Author Topic: £1.6 million for cycling&walking in Birmingham  (Read 1208 times)

£1.6 million for cycling&walking in Birmingham
« on: 13 June, 2020, 11:31:38 am »
Yes, it does mean you have to be in Birmingham...
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/news/article/634/16_million_of_cycling_and_walking_measures_to_be_delivered_in_birmingham
No specifics though
There are 14 schemes outlined for delivery in Birmingham over the coming weeks. The project bids were submitted to the Department of Transport on Friday 5 June. They include:
Temporary pop-up cycle lanes on 7 priority cycle routes to connect into the city centre, with existing cycle infrastructure, to key employment sites and other major destinations.
A Park and Pedal programme to provide park and cycle options at rail station car parks and other suitable locations. These facilities will largely link into current cycle routes, but some short temporary spurs may be required to link to these places.
The launch of Places for People to create low traffic neighbourhoods across Birmingham, created by using bollards or planters to close roads to through-traffic and make walking and cycling safer for local journeys.
Reallocation of road space and pavement widening in two local centres – Stirchley and Moseley - to create space for walking and social distancing. Aligned with other measures to support business spill-out activity in these areas, including the return of the popular Moseley Farmers’ Market.
The City Centre Traffic Cells Initiative, proposed in the draft Birmingham Transport Plan, will also be brought forward, with the aim of creating a less traffic dominated environment and providing people wishing to travel to the city centre with safer alternatives to private car. This will include the introduction of bus gates, banning some turning manoeuvres, and introducing contraflow cycling on one-way streets.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: £1.6 million for cycling&walking in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
I like Brum but I've only cycled through it on the canals and down New Street to the stations.

Wolvo has asked for £20 million part of which is for cycling and walking.
How wisely it will be spent is another matter. When I was a CTC rep I quickly discovered that the Roads officers were largely motorists living well outside of the place they were making decisions about.
Also, a councillor with a brief for cycling was ok with a cycle lane being removed because, "We will be getting a Debenhams!" With that kind of thinking I threw in the towel.
The cycle lane was removed, Debenhams arrived some years later. Debenhams lasted only two years, but the cycle lane is permanently erased.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2020, 11:53:26 am »
I expect that whatever of this actually happens will be in line with the cycling infrastructure in the existing transport plan (extending the A38 segregated route to Northfield, for example).  The social distancing measures they've already implemented consist of the suspension and barriering-off of a few on-street parking bays.

It's the traffic cells that I'm most interested in.  Done well this could be revolutionary.

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2020, 02:13:34 pm »
I was in Wolverhampton town centre yesterday morning and a lot of bollards had sprung up as well as some painted lanes; work appeared to still be in progress. It was confusing. I may be going up again tomorrow so will aim to get a better look when it is quieter.
My understanding is that Queen Sq/Lichfield St (along which NCN81 runs) will be oneway for all traffic in the downhill (westerly) direction with a cycle only contraflow heading towards the station.
After the earlier announcements on the council website I did make some suggestions to a friendly Transportation Officer about additional ways to spend money viz:

Cycle parking at local centres that do not already have it
Training for new/returning adult cyclists
'Be aware of cyclists' messages on the main rd/ring rd display boards.

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2020, 05:33:36 pm »
I was in Wolverhampton town centre yesterday morning and a lot of bollards had sprung up as well as some painted lanes; work appeared to still be in progress. It was confusing. I may be going up again tomorrow so will aim to get a better look when it is quieter.
My understanding is that Queen Sq/Lichfield St (along which NCN81 runs) will be oneway for all traffic in the downhill (westerly) direction with a cycle only contraflow heading towards the station.
After the earlier announcements on the council website I did make some suggestions to a friendly Transportation Officer about additional ways to spend money viz:

Cycle parking at local centres that do not already have it
Training for new/returning adult cyclists
'Be aware of cyclists' messages on the main rd/ring rd display boards.

There was training available for returning cyclists from West Midlands buses. I had five one hour sessions for free with nice young chap named Lee about six years ago.

They have reduced the Ring Road speed limit to 30 as an experiment. Victoria Street is being pedestrianised down to Bell St., that will be interesting for buses that run Westward out of town, and the 'West Side' is being redeveloped with an events area and 160 new apartments. I think the West Side is the previous market area.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2020, 07:52:11 pm »
They have reduced the Ring Road speed limit to 30 as an experiment. Victoria Street is being pedestrianised down to Bell St., that will be interesting for buses that run Westward out of town, and the 'West Side' is being redeveloped with an events area and 160 new apartments. I think the West Side is the previous market area.
Yes, the West Side development is where the market used to be (now up by the library). The development is not now as extensive as was originally planned; Peel St survives whereas it would have been engulfed. The whole plan is now delayed due to the plague:
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/property/2020/06/08/wolverhamptons-westside-development-hit-by-coronavirus-delay-woes/