Author Topic: Garneau Gone?  (Read 932 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Garneau Gone?
« on: 26 November, 2023, 04:24:18 pm »
Evans used to sell Garneau stuff in the UK, but seem no longer to do so.  I have noticed that my winter boots are on the way out and would be happy replacing with whatever the current model is, but seem unable to find them anywhere with a curory search.

Anyone know who now sells Garneau kit in the UK?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Garneau Gone?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2023, 07:48:13 pm »
I suspect no-one.  Their website only shows bike shops in Canada and a couple in the USA.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2023, 07:21:02 am »
I thought it looked that way, any other recommendations for winter boots?

I hear Northwave have good recommendations, bu not sure about any others

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2023, 12:58:23 pm »
I've got a pair of Northwave Celsius 2 GTX boots which I've had for a few years and been very pleased with them.  Everyone else in my CTC group seems to use overshoes*, and then they moan about getting cold, wet feet after cycling along the flooded roads, whilst I'm dry & toasty.

* I suspect this is because I'm the youngest, being only 60, and everyone else is wedded to the ways they've always done things!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2023, 01:28:43 pm »
I've got some Fizik Terra Clima X2, winter boots that are billed as three season.  I'm very impressed by them so far and would certainly check out their full winter boots.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2023, 01:49:33 pm »
I've got some Fizik Terra Clima X2, winter boots but are billed as three season.  I'm very impressed by them so far and would certainly check out their full winter boots.

They look interesting. Please may one ask some questions? How do they come up size wise - say with thicker winter socks? Wide, narrow or regular? Easy to get on and off?

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2023, 02:42:32 pm »
Same Q on the Northwave - I went 2 euro sizes up on the Garneau, and have a pair of Northwave summer shoes in my size which I find too narrow

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7 on: 27 November, 2023, 06:25:17 pm »
I ordered a pair of these Shimano MW501 DRYSHIELD Winter MTB Cycling Shoes in a 43 (normal shoe size being UK 8/42 - but have old style Shimano brown SPD boots and their other shoes which fit great by going up one size)

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk//shimano-mw501-dryshield-winter-mtb-cycling-shoes-p12812/s25500

But sadly returned as too narrow for my broad?? feet even with thin summer socks, whilst also being too long. Like looking down at oil tankers on me feet! The good thing was they were easy to get into with at least two if not three velcro cuffs.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2023, 09:20:13 pm »
Same Q on the Northwave - I went 2 euro sizes up on the Garneau, and have a pair of Northwave summer shoes in my size which I find too narrow
Yes, probably best to go up a size for the boots.  I got the same size as my Shimano road shoes, and the Northwave boots are OK with my usual cycling socks, but I have  a vague feeling of wanting a little bit more space. I wouldn't be able to wear thicker socks but fortunately haven't needed to as the boots seem very well insulated.