Author Topic: Question for Garmin City Navigator Users  (Read 2122 times)

Question for Garmin City Navigator Users
« on: 06 January, 2009, 05:28:37 pm »
I recently bought City Navigator 2009 on a disc, cheap non Garmin copy, you know how it is.

Having installed it on a 2gb micro disc the mapping seems to installed as should be on my  Legend HCx.

My problem is that I want to transfer the mapping from the device to Mapsource so I can plan, edit routes etc. When I tick the transfer box and attempt to send the mapping I get an error message to the effect 'could not open mapping as Navigator maps are not installed'

Any work a rounds for this?

Also, I seem to recall that you should be able to navigate to a UK postcode, is that do able?

Many thanks :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Question for Garmin City Navigator Users
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
Basically it's very hard to transfer maps from the GPS device to Mapsource - see the "which maps?" thread for some workarounds.  Garmin would like you to buy twice, I think.

I use Gmaps Pedometer instead.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2009, 07:39:41 pm »
Hi Craig

City Navigator came on a DVD, basically consists of a 1.52 gb gmappsupp Img file and various POIs. The contents of the DVD have been successfully transferred to a 2gb micro SD card and the mapping is ok on the GPS.

Seeing as the majority of City Navigator 2009 seem to be sold as the SD/SD micro card only option perhaps Garmin didn't intend it to be used with Mapsource.

Still working on the BitTorrent option.

Thanks for your help with this one. :)

The Mechanic

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2009, 07:59:28 pm »
Load the disc onto the computer.  You can then transfer the maps to the GPS either in sections per route or in great chunks. 

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2009, 02:16:55 pm »
It sounds like what you've got is an SD card version of CN copied to a DVD.

Via proper channels, you have to buy the DVD version of City Navigator to use it on the PC. Once this is installed, you get the Mapsource program and a whole raft of individual .img files (separate map tiles). Running Mapsource will then merge the individual map tiles into a single gmapsupp.img file for use on the GPS.

problems:
a) get mapsource from somewhere & install it
b) split up your gmapsupp.img file into manageable chunks. this may not be necessary?
c) get mapsource to register the split up chunks
Have fun ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2009, 02:22:16 pm »
Buying dodgy copies of CN2009 on DVD are not worth it as you can easily get a disk image via the usual "alternative" sources, burn it and install it on your machine.  Unlock programs and instructions are available too - often in the same package and it's easy enough to transfer the maps you need to the SD card in the unit via a USB cable.

If technically-challenged redheaded harridans can do this, anyone can.

Allegedly  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk