Author Topic: Side hinged garage doors  (Read 2025 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Side hinged garage doors
« on: 21 May, 2023, 03:42:13 pm »
Anyone got and have a good brand to recommend?

I would have happily gone for for a twin door set by Latham's, but the pedestrian door was heavy enough and my joiner didn't seem keen.
From what I can see on the net Carteck (Teckentrup), Horrman and Ryterna seem well regarded but I have no clue as to relative price. Really my only stipulation is that they be relatively secure (which probably any of them will be compared to the crappy electric up and over door we have now).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Side hinged garage doors
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2023, 05:48:30 pm »
Recently went for Teckentrup, also to replace the upandover(manual).  Can't recall price but not cheap. We are very happy with the product which was made to measure (in Germany) and seems very secure.  Less hassle than electric roller doors and very solid. Our installer was competent but probably not the best communicator (local to Yorkshire only).
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2023, 07:55:15 pm »
We replaced an upandover with a pair of side hinged doors made by Ryterna (I think the factory is in Lithuania?) - supplied & fitted by the aptly-named Garage Door Centre in Northampton (I'm sure there'd be a dealer in the frozen wastes up there) - there's a catalogue to download on their website

They're made from aluminium on a steel frame, fully insulated and have rubber draught seals, heavy duty security fittings etc.  We did look at quite a few options, including some of the brands mentioned up-thread, but thought these were best product/value/appearance.  We have black doors with small glazed panels.

[Fence has now been finished and painted!]

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2023, 09:13:22 pm »
I can recommend the Hormann. I recently had a new electric sectional Hormann door fitted, the quality is great, a really solid piece of kit. For a double garage, it cost me 3K fitted (which only took half a day). I'd expect a couple of side-hinged doors to be cheaper than that, it will depend on where you live of course - only way to know is to call up a few local tradesmen and get quotes.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2023, 10:52:25 am »
Had a local company round this morning. He was going to quote me for a Garador but when I found out it was a single skin job you could open with a tin opener I told him not to bother. So his other offering was a double skin insulated Hormann which was £3200 (for white, colour extra) and doesn't even come with multipoint locking.

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2023, 12:32:42 pm »
Seems pricey. I don't know where you live, but FWIW these are the people who did mine: https://www.chatsworthgaragedoors.co.uk/garage-doors/side-hung-garage-doors/
They're in Sheffield.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:10:45 pm »
Yours are a completely different type of door so I wouldn't expect them to be comparable. I assume sectional doors are not 40mm thick for starters.

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:33:11 pm »
Actually they are. But no problem, I'll leave you to it.

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2023, 02:11:02 pm »
My next door neighbour has recently had side hinge doors fitted. I don't know what the brand was, but they quoted me around £4k for a similar door. We also had a quote from a different company as part of other work on the house, and they were even more.

We're probably going to go for an insulated roller door at about 2 grand (once some of the other stuff has been done), so I will be digging around properly at that point.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2023, 05:07:25 pm »
Don't they blow around in the wind?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2023, 05:49:08 pm »
You get stays to keep them open if needed, RZ.

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2023, 09:33:32 am »
The Teckentrup has spring-loaded stays that work nicely.  It has a good 40mm insulation and is sealed round the edges.

I prefer side-openers to electric roller because I can easily open the door to get the bike in and out without waiting for an electric motor to open the whole lot.  More expensive maybe, but in the long run it's not much more.  And of course they are not Chinese ;)

Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2023, 05:18:51 pm »
I was fancying the one that comes with hinge bolts but I have a feeling that might be the super deluxe secure model.  Anyway I found a bloke that does local fitting for doors from Arridges so going to get a quote for a Teckentrup with multipoint locking from him.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2023, 06:58:16 pm »
£3600 for a Teckentrup/Carteck side hinged, that's with extra cost for a coloured door and 3 point locking.
Unfortunately for me Teckentrup say their security keys can only be cut by them so that's another £30 a pop for extra spare keys, the robbing gits.

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 30 May, 2023, 08:39:02 pm »
£3600 for a Teckentrup/Carteck side hinged, that's with extra cost for a coloured door and 3 point locking.
Unfortunately for me Teckentrup say their security keys can only be cut by them so that's another £30 a pop for extra spare keys, the robbing gits.

Seems reasonable - our doors were just over £3,000 3 years ago.   

I'd suggest that if they want the order they supply, say, 3 extra keys . . . it's called negotiating!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:02:05 pm »
The pictures look like a standard euro cylinder. I'd rather spend the dough on a key matched set of cylinders for house and garage.
Do you really need the garage lock to be more secure than the house locks?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:15:49 pm »
I was wondering if I could just put in a bog standard Euro cylinder.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2023, 06:28:48 pm »
Door fitting day. Before:
PXL_20230717_155042658 by The Pingus, on Flickr

After (Teckentrup/Carteck):
PXL_20230718_135444133 by The Pingus, on Flickr

PXL_20230718_144537048 by The Pingus, on Flickr

The garage door fitter said he was very impressed, said it is much better quality than the last side hinged door he fitted which was a Garador. Just waiting for the extra 2 keys I asked for to materialize.
It even has a decent threshold so the wind (and leaves) don't whistle through it. And a lock and all that wasted space that we can now utilise (fill with tat), such luxury!

« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2023, 06:33:24 pm »
Looks good from here  :thumbsup:

ETA - Interesting hinge spacing.
I'm sure they've given it plenty of thought.

ETFA - Is all that is holding it in place are the two screwed L-brackets at the top, and the goo around the periphery?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2023, 06:44:50 pm »
No, there was plenty of drilling into the masonry involved.

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2023, 07:15:26 pm »
Looks like a proper job - very smart.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2023, 01:16:40 pm »
ETA - Interesting hinge spacing.
I'm sure they've given it plenty of thought.

Ah, I looked this up a few years back when contemplating fire doors:  The two hinges near the top thing is to resist the twisting force of a door closer.  I assume the gubbins on Mrs Pingu's doors is a holdy-open mechanism of some sort, but the forces at the hinge would presumably be similar.