Author Topic: What's your Eddington number ?  (Read 102632 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: What's your Eddington number ?
« Reply #25 on: 05 July, 2012, 09:30:52 pm »
My recorded rides still give an Eddington no of 68. I have just added the Dun Run to my collection and have now completed 18 century rides.

My problem is that I have 10 recorded rides between 68 and 70 miles. It's going to take me a while to get my Eddington number past 70.  ;D

I have recorded 171 rides in excess of 50 miles, all in the past 7 years or so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #26 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:51:17 am »
A little bit of SQL  tells me mine is currently 42.

Less than my age, but only just.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: 14 July, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »
HK and I think that teethgrinder might be one of the few folk with an Eddington number close to 250.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #28 on: 17 July, 2012, 07:55:20 pm »
Mine is embarassingly low. To be honest, I'm just amazed that it's in double figures (albeit only just).

Onwards and upwardsonwards...

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 30 July, 2012, 06:25:25 pm »
Must be 102 now. Onwards and upwards.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #30 on: 19 September, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »
Just checked mine from my MCL records and its 48 (imperial) and 57 (metric)

I need five, 50 milers to reach 50 (imperial)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 20 September, 2012, 07:02:42 pm »

I have cycled more than 80 miles on 80 occasions (over 100 miles on 69 occasions...they do start to add up don't they?)

It would be more like 90 if I divided my longer Audax rides into separate days.

Oh dear...E=100, another challenge on top of 1mph average I need to chase.
That means another 31 x 100 mile rides. 3xRRTY I suppose.

John Spooner has ridden most of the very long Audaxes many times, his E must be high.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #32 on: 09 October, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »
My ride on Sunday increased my Eddington number to 69.

What a position to be in!

I have 6 recorded rides of 69.nn miles, so I doubt that I will be shifting it again in 2012.

AAO

« Reply #33 on: 14 October, 2012, 12:30:25 am »
My EN is 44.

« Reply #34 on: 14 October, 2012, 12:54:20 am »
Mine is currently 63  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2012, 08:11:13 pm »
I'm not sure and I can't seem to get the Polar site to spit out it's info in a useful fashion. Did manage to export to xml at one point but it seemed to have a number of duplicates of certain rides.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #36 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »
It has occurred to me that my age is rapidly approaching my Eddington number. As of next week, the difference will be 12.

What is better - to be able to increase your Eddington Number when your age exceeds it, or to push it into 3 figures so that you never need to worry about it?

Actually, I think I'd like to keep my Eddington Number in excess of my age by 12 years. That's quite a complicated aim, as if I decide in my 59th year to do enough >71-mile rides to knock out all of those between my provable Eddington number (67) and what I believe it to be (70), I'll have to ride that distance 17 times. The following year, to get it up to 72, I'll have to ride >72 miles 18 times. I suppose what I need to do is ensure that, during the next 12 months, I ride 17 days in excess of 71 miles, but each one incrementing by one mile, to invest make an investment for future years.

If I decided to ride (say) 10 100-mile days, although that would push my E-number much higher much sooner*, that would take away the incentive, as I get older, to keep the rides ticking over. It would be a great achievement to push my E-number into 3 figures when I'm approaching 88!

*Not strictly accurate as, of course, it's not as simple as that. However, I've got 82 100-mile rides to do to get my E-number into 3 figures. I suppose I'd better get on with it.

Thinks... shall I start a new thread?
Hands up all those whose Eddington number (miles - as defined in the original version) is greater than their age ?
Mine doesn't yet, but it will if I complete my RRTY....

As for the numbers up above 120... and therefore likely to include some 400km rides, how do you log your miles if the ride goes past midnight?

Made it !

« Reply #37 on: 19 December, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »
I only have a record for this year, so for 2012 my Eddington number is 54. I can get that up to 55 though before the year's out.

I plan to increase it significantly next year  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #38 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:53:46 pm »
I think my Eddington Number might be slightly higher than I thought. It's the number of miles ridden in a 24-hour period, as I understand it.

I have found a few days which seem to have slipped through the net because I've gone out on one bike and ridden 60+ miles and then later gone out on the tandem and ridden another 10 or more. Different rides, same day, total over 70 miles. I shall spend a bit of time sorting that out I think.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #39 on: 29 December, 2012, 10:43:33 am »
I think my Eddington Number might be slightly higher than I thought. It's the number of miles ridden in a 24-hour period, as I understand it.

I have found a few days which seem to have slipped through the net because I've gone out on one bike and ridden 60+ miles and then later gone out on the tandem and ridden another 10 or more. Different rides, same day, total over 70 miles. I shall spend a bit of time sorting that out I think.

