salsa El Mariachi fixed in 'overnighter' mode (this was taken just before I went on a training ride in August - wrist breakage means that it's not doing an awful lot at the moment)

Looks great but then I am a sucker for orange bikes.  How do you fix all the stuff to bars and does it move a lot?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org

« Reply #7477 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

« Reply #7478 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

« Reply #7479 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:42:33 pm »
I've just reported that as Spam. ;D

Nice Brommie though

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #7480 on: 02 November, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

You did it! I thought you were joking.  Still can't quite imagine you riding it for some reason. 

« Reply #7481 on: 02 November, 2014, 04:07:55 pm »
^^You did the right thing in the circumstances, and the forum ought to collectively salute you.
Thank you.
I remain to be convinced that it is the bike for me.
I used it yesterday, in civvies, to go to the butcher and get some pork and leek sausages.
Which was nice.
While I queued for my bangers, a father explained to his ~5yo what the *clever* thing I was holding in my hand was..... and how handy it was in conjunction with travel by car or train.....
Then I did the supermarket-bike-in-the-trolley-so-no-need-for-a-lock thing. (That got a few I-didn't-know-Sainsburys-sold-these looks)
Which was also nice.
In the evening, I had to go to the wine merchant.
I put on the Sidis and took the fixer.
It was my preferred bike.

What do people to about the handgrips?
Was Andrew Ritchie out of the room and someone else specced those? :o
Not sure how much I like cycling in soft-soled shoes - the return on the energy-put-in investment is slim, compared to carbon soled shoes - but I guess the flip-side is I (think) I bought it for those occasions when I don't want to wear the carbon soled shoes.....

Yesterday, I was let down by the vendor of the above bike, in as much as he gave me a bum steer when he demonstrated how to fold and unfold.
The patrons of the cafe where I usually breakfast on a Saturday morning were treated to more than 10 but less than 15 minutes of folding fiasco, before I entered the cafe to a round of applause and Queen's I want to ride my bicycle playing on the sound system.
How I laughed.
I've since watched the video of How To Do It.
The b@$t@rd lied. On so many levels, I question whether he did it deliberately.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7482 on: 02 November, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »
If you really are dissatisfied I'll take it off your hands. ;)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it soon enough.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7483 on: 02 November, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
The voices in my head have already had the so-who-is-going-to-take-this-off-my-hands? conversation.
The list is not un-extensive.
But that is a little unfair to the bike.
I need to use it in the circumstances it was designed for, ie; pi$$ing off rail passengers during rush hour, that kind of thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7484 on: 03 November, 2014, 12:36:16 pm »
What do people to about the handgrips?

Ergon GP2s will fit an S-type without fouling the fold.  Think they work on an M-type too, but you need to cut them down or use the gripshift version.

« Reply #7485 on: 03 November, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »
Thanks Kim.
Money heading CRC's way.

« Reply #7486 on: 03 November, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »

As posted in the have you been out today thread.... Fortitude adventure now sporting on-one Mary bars, ESI grips, a crumpler camera case as a tool and tube bag, and MUD!  ;D

Loving the bars, grips and Brooks C17 saddle... and the bike is just fab off road. Really chuffed with it!   :thumbsup:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #7487 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:22:46 pm »

As posted in the have you been out today thread.... Fortitude adventure now sporting on-one Mary bars, ESI grips, a crumpler camera case as a tool and tube bag, and MUD!  ;D

Loving the bars, grips and Brooks C17 saddle... and the bike is just fab off road. Really chuffed with it!   :thumbsup:

Glad you like it Mary bars are cool are they not

« Reply #7488 on: 03 November, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
^ I'm so impressed with the Mary bars that I'm considering a set for the 'tip bike' commuter/ hack bike.

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7489 on: 03 November, 2014, 05:19:00 pm »
^ I'm so impressed with the Mary bars that I'm considering a set for the 'tip bike' commuter/ hack bike.
They're probably one of the best 'alt' bars out there - the only thing that comes close IMO is the Jones Loop bar, but then they're 6 times more expensive than a pair of Marys - I originally planned to put Loop bars on the El Mariachi but a couple of long jaunts on the Genesis convinced me that Mary bars were the way to go, thus saving myself over £100 in the process.

