Author Topic: Painting a frame with Hammerite any tips from experience?  (Read 4248 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Painting a frame with Hammerite any tips from experience?
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2023, 05:21:04 pm »
Oh well late to this.

My old fixie, Stella, I used paint remover, then quick sand down and a thin layer of clear lacquer. Within a year rust was showing below and the lacquer cracked. Removed the lacquer and sprayed Hanmerite on.

That was in 2007 and in 2019 I donated the frame to John of the here forum. Only the places where paint had been damaged, like in the eyelets, were there a bit of rust to be seen. Else it looked good, that is if you like that grey metallic colour of Hanmerite
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: Painting a frame with Hammerite any tips from experience?
« Reply #26 on: 28 November, 2023, 10:54:54 am »
Thanks very much again! Will check out the other forum.

Am thinking now to try doing a touch up repair job rather than a full paint job after reading peoples accounts and suggestions. So colours would be silver and blue, also wondering about having a go at lug lining over the existing paint work.

Thanks again

Did you have a go at lug lining?

My experience with doing it is limited (I have done it only once), but taking your time and not being afraid to wipe off and start again on anything that doesn't fit with your expectations will lead to a job you are proud of. Once it is done, you need to give the whole thing a coat of clear lacquer (I used acrylic spray), so test how the acrylic likes the paint on your frame in an out of sight patch first, before starting the lug lining job.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"