Poll

Do you pay for your music?

Yes, I buy it all in at least one format
There are some things I will copy/download for free
Buying music is for chumpz
I use streaming services
Misc/Other

Author Topic: Do you pay for your music?  (Read 2502 times)

Do you pay for your music?
« on: 16 February, 2020, 02:20:57 pm »
I used to have strong views, but it's less clear in my mind now.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Do you pay for your music?
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:28:15 pm »
I listen to radio, buy CDs & LPs (usually 2nd hand, unless at a performance).  I also spend a lot on live performance, usually classical or jazz.   Currently waiting for the RLPO Youth Orchestra to begin.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:29:30 pm »
Subscribe
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2020, 03:06:04 pm »
I've always paid for music, never ripped it off. I love it, and I want people to continue making it, so I pay for it. Currently Spotify. Dont buy CDs anymore.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:10:01 pm »
^^^ Wot he said, in spades.
It is simpler than it looks.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:15:36 pm »
I buy cds and downloads. I don't do streaming or radio for personal listening. Occasionally I'll listen to something on YouTube if I have to learn it  for one of the bands I'm in.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
Radio in the car, Spotify / tunein at home.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:21:01 pm »
Still occasionally buy CDs or vinyl but these days its mainly Amazon Prime or Spotify (which came free with my phone contract I'll probably go back to just Prime when that runs out).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:27:33 pm »
Still buy CDs or buy a download, preferably from the artist's own site.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:47:57 pm »
Will buy CDs of the stuff I actually care about, but will happily use radio, free downloads or piracy[1] to discover new things, on the odd occasion that I do.  Don't listen to enough music (and when I do, it's usually away from an internet conneciton) to pay for the likes of Spotify.

[1] These days it's mostly in the form: "Never heard of them..." *goes and plays a couple of tracks on YouTube*

ian

« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:57:52 pm »
I used to buy CDs, then I moved to downloads. I didn't really like the idea of licensing music and having it all disappear if I stopped paying the subscription. But, about a year ago, I figured that tbh, other than a small proportion of the tunes I buy, it mostly has a short half-life and I was spending a multiple of the monthly subscription on downloads, so I now have Apple Music. It makes it easy to try new stuff and wallow in nostalgia.

I've always paid: artists, writers, the people who make films and TV deserve to get paid for the stuff we like. If you don't, well, eventually you get shit paid for by advertising or the sale of your personal data. Stealing stuff is stealing stuff no matter how you dress it up.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:36:08 pm »
Yebbut.  Massive shift in the costs of listening over past 15 years.  I have stacks of old CDs, last used ehm many many years ago.  The price tags on the cases e.g. £13.99 in 1980s money does raise one's eyebrow.  You mean I paid how much!  And now I can skip through free Spotify for not quite everything.

And having had a teen daughter through the mid 00's, anyone remember Limewire?  Was down wiv da kids.

« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:51:58 pm »
Spotify means no expensive mistakes, and not getting hustled by some vinyl-pusher in a record shop. I listen to something I like, get a bit zoned, and then experience something akin to the *seminal experience of getting dosed on Benilyn by Plug otp on the Baxters bus back from PBP 2007 whilst in recovery from flu and discovering hidden tracks on Bitches Brew that I've never been able to rediscover

*spotify does this thing where if you  chill out a bit itll carry on playing stuff akin to the stuff you were listening to and very often its fucking amazing

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »
And having had a teen daughter through the mid 00's, anyone remember Limewire?  Was down wiv da kids.

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1228522910479872000

ian

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
I'm not sure what kids do these days, I remember my teenage years, where every Saturday afternoon meant a trip to Selectadisc, flipping through the vinyl preparing to invest my very limited funds (courtesy of my crappy local freesheet paper round – this basically paid for one single and the bus fare). Some stuff wasn't cool enough to buy there, so you had to go to Our Price. When I hit sixteen and got a Saturday job at the Coop it was awful. On the other hand, on the rare Saturday I got the day off, I'd haul back a tonne of vinyl.

Now I'm paying £9.99/month for practically everything. Indeed, I remember paying more than that for an album in the 80s. Children, ask your parents what an album is.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:22:45 am »
I buy CDs.

I go to concerts (not as often as I would like to).

I give money to buskers*

Like others, I believe people should be paid for what they contribute. I can afford it, thankfully. I will check out stuff for free on (for example) YouTube but if I really like it I'll buy it. I do listen to the radio quite a bit, but I guess my TV licence covers this.

* unless they're really shite
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:25:14 am »
I'm not sure what kids do these days

If our two are anything to go buy, they have Spotify accounts and buy the odd vinyl LP as a collector's item.
Pen Pusher

Ben T

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
I use spotify but if there is something I want to listen to that it hasn't got, I may relax my usually highly moral criteria around judging the reputability of the site I then proceed to 'purchase' it from  O:-)
That may be partly due to a perception that failure to appear on spotify is the artist's decision. (Is it?)
This is where spotify is much better than apple music, as in, the desktop app can import local files, and somehow (not sure how) sync it to your phone if it is on the same wifi network.
Apple music has a 'my cloud library' which I thought was where you could store your "own" music. But it's actually not that, at all - it can only contain music that apple music recognises. So it's not really MY cloud library, at all - is it, it's just a subset of apple music's library that I have 'purchased', but I don't even need to 'purchase' music off apple music to listen to it if I've got a subscription, I can just listen to it off apple music - so what's the point in 'my cloud library'? None.

ian

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:03:28 pm »
I think you're not quite right about Apple Music, it blends anything you own with the subscription stuff. The iCloud library simply lets you create a unified library and playlists (so you don't have to add something on every device). You can turn it off and just sync your existing music.

