Author Topic: Travelling during train strikes.  (Read 857 times)

Travelling during train strikes.
« on: 14 July, 2023, 10:05:59 am »
I have train tickets travelling to London from Nottingham on the 20th of this month, and from London to Newark north gate on the 22nd.

Since buying these tickets, both days have been announced as strike days.  ::-)

Both operators are claiming 1 train an hour will run. Has anyone any experience actually travelling these routes during strike periods? I’d sooner use the train if I can, even if it is crowded and/or delayed. My alternative would be to claim a refund and book a coach at now inflated prices, and twice the journey time.
Don't ask.

Re: Travelling during train strikes.
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2023, 10:24:54 am »
People tend to overreact to news of a strike and cancel their plans, so IME trains can be quieter.

Might be different on long distance routes.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2023, 10:33:38 am »
Different route, but the hourly service from Swindon to London was heavily underused when I travelled during a strike.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2023, 01:25:17 pm »
People tend to overreact to news of a strike and cancel their plans, so IME trains can be quieter.
Might not be that, depends who's running the reduced service, some of us won't cross a picket line.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2023, 01:34:06 pm »
The trainco’s strike timetable will be published by now so it will be possible to make an informed decision about whether or not travel is feasible.

There are many reasons why most people don’t travel on strike days. There will be no trains at all on my bit of the line so I don’t have a choice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2023, 01:35:14 pm »
NB even if the strike is called off before next week, they will very probably stick to the strike timetable.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2023, 01:43:07 pm »
[smugness]Like the last time I went to see a test match at the Oval, I have a Swansea to Paddington return coach ticket to allay possible train strike concerns [/smugness]. What I can't do is choose to live under a different constitution to allay test match play cancellation concern following the death of the monarch. Which happened last time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2023, 04:21:28 pm »
I travelled between London & Christchurch, Dorset during the industrial action last Festive Season.
The hourly trains run reliably, though are crowded..
I had wheelchair and toilet issues, though this wouldn't apply to other passengers.
Use the trains. There will be an emergency timetable. Service tends to be slow and you may need to change trains more than usual.
It's uncomfortable but feasible.