Author Topic: Pugsley!!  (Read 36789 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Pugsley!!
« Reply #50 on: 13 October, 2012, 07:04:54 am »
I promised to ask from a couple of danish pugsley owners :
Where in the UK or in europe for that matter is it possible to buy tyres.
We know about Charliethebikemonger, but there must be other dealers.

The problem is that buying in the US doubles the cost of the tyres due to vat & customs, before it lands at the doorstep in Denmark.

Apart from Charlie (who's a great guy to deal with!) I've used Triton in the past. The Bike Chain and Sideways have some fat stuff as well but I haven't used them myself. What tyres are they after?

Sadly we have the same problem with prices here in the UK...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #51 on: 13 October, 2012, 08:13:07 am »
Thank you for the info Paul.
Yes the price on tyres are high, hopefully it will drop as there get more bikes on the beaches.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #52 on: 13 October, 2012, 08:35:57 am »
On one are close to releasing a fat bike anr are having their own tyres made
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #53 on: 13 October, 2012, 11:57:44 am »
On one are close to releasing a fat bike anr are having their own tyres made
The tyres look interesting.
The bike itself is a massive disappointment (IMO) - the 170mm rear end will pretty much limit you to hubs from Hope and Salsa (both likely to be expensive), the frame is set up with vertical dropouts (WTF?!) which, given how many fat-bikers run singlespeed or IGH is a massive fail.  For me, the 170mm rear spacing was a dealbreaker, and one of the reasons I bought a Pugsley rather than, say, a Mukluk.

The 'running 2 rear wheels' thing is kind of moot now, given that both the Neckromancer Pug and the Moonlander are running non-offset forks, but at least the option to upgrade (or side-grade?!) exists with the Pugsley.

I don't think the boys at QBP have much to worry about, even if On-One manage to get it within their price target (sub-£1000, IIRC)

« Reply #54 on: 13 October, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »
My favorite foreign part supplier bike-components.de has some Surly tires, and they are expensive, but I have no idea what the price is at other places.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

PaulF

« Reply #55 on: 13 October, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »
Also Charlie has a great deal on cosmetic seconds on the Hüsker Dü at £59.99. I got one and can't see what's wrong with it! They're far better than an Endomorph on trails but not as grippy as the Nate.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #56 on: 13 October, 2012, 02:22:29 pm »
For buying fat-bike parts, Charlie is definitely the go-to guy, at least in the UK - he's happy to ship overseas but at the same time he's not afraid to tell folks how much carriage etc. will be even if its going to cost him a  sale. In addition, because of Parcel Farce's size restrictions, you'll really get hammered for carriage on things like tyres which can't fold down.

There's are growing fat-bike scenes in Sweden and Finland (the latter, in particular) so it might be worth seeing if there are any distributors/bike shops in the 'other' Scandinavian countries that do fat-bike stuff - no doubt shipping to Denmark will be a lot cheaper from them than it would be from a UK dealer.

Probably helps too that both Sweden and Finland are in the EU, so shipping to Denmark won't attract any nasty customs-type charges.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #57 on: 13 October, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »
My favorite foreign part supplier bike-components.de has some Surly tires, and they are expensive, but I have no idea what the price is at other places.
At current GBP/EUR exchange rates they don't look too bad at all - the non-folding Nates work out at around £55 (EUR67) each at the current rate, and the non-folding Larry is sub-£50 (EUR60). Postage-wise, you're probably looking at around EUR20 to pretty much anywhere in continental Europe, since I'd definitely class non-folding fat-bike tyres as bulky goods ;)

At those prices, I reckon they'd be worth a punt.

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #58 on: 13 October, 2012, 02:33:23 pm »

There's are growing fat-bike scenes in Sweden and Finland (the latter, in particular) so it might be worth seeing if there are any distributors/bike shops in the 'other' Scandinavian countries that do fat-bike stuff - no doubt shipping to Denmark will be a lot cheaper from them than it would be from a UK dealer.

Yes that's what it should be, but the situation are quite different. Sweden are expensive to buy bikeparts in, more so than in Denmark, and the charge a measly £15 for shipping it  :o
The cheapest places to buy parts and complete bikes in for me are Germany and the UK. Tyres seems to be Germany at present due to the Euro vs. £. I can buy a complete groupset for less money in UK, than my lbs have to pay the danish supplier.  >:(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #59 on: 13 October, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »

Yes that's what it should be, but the situation are quite different. Sweden are expensive to buy bikeparts in, more so than in Denmark, and the charge a measly £15 for shipping it  :o
The cheapest places to buy parts and complete bikes in for me are Germany and the UK. Tyres seems to be Germany at present due to the Euro vs. £. I can buy a complete groupset for less money in UK, than my lbs have to pay the danish supplier.  >:(
I'd definitely not get your tyres from the UK - even if someone like Charlie could do a price-match you'd get savaged on the carriage costs due to the Parcel Force sizing restrictions. The bike-components.de prices don't look at all bad, and even taking into account the 'bulky components' surcharge I'd say it's worth it if you're buying more than one tyre - doubly so if you end up doing a 'bulk' order for a bunch of people.