Like all good numbers it invites some debate over definitions. I've worked on the view that events like Paris-Brest-Paris are single rides, even if they take multiple days, because the event is based on a single time limit.  This would be different from, lets say (as I haven't done it) Lands End to John O'Groats which I would do as a series of daily rides.  Where I've been out on a club run and then, as an afterthought, gone out with my sons for a leisure ride I've seen this as two rides, whereas a daily commute I see as one. 

If I used the definition in the quote above then my Eddington number would go up as Audax events such as LEL, PBP and the Mille Miglia would become 3 100+ mile rides or even 4, and quite a few of the 600km events I have done would have had 100+ miles in two consecutive 24 hour periods.  It would be difficult to do the calculations as I only record the total distance for the event not the point at which I got to after 24 hours.  A guess would be that it would move from 101 to about 110.

However, will stick with the way I've calculated and appreciate the beauty of its mathematical uncertainty.  I hope that Arthur Eddington would approve.  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 29 December, 2012, 06:23:20 pm »
Just run Butterfly's numbers (as a by-product of doing something else):

Eddington Number: 41
Eddington Number (2012): 34
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 29 December, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »
Like all good numbers it invites some debate over definitions. I've worked on the view that events like Paris-Brest-Paris are single rides, even if they take multiple days, because the event is based on a single time limit.  This would be different from, lets say (as I haven't done it) Lands End to John O'Groats which I would do as a series of daily rides.  Where I've been out on a club run and then, as an afterthought, gone out with my sons for a leisure ride I've seen this as two rides, whereas a daily commute I see as one. 

If I used the definition in the quote above then my Eddington number would go up as Audax events such as LEL, PBP and the Mille Miglia would become 3 100+ mile rides or even 4, and quite a few of the 600km events I have done would have had 100+ miles in two consecutive 24 hour periods.  It would be difficult to do the calculations as I only record the total distance for the event not the point at which I got to after 24 hours.  A guess would be that it would move from 101 to about 110.

However, will stick with the way I've calculated and appreciate the beauty of its mathematical uncertainty.  I hope that Arthur Eddington would approve.  ;D

My personal view on this sort of thing is that it comes down to double-counting. If I want to brag about "a 1200km ride", I can't then also bump up my 100km count by 12. I couldn't live with myself <wrings hands>.
(A bit like how I can't claim a 700km audax if I just happen to ride 700 in a weekend, having entered/declared a much shorter ride. Of course, I can still drop the fact into random interweb threads ... )

I'm sure there are grey areas I haven't considered/met yet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 29 December, 2012, 06:40:11 pm »
Me:

Eddington Number: 43
Eddington Number (2012): 36

Overall figures (as for Butterfly) are for 1/1/2011 onwards

Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #43 on: 29 December, 2012, 07:59:45 pm »
Just checked mine from my MCL records and its 48 (imperial) and 57 (metric)

I need five, 50 milers to reach 50 (imperial)

Currently 50 (imperial) and 61 (metric) :)

(all data since I started logging in July 2010)

« Reply #44 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:00:55 pm »
Like all good numbers it invites some debate over definitions. I've worked on the view that events like Paris-Brest-Paris are single rides, even if they take multiple days,

The definition commonly attributed to Eddington is quite clear (and different to your interpretation) - "the number of days a cyclist has cycled more than E miles"

Indeed it includes no reference to "single rides" so for a ride to work in the morning and a ride home in the evening would be combined into the total for that day.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #45 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:05:59 pm »
Agreed, Saturn. I think that the only question remains over the definition of a day.

I consider the Dun Run, which is a ride done without a sleep break, to be within a 24 hour period and therefore allowable for Eddington Number purposes, even though it starts on a Saturday and finishes on a Sunday.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #46 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:16:01 pm »
I just go for single ride lengths. It's rare that I will post two rides in the same day and if I do then they are usually too short to worry about.

This approach is taken for the simple reason that it makes calculating the result easier in excel, rather than any sense of it being more right than any other method

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #47 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »
My number would be a lot higher if I were to count a day's commutes as one ride within 24 hours, but that's too fiddly, so I just live with the number I have :)
Getting there...

« Reply #48 on: 29 December, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »
I reckon Eddington would be OK with Wowbaggers 24 hour days but other measures surely deserve a term of their own because they can't really be called Eddington numbers if folks find it more convenient to make up their own definition  ::-)

« Reply #49 on: 29 December, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »
Well I take commutes as being two rides as that's how they've gone into my bike computer and thence onto the Polar website.

After a bunch of shenanigans getting the data out of Polar in a useable format I believe my Eddington number to be 32. That is if every ride over 32 miles counts towards the n for 32. If only rides between 32 and 33 miles count then my Eddington number is far lower.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1