Author Topic: Garmin Edge 510 replacement screen  (Read 2022 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Garmin Edge 510 replacement screen
« on: 29 March, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
The wretched dog managed to get hold of my 510 and use it as a chew toy, so now I need to replace the screen...

There seem to be various Chinese sources of "genuine" replacement screens on ebay - are these reliable?

Has anyone else done this before? I've replaced the screens of various phones before, but are there any pitfalls I need to be wary of specific to the 510?

I did have a look at getting it repaired by Garmin but they no longer provide that service for this obsolete device. I've also found an online repair service Nutzzelectronics.co.uk but haven't requested a quote from them yet - has anyone used these people or any similar service you'd recommend?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Garmin Edge 510 replacement screen
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
820 is £141 on Amazon at the moment. That might be useful if factored in.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2019, 04:08:58 pm »
820 is £141 on Amazon at the moment. That might be useful if factored in.

Worth knowing, thanks.

Replacement screen is only £35 though, so that will be my first resort. And I really like the 510 - I know lots of people have all sorts of problems with various Garmin devices, but based on my experience with the 510 over the last five years, it seems to be one of the rare examples of Garmin getting it right, so I think it's worth saving if I can...

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2019, 04:21:36 pm »
Assuming it is pre touch screen I would have thought replacement screen would be fairly straight forward.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2019, 05:03:20 pm »
Assuming it is pre touch screen I would have thought replacement screen would be fairly straight forward.

It’s a capacitive touch screen. I believe the digitiser and lcd come as a complete unit. Further research suggests it should be an easy job... #famouslastwords

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2019, 03:13:43 pm »
Well, that was very easy. Took a while for the replacement screen to be shipped from China (£35 off eBay), and when it finally arrived I then had to find my torx driver set (needs a T5, if anyone’s interested).

The actual replacement is simply a case of removing the six screws, unplugging the ribbon, then plugging in the new one and screwing it down. Much easier than any phone screen I’ve ever replaced.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2019, 11:36:33 am »
I used my 510 for the first time since the repair on yesterday's 300. The night before a long ride is not a good time to discover that the battery is also shagged...

It just won't hold a charge now, and in fact when I tried to charge it on Friday night, having it plugged in seemed to be actively draining the battery very rapidly, so I stopped trying before I killed it. Had to do the whole ride with it plugged into a power pack, which surprisingly worked well, until the power pack ran out of juice towards the end and I had to rely on the residual 12% charge lasting me the final 20km - only just made it (it wouldn't normally run down that quickly).

Anyway, I've now ordered a replacement battery. Fitting that will be a somewhat more complicated task than replacing the screen. I just hope the dog attack hasn't damaged anything else internally - I don't think it has, it seemed to record yesterday's ride without problems, despite the battery issues. New screen works just fine too.