Once I got the position of the grips sorted out, I was able to do 80-90 mile off-road rides with little in the way of wrist discomfort, even on a fully rigid bike - double tape the curves and you've got yourself a new set of potential hand positions for free (handy for road/gravel as I have mentioned before)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7490 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:21:58 pm »
P1010137 by JuanM58, on Flickr

P1010136 by JuanM58, on Flickr

During the summer, while I was off the road (and off work for a while) I kept myself out of mischief by building up this Gillott Continental. I noticed the frame on EBay; it was local to me and I thought that I would kick myself if it went unsold so I put in a minimum bid and won it. Most of the components came from EBay and bike jumbles although I bought the wheels and chainset from a well-known purveyor of vintage kit. The mudguards were fitted for cycling in company in the autumn; they can come off in the summer. It has taken a bit of settling down but is a nice bike for running round the lanes for a few hours on a sunny afternoon.

1950 Gillott Continental frame and forks
Airlite HF hubs (fixed/free), 5 speed Regina 14-24; 27” Alesa rims, 32/40 with 1 1/8” Michelin tyres.
Universal 51 calipers with GB Superhood levers
GB spear point stem with GB Olympic bars, Brampton headset
Stronglight Chainset with 52/46 Simplex chainwheels, BW/TDC bottom bracket
Lyotard 45 pedals. Ale clips and Christophe straps
Campagnolo GS ‘matchbox’ front derailleur, Campagnolo GS rear, Campagnolo levers
Reynolds 27.2mm ‘dome top’ alloy seat post, Brooks B17N saddle

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7491 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:28:42 pm »
What a pretty bike!  Good choice of kit, too.
Getting there...

« Reply #7492 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
That's great, Juan and I know you needed a distraction this summer.

Here's what Torslanda can do:-

First he finds a vintage bike on the net, which I buy to replace my stolen Scott.  I love it and can't bear to put it in for a respray for over a year.  Here is the almost original, which doesn't look as beaten up as it actually is:-

And here it is after John has had it powder-coated and then re-built it:-

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #7493 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:49:50 pm »
Beautiful! That's a classic looking machine, very nice.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7494 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »
Thank you, both. Peter, it was a pleasure.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7495 on: 04 November, 2014, 09:04:48 pm »
It is looking good - excellent choice of colour!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7496 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:50:34 am »
That is very nice indeed, only possibly made better by the addition of a traditional saddle bag.    ;)

Si_Co

« Reply #7497 on: 07 November, 2014, 01:37:22 pm »
It is truly beautiful  in the flesh, I couldn't stop admiring it last week. Far more aerodynamic than my bike as well torslanda  ;D

« Reply #7498 on: 09 November, 2014, 02:47:31 pm »
Continuing on the touring bike theme. A few pics of my newly acquired George Longstaff. Born in 2004, Designer Select tubing and spec'd to high standard and obviously extremely well cared for by the original owner. It's completed a LeJoG and a few other shorter tours in UK. A piece of real cycle craftsmanship I think. Pretty much set up to suit me but still have to replace the bar tape.

Previous owner's name on top tube. No connection with the Transcontinental afaik but should be a good long distance tourer!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7499 on: 09 November, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »
Continuing on the touring bike theme. A few pics of my newly acquired George Longstaff. Born in 2004, Designer Select tubing and spec'd to high standard and obviously extremely well cared for by the original owner. It's completed a LeJoG and a few other shorter tours in UK. A piece of real cycle craftsmanship I think. Pretty much set up to suit me but still have to replace the bar tape.

Previous owner's name on top tube. No connection with the Transcontinental afaik but should be a good long distance tourer!

Probably one the nicest bikes I have seen, even on a par with Blodwyn I would say. Had this have come up for sale last year, I would  not have bought the BJ  ...Nuff said! :thumbsup: