Author Topic: Any experience of photo books?  (Read 3497 times)

Any experience of photo books?
« on: 30 November, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
Has anyone any experience of or recommendation for photo books? I'd like to get one made from some of our wedding photos - it being a special occasion I'm happy to spend a bit and equally don't want to shell out on something that isn't going to look good.
Any advice?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Any experience of photo books?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:14:15 pm »
I used Photobox to create an A3 book of our cycle touring photos from last year. It was meant to just over £130, opting for all the more pricey options like higher quality paper.  When I ordered they had a 50% off deal taking place, so including P&P it came to just over £70.  They often seem to have offers; looking this evening there is a 40% off offer.

There were loads and loads of options to pick from during the design process, which was good. It was also possible to do a lot of customizing of each individual page. The actual design process took a good few days as I picked which photos to include, arranged them on the page and added text. I did have nine months of photos to sort out while doing this process.

I'm very happy with what I've ended up with and would use this service again if I wanted to create another photobook.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:13:19 am »
Once a month I order a 'free' photo book from an app called 'Photobooks' (I do have trouble working out which app is which sometimes...) . Of course it's not free - you get stung for the postage, but a A5 softback book of about 18 glossy pages for about a fiver is quite nice. I'm sure I could find cheaper but CBA. Delivery is quick, quality is consistent and there's a nice little collection illustrating holidays and life events over a decade or two building up which amuses the grandchildren.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:50:59 am »
Mrs Pcolbeck has used Photobox several times with very pleasing results. She says to wait until they have an offer on which is often.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »
I get all my prints and suggest to all my clients they use http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/category/2-photo-books.

A lot of them end up getting prints from DSColour and then buying a nice album, a fancy one with tissue paper between each page, and some old-fashioned photo corners to stick the pics in.  They look great.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:04:21 am »
Wowcher always have good deals on photobooks.

I just got a nice one, a 100 page A4 hardback, for about £20 delivered (Huggler).  100 colour A4 prints at 20p each....I consider that a bargain as my 6x4 prints used to cost that back in 1980.

The B&W images aren't as contrasty as I'd hoped but that's the price you pay for cheap, automated, prints.

You tend to pay a lot more when there's a knowledgeable human looking at the images before printing, certainly more than £20.  The colour images are surprisingly good reproductions though.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »
Lightroom has a book module that interfaces directly with Blurb

www.blurb.co.uk

So I've used them - quality has been excellent.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:17:51 pm »
I was just doing my christmas present photo book with blurb. I've been pleased with the previous two.