Author Topic: Lower back pain  (Read 1972 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Lower back pain
« on: 14 February, 2019, 10:01:44 pm »
Do any other 'bent riders suffer from lower back pain as a result?

In the recent cold spell after my off on ice, I rode the trike daily for two weeks, and experienced gradually increasing back pain. This has gradually gone since stopping. I've suspected this in the past, but this is the first time it has been so obvious.

It has to be said my lumbar back is weak at the best of times.

Any advice re position (especially angle of recline) or technique to minimise.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2019, 11:12:27 pm »
My lower back isn't entirely happy with the mesh seat on the trike, which is tensioned for the benefit of barakta's shoulders to the effect of very tight at the top and a bit looser in the middle.  The effect is much like driving a car, where I usually get mildly annoyed by poor lumbar support after a couple of hours.

No lower[1] back problems with long rides on either of my recumbent bikes, which have the same hardshell seat (and Ventisit pad, though one is much more worn than the other) at different (but both more reclined than the trike) angles.

(FWIW Both barakta and I have quite deeply curved (anterior lordosis) lumbar spines.  She gets hers from her mum.)

Make of that what you will.  It's a bit harder to be scientific with mesh seats, but they're easier to tweak.

[1] The Red Baron's seat angle favours aerodynamics over comfort, which makes it harder work on the neck/shoulders (though less so, and in the opposite direction to, an upwrong).

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:56:37 am »
The only time I get any pain from my back while on the trike is if my back is very bad to start with and I twist wrong in the seat so that the lower back goes twinge.
Other than that my back tends to hurt less the longer I cycle.
But I am using a hardshell seat at its most reclined on my ICE trike so there's minimum stress/strain on my back.

Luck ..........  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:14:11 am »
Only if going uphill, or "sprinting" and I'm arching to try and get more "power".

I imagine that's not a problem for Kim, highly trained prizewinner that she is  :-*
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:11:26 am »
It may just be that the pedalling action for the 'bent engages different muscles, and loads the lower back more than an upright.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2019, 04:24:43 pm »
I used to get some when I rode. I've since lowered the angle, brought in the boom, and ridden a bit more; I suspect the boom length made the difference, but lots of other possible variables.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2019, 04:53:14 pm »
Only if going uphill, or "sprinting" and I'm arching to try and get more "power".

I imagine that's not a problem for Kim, highly trained prizewinner that she is  :-*

Ha, and indeed, ha.  Just been out on a 'bent for the first time in yonks, and there's a conspicuous absence of that 'power' stuff.  (I'd previously been blaming studded tyres and Bromptons and such.)

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2019, 04:54:29 pm »
I occasionally get back pain that means I do not want to ride my upright, but am quite happy going out on bent. Hard shell, ventisist and seat recline about 32 degrees.