Author Topic: Uses for expired inner tubes  (Read 11261 times)

Tim

Uses for expired inner tubes
« on: 29 April, 2010, 09:54:35 am »
Riding in this morning on the freshly deskogged MTB I considered the chainstay protector I had applied. One length of dead inner tube, wrap the stay and cable tie it at either end. Cheap, practical, and as effective as the expensive alternatives. Doesn't even look particularly bad.

I then considered the flower stick (built from inner tubes), the endless supply of rubber bands (cut from inner tubes), the Heath Robinson rig holding the cat flap open before the mogs worked out how to open it themselves (made from inner tubes) the flogger (made from inner tubes), the frame padding for when the bikes go on the car roof (cut from inner tubes)...

Is there any more useful defunct bicycle bit?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Uses for expired inner tubes
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:59:47 am »
Is there any more useful defunct bicycle bit?

Not that I've found.

I kind-of feel there ought to be something constructive one can do with an old chain, especially if it's still fully serviceable and just retired to keep wear to the rest of the drive train under control.  But I haven't worked out quite what.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:00:58 am »
I have a whole crate of beyond-repair tubes.  I'm wondering whether I'll find a use for all of them one day...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:03:56 am »
Sections of old inner tube make good protectors for the lower headset bearings.  Cut a length about 5 or 6 inches, drop the forks, apply sleeve of inner tube, replace forks, adjust.

A keen mtb'er of my acquaintance is running down old stock of pink latex inner tubes.    :D    

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:06:38 am »
Inner tubes - great for teaching people how to fix punctures. They also make good ties for saplings, but slightly limiting unless you're starting a small woodland retreat.

I really need to get a list of stuff that can be re-used on a bike.
A lot can be re-used - from dust caps upwards.

I've seen belts from tyres but there's only so many you can make.
You can also make a compost heap out of tyres, apparently.
A shitter and a giggler.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:20:05 am »
I always have a half-metre section in the bottom of my wheelbag. When I take the wheels of to put a bike in the back of a car, I loop it round the chain, pull it up and tie it round the brake bridge. It stops the chain from coming off the chainring and flopping around, and I never have to get my hands dirty.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:24:40 am »
Good tip there Rhys.

I use bits of old tube instead of the oft lost bits of mounting rubber that come with anything that clamps to a bike. Dunking them in hot water first lets them stretch easily over bars, stems, cranks (ok, bit of a specialized one that), seat post, etc etc.

With a big pop fastener at either end, an 8" length makes a decent trouser clip.

A  long length can be used instead of a Theraband for physio exercises.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:25:32 am »
I have a whole crate of beyond-repair tubes.  I'm wondering whether I'll find a use for all of them one day...

How about a stretchy garotte for a long and painful dispatch of your local BNP candidate / recalcitrent white van man etc?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:48:30 am »
To solve the same problem, I was thinking about cutting them into long strips and braiding a solid rubber twelve foot singletail whip.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
I have a gert big hardened steel chain for locking my bike, covered with an old 2" MTB inner tube (complete with patches).

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:57:29 am »
I kind-of feel there ought to be something constructive one can do with an old chain, especially if it's still fully serviceable and just retired to keep wear to the rest of the drive train under control.  But I haven't worked out quite what.

I have a rather nice bracelet and choker set made out of some mangled nine-speed that Tim found lying around the garage. It's also a useful way of carrying some spare chain and a quicklink with you.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:08:10 pm »
On my Beloved Stoker's posh French umbrella the top is now held onto the spike by a spare seat-stay clip from a pannier rack, a short M5 bolt, and a layer of inner tube. Quite the most elegant bodge in the home.
Not especially helpful or mature

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
I cut them up to make mouthpiece patches for my saxes. Stick 'em on with Evostick. Last longer than commercial ones too.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »
To solve the same problem, I was thinking about cutting them into long strips and braiding a solid rubber twelve foot singletail whip.

mip
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »

Some sort of Scrapheap Challenge style giant catapult/crossbow/trebuchet, surely?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »
Once you get enough, surely there's only one word needed: Catwoman. :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:01:27 pm »
i have used a several of old innertubes as the power plant for a cotton reel tank. The cotton reel was a cable drum.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:05:55 pm »
The cotton reel was a cable drum.

How big?

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:14:32 pm »

Cut the valve off then cut a slot all the way around the inner "face" of the tube (from the valve hole right round to the valve hole.

Now, get some TIPPEX and write "Continental GatorSkins" on the sidewall.

Hey Presto, you just saved £20 and have something more substantial that the shop-bought original.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »

Cut the valve off then cut a slot all the way around the inner "face" of the tube (from the valve hole right round to the valve hole.

Now, get some TIPPEX and write "Continental GatorSkins" on the sidewall.

Hey Presto, you just saved £20 and have something more substantial that the shop-bought original.

POTD

;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2010, 05:37:27 pm »
Frustrate burglars!
Keep old inner tubes in and Never Ready lamps in cardboard box in lounge.

When burglars visit, they will rifle through this (to them) worthless junk and march out in despair/disgust.

It worked for me...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ThYzoIWFwKE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ThYzoIWFwKE&rel=1</a>

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2010, 06:41:16 pm »
The cotton reel was a cable drum.

How big?

This big:

About 2 feet diameter, maybe a bit less.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2010, 06:52:03 pm »
I have them in the shed, i used bits every now and then. I also wrapped a big heavy chain with inner tubes.

Old chains i have used as a loop for keys, other then that i just put them in a bag and leave them in the shed. Never know when ill need some.

Old tyres i never know what to do with them, so i just throw them on top of my shed. They can sit on there and do whatever. I just dont want to throw them away, id rather re use the, for something.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:04:45 pm »

Tie them all together good and tight.
Then find a very high up place and tie one end to something very secure and the other end to yourself.

Then...

Bungeee!!