Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 105545 times)

cometworm

Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #225 on: 08 August, 2010, 02:45:36 pm »
So it turns out that Mutton Rolls from a Sri Lankan takeaway in Tooting are not the ideal pre-race evening fuel, and will in fact contribute to stomach cramps on the run. As will the porridge that's sitting there digesting from the morning.

Next year, no big starchy morning meal, and no spicy food the night before! This year I was hoping for (sub) 2:30 but ended up with 2:46. I part due to the stomach issues, but mostly from not running enough.

« Reply #226 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:35:26 pm »
I had a shocking run too, but everything else seemed to go OK.  Very similar time to yours I think, not sure exactly.  I cant even blame the mutton.

cometworm

« Reply #227 on: 08 August, 2010, 07:11:05 pm »
There's a rumour on TriTalk that the run was a bit long (10.8 km) but this may be clutching at straws... looking forward to seeing the results. Any idea when they're up?

JJ

« Reply #228 on: 08 August, 2010, 11:44:29 pm »
Times are intermittently available now.  There's quite a lot of "Service Unavailable" which seems like overload probably.

Mrs J did well.  Posted 5th in her age group, and probably 20-somethingth woman overall, bar the elites.  I'm certain the run was long, looking at the times.  Everyone with her did about 7 minutes slower than you'd expect.  I'm also certain that you can't really compare between waves.  The courses were different, the routes through transition were different (I think) and the conditions were different.

Well done Mike and Cometworm. You should get an extra medal just for showing up at that bloody silly hour.

I got given Mrs J's bike, my brooks ,carradice and GPS and told to ride home.  Felt pretty silly hooning around Herts and Essex with a saddlebag and lights on a carbon bike with tri bars and disc wheel covers ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #229 on: 11 August, 2010, 11:26:47 pm »
This excellent thread has inspired me. I'm seriously thinking of joining you nutters who do triathlons.

I've always loved cycling and swimming, but it's the running part that puts me off. But my son is keen to take up running in a serious way so I've been out with him a few times over the last week or so. Although it's been hard going, I've surprised myself by actually enjoying it. We've just been doing a 2.5-mile trail round the local woods, but I reckon that's a good starting point. We'll stick to that until we can manage it relatively comfortably before attempting anything tougher.

I also went for a proper swim last week for the first time in absolutely ages. I used to be a member of a swimming club, many years ago, so my basic technique is OK and I'm quite happy to just bash out the lengths. I did 50 brisk lengths last week and felt totally shattered at the end of it - but in a good way. Felt wonderful, tbh. I've now discovered that the local pool opens earlier than I thought during the week, so as long as I get up early enough, a pre-work swim is a realistic option.  :thumbsup:

So, I could go for a swim a couple of times a week instead of my morning bike ride. Only down side of that is that it'll affect my position in the bikejournal league table.  ;D

Not sure if I should aim for a triathlon in 2011, since I'm hoping to do PBP, but I reckon aiming to do one in 2012 should give me plenty of time to train up for it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #230 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:03:26 pm »
sod that, do a sprint this year!  If you chose carefully you can get an indoor swim (no need to buy a wetsuit) and a 5k run!  g'wan.... 

short clip of london swim here to inspire: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_2BxyPGbPHY&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/_2BxyPGbPHY&rel=1</a>

citoyen

« Reply #231 on: 13 August, 2010, 01:08:44 am »
A 5k run sounds a bit too far at the moment! Well, I could probably manage it, but it would hurt too much and I'd be very slow indeed. It is tempting though...

d.

JJ

« Reply #232 on: 13 August, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »
David,
I'm not the triathlete, (nor the triathlete's son but I don't mind pontificating when there's ponting to be done).
However, from what I've seen of Helen picking it up and getting going, I'd say definitely do a pool-based sprint asap.  There'll be plenty of people there who'll struggle more than you with the run, and it avoids the putting it off till eternity syndrome.

The running will come to you easy enough if you build up slowly to avoid injuries.

Also, with your audax history, you can afford to do the qualifiers for PBP and spend the rest of your time training for triathlons next year.  You won't have any significant problems with the ride beyond what you'd expect anyway.

IMO and FWIW, from a camp-follower.

citoyen

« Reply #233 on: 13 August, 2010, 07:21:39 pm »
avoids the putting it off till eternity syndrome.

But I'm a devout worshipper at the Church of Procrastination!

Hmm. Maybe I should just have a little look to see if there are any sprint events going on near me... just out of idle curiosity, you understand...

d.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #234 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »
Pool sprints are fun.  Easy to pick up, and lots of newbies usually so don't worry, you won't be last!   ;D

One week for Bristol Docks for me.  Getting the FEAR already.  Yay motivational dread! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

« Reply #235 on: 17 August, 2010, 10:52:31 am »
Out of interest, what kind of time should I be aiming for in the swim section of a Sprint? I suppose it depends whether it's 400m or 750m, of course...