That said, the implementation leaves something to be desired, it won't play well with – ironically enough – music I've previously bought from Apple (the library duplicates it so I have the new version and the copy I bought, but since I have ratings etc. on the purchased version, I don't want the copy from Apple Music) I don't want the library version. It seems to work fine on the phone if you opt to keep your original downloaded stuff, but the desktop app is a mess of duplicates (you can delete, just not easily) if you bought any significant number of tunes from Apple. I have no idea the logic behind this.

Whether or not something appears on a subscription service depends on the rights-holder.

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:50:03 pm »
I think you're not quite right about Apple Music, it blends anything you own with the subscription stuff. The iCloud library simply lets you create a unified library and playlists (so you don't have to add something on every device). You can turn it off and just sync your existing music.
Quite simply, though - you can't upload your own music, that it doesn't know about, to its cloud. It just won't do it.

I would describe myself as more IT literate than the average, and after several hours of trying, I could not for the life of me manage to get a track (mp3 that I'd downloaded) that Apple Music didn't recognise from either my windows PC, or my mac, to Apple Music on my iPhone.
If there is a way I would be keen to know of the steps, because although I am now happy with spotify I would be keen to revisit that particular POC. I did actually raise a support request with Apple and they did engage, but conceded that only music their library recognises can be stored in 'my music library'.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2020, 02:24:10 pm »
Like I say, that's no how it works, they used to offer that service (iirc, as did Amazon), but discontinued it (presumably because they were hosting a lot of data, some of dubious provenance).

You have to sync your own music to whatever device (which is fine, I have everything I've previously bought on my iPhone, anything else I add to the library now magically appears and downloads for offline play). There should be an option when you first turn the library on to keep existing music on the phone. If you do, then anything you add outside of Apple Music behaves as music did before, hitting the sync button should send it over to the iPhone. You can combine your stuff with theirs in playlists. In practice, it's seamless.

When it works, of course. It lost all my playlists the other week. The solution was routine turn the library off and on. Fine, except all the Apple Music disappeared off my phone. It comes back but, ah, it's not downloaded. The only way to download everything, even if the auto-download option is enabled, is album-by-album. It's generally good, but there are petty annoyances like that (the main reason I plumped for Apple Musc is for it to play well with my current Apple stuff).

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #21 on: 17 February, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
I used to buy a lot of music and entertainment with itunes. Then I found that actually I didn't like using the system at all, and all my purchases etc were locked in an ecosystem on one set of devices. I probably have >£400 in music I can't access anymore (or rather probably could via some kind of loopy process but I don't have the right logins anymore or whatever).

These days I just stream everything (usually just youtube video mixes) or download it somehow if I want to access it offline. I only really use music as a 'tool' when cycling, lifting weights or otherwise training, it's not really a passion of mine. For training purposes I'm basically still listening to the same stuff I was in 2008. I do go to gigs with friends and stuff though so obviously I pay for that. If I were actively tracking new artists and etc I'd be buying more, or more likely buying merch and other tangible things because I don't need to remember login details or tie myself into certain platforms to use it.

The scarce few artists I do follow like Death Grips release their stuff for free to spite rip off record labels anyway https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pF-abyMeDNIJ:https://pitchfork.com/news/48035-listen-to-death-grips-album-no-love-deep-web-now-check-out-the-extremely-graphic-cover-art/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC CONTENT i.e. the album cover is one of the musician's knobs with the album name felt tipped onto it.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 17 February, 2020, 03:11:03 pm »
Buy the CD then rip it to MD for the car.

Rarely listen to the radio.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2020, 03:35:55 pm »
All the stuff I've ever bought has either been ripped to mp3 or downloaded as un-DRMed mp3/aac, so it can go anywhere. It's the only the subscription stuff that will vamoose if I stop paying the bills. I'd have the option then to buy anything I felt particularly passionate about.

I make a lot of use out of Apple Music for stuff I probably wouldn't have previously bought because I'd only listen to it once in a blue moon, also trying out new stuff. I used to buy a shedload of albums which in a week or two were down to the one track I still liked. With a subscription there's no loss, I can junk the album and just drop the remaining song into a playlist (yeah, I could just buy the song, but I'm old enough to feel guilty if I don't give the entire album a chance).

I listen to the radiogram during the day (well, I stream it as background music) – to be honest, the playlist is about ten songs long, so not much use as anything else.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #24 on: 17 February, 2020, 03:39:18 pm »
I buy music (primarily via Apple Music) but we also subscribe to Spotify, and I try to get to concerts as often as I can (last one was Harry Christophers and The Sixteen in Ely Cathedral last November).  I even have a bit of vinyl knocking about.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor