Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 214317 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #675 on: 18 December, 2019, 09:48:05 am »
Are you couriering there now. QG? I thought you were some sort of software-programmer-coder-electronic-geek person?

I got fed up with the IT industry so am couriering. I may look for some IT work for a couple of days a week.

I consider myself a brewer by trade, but when I moved to .NL I couldn't get work brewing (microbreweries haven't taken off here in quite the scale they have in the UK), so had to go back to my old IT career.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #676 on: 18 December, 2019, 10:58:21 am »
Brewing sounds far more interesting! I wonder if it hasn't caught on because of easy access to lots of good Belgian beer or do the Dutch actually like Grolsch?

Couriering sounds interesting but I've done that and yes it can be but... whereas I know nothing of being a brewer. When I was in Warsaw (~2000), there was an American teaching at the same school who was also a brewer by trade, had set out to ride across Europe – in fact I think he started with a flight to Amsterdam – so I'm now wondering if there's some connection between brewing and being a sort of cycle-vagabond (though I really don't think you want to emulate some of his vagabondage).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #677 on: 18 December, 2019, 08:45:49 pm »
Are you couriering there now. QG? I thought you were some sort of software-programmer-coder-electronic-geek person?

I got fed up with the IT industry so am couriering. I may look for some IT work for a couple of days a week.

I consider myself a brewer by trade, but when I moved to .NL I couldn't get work brewing (microbreweries haven't taken off here in quite the scale they have in the UK), so had to go back to my old IT career.

J

You can't be the first to get fed up with IT (and almost certainly won't be the last)!
Strikes me you are in the wrong country. Lots of micro-breweries in southern France, almost the only sort of brewery there is down here. Whether one can say that they've taken off or just that they struggle for existence like anything else micro when faced with the grand distribution buying power is a mute point. Take care when you route check the 1200 that you make it back to Dordrecht, you should be going close to a few.

An old friend that I met when motorcycle dispatching eventually tried cycle dispatching. His comment was that people didn't realise how much fuel was needed and how expensive it was when compared to motorbiking. He stopped when his bike (pedal variety) got clamped in central London.

« Reply #678 on: 18 December, 2019, 08:57:25 pm »

I am actually carrying this at least once a week at present

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111636.0 gives the original discussion on this one but in fact the solution was much easier than I thought, given a Camper saddlebag on the target bike. I've been doing this for a while now, just didn't get round to taking a photo.
It isn't much wider than the bars and for a route that is mainly shared use pavement it's ok, the short bit of road scares me a bit but I will do more damage to a car hitting it than the car is likely to do to me, given that it can swing round a bit. I would have doubts about doing this regularly in heavy urban traffic. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #679 on: 18 December, 2019, 10:10:32 pm »
Probably works as car-repellent...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #680 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:07:47 am »
I can see the bike rack, but where do you attach the car?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #681 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:34:09 am »
Car battery died, off to Halfords for a new one
Interesting handling

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #682 on: 09 January, 2020, 06:00:22 pm »

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #683 on: 10 January, 2020, 12:27:40 am »
Not content with carrying a bench grinder, which at 12kg didn't trouble my Elephant Bike's front basket at all, I then helped tidy up the remains of a tree that came down earlier in the week.

I am not sure what the wood weighed, but it was sufficiently heavy and high up, and insufficiently restrained, that my bike developed a surprising and rather horrible torsional oscillation at 7mph that made it hard to steer in a straight line.

Loggage
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #684 on: 10 January, 2020, 02:42:46 pm »
Reckon you could have done with some kind of tightening strap there, not just bungies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #685 on: 10 January, 2020, 03:45:51 pm »
I am not sure what the wood weighed, but it was sufficiently heavy and high up, and insufficiently restrained, that my bike developed a surprising and rather horrible torsional oscillation at 7mph that made it hard to steer in a straight line.

I managed to achieve something similar by overloading the Red Baron with full camping kit (I was only riding a couple of miles to/from the station at each end, and hadn't even attempted to optimise the weight distribution).  I found that the handling greatly improved if I sped up (it *is* a Baron) but the concern was it going wibbly-wobbly again if I had to do any sudden braking.  The other advantage to going slowly was the banana bags stayed out of the chain.  Mostly.  (I'd spotted this problem and reinforced the relevant area with a couple of layers of gaffer tape.)

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #686 on: 10 January, 2020, 06:13:46 pm »
Reckon you could have done with some kind of tightening strap there, not just bungies.

Wellquite.  Except I wasn't expecting to come home with half a tree on the back of my bike and therefore hadn't brought with me any of my ratchet straps, or indeed brought my trailer.  The bungees live on the rear rack, so that's what I used.

I found that the handling greatly improved if I sped up (it *is* a Baron) but the concern was it going wibbly-wobbly again if I had to do any sudden braking.

My bike's handling improved noticeably if I sped up to 10mph, and thus moved beyond resonance.  The problem was having:
  • the nerve to do so; and
  • to slow down again for tiresome things like corners, dropped kerbs, and skog.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #687 on: 10 January, 2020, 06:19:11 pm »
It does look a trailer-worthy load. Though I can't help feeling an Elephant bike plus trailer is just asking to exceed the motive power of anyone's thighs other than Chris Hoy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #688 on: 10 January, 2020, 06:20:15 pm »
It does look a trailer-worthy load. Though I can't help feeling an Elephant bike plus trailer is just asking to exceed the motive power of anyone's thighs other than Chris Hoy.

The trick, of course, is to only carry loads from places of higher elevation than the destination.  Then it becomes an exercise in brakes.

« Reply #689 on: 10 January, 2020, 08:52:21 pm »
The other solution would be to avoid cutting up the tree on site, tack two wheels on it with humongous great nails and tow it!   :thumbsup: (But that assumes that you have a pair of suitable wheels, nails and a hammer)

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #690 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:55:58 pm »
I can't help feeling an Elephant bike plus trailer is just asking to exceed the motive power of anyone's thighs other than Chris Hoy.

Operation Vacu-Suck

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #691 on: 11 January, 2020, 12:09:03 am »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #692 on: 11 January, 2020, 09:28:07 pm »
Yebbut it's dead flat and... Arellcat is hereby declared teh Hoyness!  :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #694 on: 13 February, 2020, 04:19:42 pm »

From a couple of weeks ago. Same setup as I used for the Willesden's Last Gasp but with a British Army arctic sleeping bag instead of two cheapo decathlon summer ones.

Not light but it worked OK. That's hot cross buns strapped to the sleeping gubbins...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #695 on: 13 February, 2020, 05:12:32 pm »
That's hot cross buns strapped to the sleeping gubbins...
You are Butterfly otp AICMFP!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #696 on: 13 February, 2020, 05:19:51 pm »
That's hot cross buns strapped to the sleeping gubbins...
You are Butterfly otp AICMFP!

Butterfly would use proper panniers.   ;D

« Reply #697 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:00:48 am »
Home from work yesterday with two 12v wheelchair batteries strapped atop the rack. Made the climbs hard work.

« Reply #698 on: 10 March, 2020, 07:19:58 pm »
So basically, you were riding an e-bike, except that you forgot to connect the power up? ???