Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3035519 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Know what you mean, our MD is such a dick!  ::-)
Ah, but this is corporate BRITAIN where being a dick is considered to be an asset in senior management. :facepalm:

Back in the shop this morning. You'll be pleased & relieved* to know the sink and bog are no longer frozen.

*FCVO obvs
I suspect that you are relieved that the bod is now thawed  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Like the relief of Mafeking!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Many years ago as a single, divorced/separated man, I actually joined an internet dating site.

Now I've filled out a 'buddy up' profile on an accommodation site and it feels horrifyingly similar.

The people with the largest budgets are the young students. The working (and older working) people are the ones saying they can pay less. Frugality or something else?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

Surely, if we’re being pedantic, light is a particle OR a wave.

It's neither. Depending on the experiment you do, it may behave like a wave or it may behave like a particle, but in reality it's neither.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Many years ago as a single, divorced/separated man, I actually joined an internet dating site.

Now I've filled out a 'buddy up' profile on an accommodation site and it feels horrifyingly similar.

The people with the largest budgets are the young students. The working (and older working) people are the ones saying they can pay less. Frugality or something else?

The older ones are probably trying to furiously save to retire/paying for 2 houses/paying for a family they don't live with while the students have none of that fun to pay for.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The students are funded by Bank of Mum & Dad. Or, as I presume mr_charly means, they are fibbing and/or grossly over-optimistic.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Or the difference between $crippling_debt and 2*$crippling_debt is, if you'll forgive the pun, academic.

The older ones are probably trying to furiously save to retire/paying for 2 houses/paying for a family they don't live with while the students have none of that fun to pay for.....
Something like that.
I am the BoMaDx2, plus will be paying for two houses (well, house plus bedsit).

One thing that terrifies me about a lot of these students is that when they graduate, a lot of them will have no way of being able to afford the accommodation they've lived in while studying.

It is a reversal of how it used to be, way back when I was a penniless student.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Her name was Kanga and she was trouble. She came into my office as I was about to dip into a honeypot. I liked honey the way priests love God.
"You are Pooh? The detective?" she said.
"I live under the name of Sanders. What's it to you?"
"My boy," she said. "Roo. He's missing."

>>> https://twitter.com/lavietidhar/status/971164407270125568

Her name was Kanga and she was trouble. She came into my office as I was about to dip into a honeypot. I liked honey the way priests love God.
"You are Pooh? The detective?" she said.
"I live under the name of Sanders. What's it to you?"
"My boy," she said. "Roo. He's missing."

>>> https://twitter.com/lavietidhar/status/971164407270125568
Does kanga wear a blue dress?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Oh. Good.  Fusion power now only 15 years from viability.   So with luck by about 2058 it'll only be a little over 7 years from viability. :)

And in other news; a  less polluting battery technology.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m working from home today, with the operative word with work. So I should really get off the sofa and get in with some.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Oh. Good.  Fusion power now only 15 years from viability.

These guys are rubbish. When I was a kid it was only 10 years away.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
I thought that cold fusion had been done so why are they still playing with high temperatures?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Very relieved to have received my certified copy of my birth certificate today (preparations for Brexit and possible change of nationality). I had wondered how easy it would be as I was born in Germany and not sure where my father registered my birth.

I went to put it in the ‘important documents’ folder in my filing box and found the perfect space for it, right next to the original birth certificate my Dad gave me several years ago 🙄

The marriage certificate, however, is not in my possession. So the GRO are getting another £9.25 out of me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
1) google YAF by accident, only one letter, but a very different organisation

ii) when writing a list for a colleague, I started 1) ii) - I think this place if affecting me  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
I am giving a short talk tomorrow at the Dundee Make/Share on modelling biology with tech. At The Beer Kitchen, 7pm start. Free half pint courtesy of Creative Dundee.
Come and see like a bat. Or like a snake. Or like a potato[1]

[1] They have eyes, right?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
[1] They have eyes, right?

They're also naturally curious.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Just looking at these makes me shudder. http://www.compoundchem.com/2018/03/12/novichok/
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Very relieved to have received my certified copy of my birth certificate today (preparations for Brexit and possible change of nationality). I had wondered how easy it would be as I was born in Germany and not sure where my father registered my birth.

I went to put it in the ‘important documents’ folder in my filing box and found the perfect space for it, right next to the original birth certificate my Dad gave me several years ago 🙄

The marriage certificate, however, is not in my possession. So the GRO are getting another £9.25 out of me.

Chicken feed compared to the 60€/page we had to pay to have our parents' UK birth certificates translated into French for our naturalisation.

My daughter works at the European Commission for Civil Status, and she told us that years ago a EU-wide agreement was signed under which participating countries would furnish birth/marriage/death certificates in any of the 27 languages of the community. Britain, of course, opted out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Meanwhile, the cities of Nevers and Lourdes are squabbling over the relics of St. Bernadette.

Beardy

• Shedist
Just looking at these makes me shudder. http://www.compoundchem.com/2018/03/12/novichok/
I fortunately don't know enough chemistry to understand any detail, but I assume that's some BAD SHIT. I've spent years worrying about imminent M.A.D by fusion bomb, but it seems I should also be worrying about other stuff as well :(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Chicken feed compared to the 60€/page we had to pay to have our parents' UK birth certificates translated into French for our naturalisation.

IIRC it was about 100F when I had to get mine done for my application for a Carte de Séjour back in the early 90s. I know that was 25 years ago but even so, that's pretty rampant inflation.

My daughter works at the European Commission for Civil Status, and she told us that years ago a EU-wide agreement was signed under which participating countries would furnish birth/marriage/death certificates in any of the 27 languages of the community. Britain, of course, opted out.

We're so much better off out than in, obviously. :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I fortunately don't know enough chemistry to understand any detail, but I assume that's some BAD SHIT. I've spent years worrying about imminent M.A.D by fusion bomb, but it seems I should also be worrying about other stuff as well :(
Sci Fi novels or movies usually have armageddon/invasion by aliens accompanied by giant machines or immense bombs. I've always thought that toxic gas, poison or viruses would be far more efficient. Particularly a virus (or genetically engineered insect; engineer an insect with larval form that is fatal to the host and the host is humans . . . ).
<i>Marmite slave</i>