I'm trying to mix up my exercise regime so I went to the pool this morning and did 40 lengths (1km) in about 25 minutes. Is that respectable?

And what about the run? What kind of time should I be aiming for on a 5km run?

After the swim this morning, I had a bit of unplanned transition training, since I was by then running late for my train and had to change back into my cycling gear pretty sharpish. Lucky the station is only half a mile away, but crikey, I never realised how hard it is to put on Lycra clothing in a hurry when your body is still a bit damp...

I might try some proper transition training by going for swim followed by a proper ride one of these mornings.

d.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #236 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
Smudge, I did a sprint last year and swim times for 414m (odd distance as it was a 23m pool) were coming in at anything up to 20 minutes.  I think I did about 11 minutes and I was the first out of my wave (I was in the numpty wave).  There were loads of people doing it much faster but also a satisfactory number of people doing it much slower.  :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #237 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:22:12 am »
If you're doing 1km in 25 minutes you're respectable; that's likely to put you in the lower 30th percentile - not off the back, but in the middle of the back of the pack.

>And what about the run? What kind of time should I be aiming for on a 5km run?

Hell, I score 35 minutes for these.  It's a behemoth thing. 

Generally, add 10% to your solo event time to guess your triathlon time. 

> crikey, I never realised how hard it is to put on Lycra clothing in a hurry when your body is still a bit damp...

Hence the tri suit! 

Go on, get stuck in.  Aug/sep is prime tri time.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

« Reply #238 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:33:01 am »
There were loads of people doing it much faster but also a satisfactory number of people doing it much slower:)

That's what I like to hear. :)

lower 30th percentile - not off the back, but in the middle of the back of the pack.

Hmm, I'd like to be closer to the middle of the middle of the pack, but that sounds acceptable.

Hell, I score 35 minutes for these.  It's a behemoth thing. 

That sounds quite respectable to me. The 1.75 mile loop I've been doing takes me about 15 minutes. Double the distance would probably take a bit more than double the time, so I doubt Id be any faster than you.

I'm feeling quite optimistic that I would actually survive a Sprint tri, though, which is a good start. Tbh, I didn't realise the distances for a Sprint were so short - it is aptly named. Now to find an event to enter...

And maybe buy a tri suit...

d.

citoyen

« Reply #239 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:37:45 am »
Oh yeah, and another thing... I have no intention of buying a tri-specific bike, but is it worth getting tri bars for my road bike?

d.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #240 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:56:46 am »
Not for a sprint distance, no.  You don't have time to get down on the tri bars before it's finished!  Riding on the drops will get you a sufficiently aero position. 

citoyen

« Reply #241 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:03:16 pm »
Cool.  :thumbsup:

Tri bars are beyond my budget at the moment anyway. So is a tri suit, for that matter.  :-\

d.

« Reply #242 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:04:18 pm »
have you got a cycling jersey with a full length zip?   Easier to put on than an over-the-head job.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #243 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:06:59 pm »
What, no superhero suit?  Not even one in the sale?

Or a Wiggle cheapie?

:demon:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #244 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:07:16 pm »
Preferences time!  I love my tribars and get on them pronto.  The only time I ever do serious time on them is during races...  they're worth it on flat courses, especially windy ones.  Useless on hilly, twisty stuff.  

Definitely not essential, but I verylike them.

citoyen

« Reply #245 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:11:15 pm »
What, no superhero suit?  Not even one in the sale?

Or a Wiggle cheapie?

:demon:

Oh, that's good. Thanks for the links! I had the idea that they were much more expensive than that (having my head turned by Speedo LZR stuff...). I had been planning to buy another pair of bibshorts, but I might just spend the money on a trisuit instead.  :thumbsup:

d.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #246 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:29:36 pm »
Orca stuff tends to be cut long 'n' lean compared to the average.  Mind you, so do most triathletes...

citoyen

« Reply #247 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:40:02 pm »
OK, next question...

I found an event that I like the look of (tbh, it was the picture on their website that sold it to me) but... it costs £50 to enter?  :o

Is that the going rate? Crikey. Makes sportives look cheap.

Another I have my eye on is the Sevenoaks event, though the September edition is full, and the next edition is April 2011. Still, that would give me plenty of time to get in some decent training. It would also give me time to save up for the entry fee (no info on prices on their website though).

d.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #248 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »
Yeah, tri races are spendy.  Only the real keanos do a lot of 'em though! 

£30 - £50 for a sprint (less for a little club sprint, maybe)

£50-75 for an Olympic (more for a premium event)

Don't even ask about the long course stuff.

The spend comes from the fact that when you mash up three sports, you mash up three courses.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #249 on: 17 August, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »
Ah yes.  It's not audax prices.  ;D

(I think £50 is steep though; Roade was about £30.  And they do give you a goodie bag.)