Author Topic: Kielder 100 mile MTB Marathon  (Read 2675 times)

Kielder 100 mile MTB Marathon
« on: 16 August, 2009, 07:56:48 pm »
I'm thinking of doing this. It will be a real challenge but seems awfully expensive to enter at £50 plus the cost of getting there and 2 overnights.
It could however be a real epic though.
Anybody else thinking about it?

Zoidburg

Re: Kielder 100 mile MTB Marathon
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2009, 08:02:07 pm »
I haven't looked into this race but if it is out in the geniune god honest wilderness then £50 does not sound too much to cover costs, as in insurance, medical cover etc etc

People have been known to die doing stuff like this so I would be more worried if it was really cheap to enter.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:31:28 pm »
I was real excited to see this event, there is nothing else like it in the UK and think the £50 is OK. But alas I set of that weekend to cycling to Spain so can't make it,  :(but next year I will for sure!  ;D

Think it will generate a lot of interest if it' a good course. Would be good if it ends up with cult status like the Leadville 100 in the States.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »
Now that would be good if Lance turned up to ride it!!

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2009, 10:41:34 am »
Russ
Found this in the volunteer section.
'For a reduced entry fee of £25 riders can act as Tail End Charlies. Each pair will be allocated a 20-30 mile section of course which you will be required to ride with a two-way radio, staying behind the last rider making sure the course is clear. At the end of your section you will hand over to the next pair - you can then either continue on the route and finish the course, or return to race HQ.

All Tail End Charlie riders have the option of completing the entire course, as long as you ride your allocated section behind the last rider. You'll also get all the same goodies as full priced entries and be eligible for spot prizes.

For more details about the Tail End Charlie role please email more@kielder100.co.uk'

I rode at the 'Brighton Big Dog' last weekend and am really keen to do a bit more off-road stuff, can't make this date, but if they run it next year I'd like to do it, as said it should be a classic.

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2009, 09:09:19 pm »
Russ
Found this in the volunteer section.
'For a reduced entry fee of £25 riders can act as Tail End Charlies. Each pair will be allocated a 20-30 mile section of course which you will be required to ride with a two-way radio, staying behind the last rider making sure the course is clear. At the end of your section you will hand over to the next pair - you can then either continue on the route and finish the course, or return to race HQ.

All Tail End Charlie riders have the option of completing the entire course, as long as you ride your allocated section behind the last rider. You'll also get all the same goodies as full priced entries and be eligible for spot prizes.

For more details about the Tail End Charlie role please email more@kielder100.co.uk'

I rode at the 'Brighton Big Dog' last weekend and am really keen to do a bit more off-road stuff, can't make this date, but if they run it next year I'd like to do it, as said it should be a classic.

Yes Velocitizen, I saw this and seriously considered it but then the competitor in me got the better of me and I entered the full event. I will post after to let you know both how I got on and also my views if it as an event.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2009, 10:05:07 pm »
Just seen on the website that there are 230 entries for this ride.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #7 on: 02 September, 2009, 04:00:37 pm »
I've just returned from Kielder MTB park.Excellant place, very technical rides , in fact I am recovering from a very bad off ( two nights in hospital after a operation job) . But it didn't put me off , makes me curious to do this next year.

« Reply #8 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »
I've just returned from Kielder MTB park.Excellant place, very technical rides , in fact I am recovering from a very bad off ( two nights in hospital after a operation job) . But it didn't put me off , makes me curious to do this next year.

I shall endeavour to report back after the weekend - assuming I survive!!

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:38:54 pm »

I shall endeavour to report back after the weekend - assuming I survive!!

Unfortunately, I survived but the b ike didn't. It lasted until the first feed station at 26 miles by which time my back wheel had all but collapsed. It was so loose that spokes were dropping out! The route however was good and with 230 people entered it looks like they may have an instant classic on their hands. I will certainly enter again next year and hopefully finish!