Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24hr 2010  (Read 10624 times)

Re: Mersey Roads 24hr 2010
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:19:07 am »
I had a nightmare last night that I'd entered this.

Thank god I woke up.

Are you sure you have?

I'm waiting for new tubs from Wiggle, having discovered a lack of rubber on the current set.

« Reply #26 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:22:17 am »
I had a nightmare last night that I'd entered this.

Have a dream of a ride Jasmine!

(My nightmare's real too...  I again haven't entered. Next year... )

« Reply #27 on: 22 July, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
Shit shit shit.  I really did enter it, they've sent me a little book and everything.  And now other people know about it too so I'm going to have to ride it.  Shit!

Best go find the bike and put some lights on it then.  And get some train tickets.

« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »
Shit shit shit.  I really did enter it, they've sent me a little book and everything.  And now other people know about it too so I'm going to have to ride it.  Shit!

Best go find the bike and put some lights on it then.  And get some train tickets.

Methinks you've been out secretly training - like the school swot who denies doing any revision.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #29 on: 25 July, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »
So? How was it for you?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #30 on: 25 July, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »
Brief summary:
Total training time - 2 weeks.  No ride longer than 4 hours.
Longest distance ever ridden solo - 400 km last year.

Things in my favour: youth, enthusiasm and bull headedness
Things against me: lack of experience or training   :hand:

Started ok.  Got rained on.  Kept a steady, but not fast early pace (17 mph ish).  Stayed on the bike for first 7 hours until my support arrived.  Got faster through the night section (kept 17.5 mph from 8pm until about 3am), got slower again.  Stopped being able to eat by about 10am.  Felt sick. 

Got slower, got much much slower.  Didn't get to the finishing circuit until about 11.30am.  Rode very slowly.  Knees hurting (for those who don't know, I have some fairly major issues from falling on ice in Jan).  Back twinging.

Provisional distance 379.4 miles.  Target was 300 miles.  :D  Bull headedness for the win!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: 25 July, 2010, 08:27:48 pm »
Good one :thumbsup:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #32 on: 25 July, 2010, 10:10:02 pm »
:thumbsup: Well done.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #33 on: 25 July, 2010, 10:26:14 pm »
Not a glorious ride for me. 395 ish with 20 minutes spent waiting for a wheel after a puncture. I didn't really ride wisely or well.

Well done to Jazza.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #34 on: 25 July, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »
Well done Jasmine and Ian both good rides if you ask me.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #35 on: 25 July, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »
Yep Well done both!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:30:46 am »
I got lapped (yes, lapped as in passed twice) on the finishing circuit by John Warnock in the 90 minutes I was there.  This may have had something to do with my pitiful speed by then (about 11mph!), but he was still out on the tri-bars going like a train.  Bastard.

I'm slightly concerned that Damon may have caught on camera what I said to my support as I finished.  I'd had a fairly major sense of humour failure when I realised I had to ride up that hill (that isn't really a hill) to the last time check.

« Reply #37 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:21:06 pm »
John Warnock was lapping at 37 minutes, i.e. 22 mph after 24 hours on a circuit that is by no means flat, he averaged 21.5 mph over the whole 24 hours and lost about 12 minutes for a p*nct*r*, which happened at about 12 hours, the replacement wheel had no speedo magnet so he did the second half on feel.
Results.

Cycling Time Trials > Home

In general I'd say that the weather was good but that the wind direction wasn't ideal for the best distances, the cluster of riders just below 400 miles, an obvious target, shows that it wasn't an ideal day, it favoured riders with a good aero position and a lot of concentration.

« Reply #38 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
I was 27th!

Happy dance.   :D :D

I'm amazed at how cheery and encouraging quite a lot of the riders (and their support) are.  Every member of the Navy team and their support crew would say something encouraging as they passed me.  A lot of the other riders were encouraging as they passed me (there is a bit of a theme here about me getting overtaken a lot).  It's really fantastic to be at an event where there is so much support for all the riders.  I had several people come up to me during one of my stops to tell me they'd been following my progress all day.  :thumbsup:

Edit: If anyone has any photos of me, can you point them to me please? 

Bairn Again

« Reply #39 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »
Pleased with my 379 mls, as the target was 600k.  Bike computer says it was 22 hrs 25 mins on the bike (almost an hour more than last year) and therefore an average riding speed of 16.9 mph. 

Great support from Mrs Ernst (left over “LEL” ravioli – yum!!) and the Irish contingent at Prees not to mention lots of shouts of encouragement from Exit Stage Left, Heather, other riders, support crews (nice cowbell from RNRNCA) and total strangers.  I especially liked the lady standing in the front garden of a house with a glass of rosé in Tilstock about 8pm.  I told her I’d be back in 42 minutes but she never showed up.   

I must have looked like sh*t at the finish as the timekeeper in the lay by on the A41 (it had to be that one) insisted on making me a cup of tea before I wobbled up the road.

