Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?  (Read 46573 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?
« on: 01 June, 2015, 04:48:34 pm »
I've just noticed a system tray icon offering me (and everyone with a qualifying version of Win7 or above) a free upgrade to Windows 10, if I want it.

On the whole, I'm actually pretty happy with Windows 7. I can't see any killer features which are making me want to upgrade, but is there anything which might swing it for me?

Re: Windows 10 upgrade - yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »
Its not released yet. July 28th is the release date.
I would wait a few months after that to see if there are any issues that might affect you.
The offer for all Win 7 and Win 8.x users for a year after July 28th.

It will probably be worth the upgrade as MS will stop patching Windows 7.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:30:52 pm »
You will have a year to upgrade, and 7 will be patched for a good few years yet.

It is looking better, but I will probably wait at least until SP1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »
Not for me.  I'm using the enterprise edition of W7 with the XP emulator so that I can develop & run legacy stuff from around Y2K, written in VB6. Chances are that'll all go down the tubes with W10.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2015, 06:02:06 pm »
My understanding is that once it's available you can download it and then install it at your leisure, thereby letting Other People do the testing for you.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
Since it's free, I'm going to give it a go ASAP.  I can always roll back to W7 very easily if I don't like it.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2015, 07:47:52 pm »
Ditto, there is an air of inevitability about it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:51:47 pm »
I'll be waiting and letting others do the testing. Also, I want to know whether it's an improvement, or another horrible interface. I'm using Classic Shell to get back a decent interface on W7, and Classic Menu to make things findable in the Office menus. And as for Windows 8 at work, I've managed to hide that with a few folder tricks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:42:14 pm »
They're bringing back the Start menu for W10 - a good start!  Otherwise the interface looks like a mash up of W7 and W8.  It's any improvements under the bonnet that I'm most interested in.

« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:54:31 pm »
As a very happy Win 7 user I will monitor the situation carefully.   The positive is extending the support window, the negative ... 

Afasoas

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:27:56 am »
Not for me.  I'm using the enterprise edition of W7 with the XP emulator so that I can develop & run legacy stuff from around Y2K, written in VB6. Chances are that'll all go down the tubes with W10.

Sounds like it's time to get that ported!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
I have registered my interest from both eligible Babbage-Engines but will let Biggsy find the heffalump traps on my behalf ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
I've done the same, although I made sure I could easily find my 7 installer disc before I did. Just in case I change my mind.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »
I've got a couple of non-essential laptops running Win8.1 which I'll quite happily upgrade to Win10. If my experience with those is OK, I'll update my Parallels Win7 installation on my iMac and the 8.1 Bootcamp partitions on the iMac and MBA. If it doesn't cut it (can it be worse than Win8?), then I'll leave the Macs alone.

« Reply #14 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:08:10 pm »
I have registered my interest from both eligible Babbage-Engines but will let Biggsy find the heffalump traps on my behalf ;)

I've done the same, although I made sure I could easily find my 7 installer disc before I did. Just in case I change my mind.

As above.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »
Boo Hoo I haven't got one

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:14:51 pm »
If it's anything like the Mac OS upgrades (it may not be - I start to lose touch with MS Windows as it's pointless me having a PC having a boss that's a Mac fanboy) it's rather futile to not upgrade in my experience.  Very soon after it comes out, many pieces of software rapidly become incompatible with the old operating systems.

Which is a shame as MacOSX Yosemite is absolutely abysmal imo. ::-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #17 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
If it's anything like the Mac OS upgrades (it may not be - I start to lose touch with MS Windows as it's pointless me having a PC having a boss that's a Mac fanboy) it's rather futile to not upgrade in my experience.  Very soon after it comes out, many pieces of software rapidly become incompatible with the old operating systems.

Tends not to happen so much with Windows for two reasons. MS spent a LOT of effort keeping backwards compatibility in each version of Windows (which is a double edge sword as that also a problem in that there is loads of old code in there). Secondly Windows users are much more conservative than Apple users, they tend to keep their PCs and OS a lot longer and software developers know that, corporate users (and Windows rules in the corporate world) are even more averse to change. The shiney doesn't matter in the corporate world.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

caerau

« Reply #18 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:33:21 pm »
A much better situation  :thumbsup:

The trouble I find is that much of the software I need to use these days is now downloaded and self-upgrades surprisingly often - to the point where it's annoying, barely a day goes by when there isn't something that wants to update itself.  ::-)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 02 June, 2015, 03:40:25 pm »
Boo Hoo I haven't got one

...Doesn't get you off the hook. :)  All you need is to make an image backup of your current system, or use an extra partition or even a new disk for W10, then you can return to W7 practically instantly.

« Reply #20 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:37:40 pm »
A much better situation  :thumbsup:

The trouble I find is that much of the software I need to use these days is now downloaded and self-upgrades surprisingly often - to the point where it's annoying, barely a day goes by when there isn't something that wants to update itself.  ::-)

....and that SOMETHING is always Adobe flash

caerau

« Reply #21 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:00:58 pm »
Certainly one of the worst culprits but not the only one.

I do have Adobe creative cloud, as a unit, it's by far the biggest offender all round.  Especially as I have no idea what 90% of the bundled software does  ;D

« Reply #22 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »
Certainly one of the worst culprits but not the only one.

I do have Adobe creative cloud, as a unit, it's by far the biggest offender all round.  Especially as I have no idea what 90% of the bundled software does  ;D

I cheat and have CC itself switched off, haven't had any problems using photoshop or other applications as a result.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »
Am running the evaluation version on an old laptop dual core with 3gb ram.

Has a few issues, such as the wireless being off during a restart.  Also had to reinstall once due an update messing up the wireless card so no internet.

If it is a nicer than 8.1 and have a windows phone so will see what the update to 10 is like.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24 on: 03 June, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
We're having to warn DSA students not to do this yet if they have 'assistive software' as we don't know if it will work yet and you can't roll back the Win 10 upgrade, only reinstall original OS from scratch... I'd give it at least 3 months for others to bugblat it...