PaulF

« Reply #60 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:18:34 am »
For Fatbike owners (I'm not sure there are any others here other than interzen and I) or just the 'fat curious' there's a new UK Fatbike forum here http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/index.php

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #61 on: 15 October, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
For Fatbike owners (I'm not sure there are any others here other than interzen and I) or just the 'fat curious' there's a new UK Fatbike forum here http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/index.php
I reckon we need a secret handshake or something :)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #62 on: 18 October, 2012, 12:52:20 pm »
Slightly OT - but where else does it belong.

Popped up on On-One's Facebook just now - the pre-order for the Fatty

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOFATX5/on_one_fatty

I shall not spoil the surprise of the price.

I still want a fat bike.  I have no use for one and separation from the girlfriend is a good possibility if I even brought a skinny little carbon bling bike home, let along a fatty.  Still want one....
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

PaulF

« Reply #63 on: 18 October, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »

I still want a fat bike.  I have no use for one and separation from the girlfriend is a good possibility if I even brought a skinny little carbon bling bike home, let along a fatty.  Still want one....

Go for the fat bike, you'll have so much fun that you probably won't notice that your girlfriend has gone :demon:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #64 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:07:54 pm »

Go for the fat bike, you'll have so much fun that you probably won't notice that your girlfriend has gone :demon:
I'd keep saving for a bit longer and buy a Pugsley - far more versatile.

« Reply #65 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:11:14 pm »
What is the difference from a Pugsley?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #66 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
In no particular order:

• About £500
  • 170mm spaced rear end (need a new hub? You're stuck with Salsa or Hope - the former will cost you around £160)
  • Vertical dropouts (Pugsley and Moonlander have slot dropouts with mech hanger) - want singlespeed or IGH without faff? Tough luck

It has potential as a race machine, but that's about it. The great thing about the Pugsley and the Moonlander is that they're so bloody versatile, weirdness notwithstanding especially as they can use a fair number of standard MTB components. Not so with the On-One.

Good luck to them - they'll probably sell a metric fuckton of them, but I can't help thinking that they've missed the point of what a fatbike should do.

All IMO, of course.

PaulF

« Reply #67 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:19:33 pm »

The Pugsley is the original and probably a better allrounder: same hubs front and rear so you can swap wheels if your gears fail in the middle of nowhere; rack mounts front and rear whereas the Fatty is the new kid on the block with a more trail oriented geometry, no rack mounts and new tyres as opposed to Surly's which have a track history.

Plus the differences from the post above!

I was waiting for the Fatty but found a Pugsley on eBay so maybe I'm biased. I haven't ridden the Fattie, but I'm sure that both of them will take you places you never thought you'd go on a bike.

If you want one I'd decide quickly, the initial run of frames is quite small apparently

« Reply #68 on: 19 October, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »
I'm not in the market (if I was it would be a pugsley or moonlander), just curious.

Interzen's list does make the Pugsley sound so very much the better machine.

He's missed one thing tho' - extrawheel trailers available for Pugsley that take Pugsley wheel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #69 on: 19 October, 2012, 03:59:44 pm »
I'm not in the market (if I was it would be a pugsley or moonlander), just curious.
If you want a test ride, I'm sure I could make that happen ;)

« Reply #70 on: 21 October, 2012, 12:38:12 am »
A mate of mine converted a bob trailer to take a kitesurfing buggy wheel. Works pretty well.

« Reply #71 on: 21 October, 2012, 12:44:53 am »
the one big thing I wonder about with the On One is the 1x10 gearing. A really low gear is pretty useful when on soft stuff or rock crawling. Looks pretty sweet though.

here's a video I done of a ride from last week.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byWOoOlt6XY&amp;feature=g-upl" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byWOoOlt6XY&amp;feature=g-upl</a>

cheers

Mike

« Reply #72 on: 21 October, 2012, 10:49:18 am »
Nice vid!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Gus

• We will return
« Reply #73 on: 03 November, 2012, 04:17:18 pm »
I have just borrowed a Pugsley for as long as I want.
Rode 15 km very muddy singletrack this afternoon.
It was so much fun and I was able to ride places that I never could on my MTB.
In fact it was so fun  that I didn't discover I was bonk,before I hit the wall.

But I'm still smiling, it is a bloody good ride a Pugsley  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #74 on: 03 November, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »
I have just borrowed a Pugsley for as long as I want.
Rode 15 km very muddy singletrack this afternoon.
It was so much fun and I was able to ride places that I never could on my MTB.
In fact it was so fun  that I didn't discover I was bonk,before I hit the wall.

But I'm still smiling, it is a bloody good ride a Pugsley  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They are fun aren't they?

So you do you think you'll ever give it back?