« Reply #40 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »
Anyone able to supply a link to a site giving details of results, etc?

<I cannae work out how TTs get any entries!!  I think I'll just join the Masons instead, it seems to be easier to learn their secrets than to enter a TT or find out a result>  :-X

« Reply #41 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »
I was 27th!

Happy dance.   :D :D

Excellent!

Edit: If anyone has any photos of me, can you point them to me please? 
Elly took loads (400+ !) on Mike's camera and says she has some good ones of you.

Mike's preparing a disc or several. We can send files to anyone interested.

« Reply #42 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:57:57 pm »
Results are here.

Cycling Time Trials > Home

More about starting time-trialling.

Begin Time Trialling

I've shifted pictures over to Gallery.

« Reply #43 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
Thanks very muchly  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:07:30 pm »
It was my first ever 24hr TT and I started with a nominal target of 350miles, something which for a first timer I thought would be fair but acheivable. I got a good start and went well into the night. A bacon butty and missing crew led to some lost time around midnight and an enforced 20 min sleep at 4am (As I was in serious danger of just falling off my bike) cost some more time.
I endured the artics on the Prees Island loop, really enjoyed the Quina Brook circuit and could not  believe how poor the surface was on the finishing circuit.
The shouts of encouragement from onlookers throughtout the event were a real spur and made it a thoroughly enjoyable ride. I finished with a confirmed mileage if 353.534 miles - just beating my target. I'll be using this as a big training ride for PBP next year so would hope to do a little better.

I saw several yacf/audaxers at various points - Jim Hopper, Ian h, Jasmine, McNasty and Teethgrinder, indeed I saw McNasty narrowly avoid a nasty altercation with a car just after the start. He had to swerve right out into the road as the idiot car driver pulled out without looking!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #45 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:55:23 pm »
Well done to everyone here. From someone who is well chuffed with a 14 mph average over two hours, to do so for 24 as many of you did staggers me. Chapeau to each and every one.

« Reply #46 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:39:06 pm »
I was 27th!

You did a good ride. :thumbsup:
I think it was you that I had in my sights in the night for about 15 miles on the way to Telford and back before I caught you.

Ian H started fast and put 20-30 minutes into me at 100 miles, but seemed to lose it when it got dark.

I was happy with my ride. I was aiming for 410 but ended up with 404. Not good for me, but I know I haven't done very much this year. I started a bit too quick for me and had a rough patch at about 80 miles. Then I slowed down and recovered then rode at a better pace for me for the rest of the ride. I definitely noticed that I didn't have as much in my legs this year and it was a pretty uncomfortable ride this year, so I think 404 was a good ride for me this year.

Chatted with John Warnock before we started. He told me that I looked "Much less haggerred than usual" after I told him that I haven't done many miles this year. John hadn't done any open time trials this year and got the miles in instead. He rode the Bryan Chapman 600 and thought it was a very good ride.
Starting 3 minutes behind me, he caught me within less than 10 miles, as I predicted. I never thought he was going as well as he usualy did, Perhaps he paced himself better than usual?
On the finish circuit just before the Cock'O'Barton climb, I heard a very forcefull voice shout some encouragement to me. I didn't know where it was coming from but it was from behind. A few seconds later, John went past. He was as strong on the finish circuit as I am. Except that he is a much faster rider than me. Where I would be doing 18-20 on a good day, he was doing 22mph. I think that was the strongest finish I've ever seen from a >500 miler, except maybe Wilco.
I'm glad that he got over 500 miles because he's come very close a few times. I'd have never guessed that he'd have done 516 :o
Fantastic ride!

« Reply #47 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »
John Warnock has some interesting foibles, he rode in shorts (not bibshorts) and a shirt, he stuck all his gel wrappers into his shorts legs to avoid litter, which is commendable, but gives him very sticky legs. The bike he rode was a mid 1990s Hotta monocoque carbon fibre machine. He had a good management style with his team, thanking them for performing their tasks even when under strain himself, an excellent advert for the way that the extreme pressure of these events reveals underlying character.

« Reply #48 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:37:46 am »
I was 27th!

You did a good ride. :thumbsup:
I think it was you that I had in my sights in the night for about 15 miles on the way to Telford and back before I caught you.

Yes, it was.  I saw you at the turn in Telford so I was surprised that I made it almost to Tern Hill before you caught me.

I think I managed to pace myself quite well in the end.  I was a bit concerned about the number of people passing me early on, but I'd been told in no uncertain terms not to attempt to ride at 20mph for the first few hours, but to ride a steady 16-17 for as long as possible.  I was apparently still riding at 16-17mph at 5am.  Wheels fell off a bit after 11am though.  I wasn't a happy bunny on the finishing circuit.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 27 July, 2010, 03:01:01 pm »
It seems Rapha have got their hooks into this fine event:

Man doing it fixed & UC looking strong.  on Twitpic
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles