Author Topic: Workshop adjustable height stools with wheels  (Read 415 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Workshop adjustable height stools with wheels
« on: 04 December, 2023, 05:17:53 pm »
As I'm now well retired, lazy, sadly getting podgy, with a bad back and I only fettle my bikes indoors on a truly wonderful one off commissioned Victorian Chinoiserie carpet with an obscenely high silk content, which is ideal for rolling about on a stool with wheels (none of that poncey modern underlay has been used you see).

The last cycle workshop I was part of had a Park Tools circular adjustable thing. It lived in a corner unused cos we were macho stander uppers and the bike stands were too high for such comforts.

But I now I'm real jonesin' for something similar, partly as it's a real pain trying to lift an e-bike onto a standing height stand, when fettling sitting down is perfectly do-able with the bike only ~2ft off the ground. But I don't want to pay Park Tool money and the colour scheme would look awful in the living room, which is all subdued browns (lots of antique wood and dark maroon velvet curtains and chaise longues).

A sift search engine then brings up all sorts of stuff :o

https://www.manomano.co.uk/workshop-chairs-and-stools-2621?sort=price.asc&ls_filter=false

Do 'the panel' have any experience or suggestions?

(I suppose I could get a stool seat cover re-upholstered to fit in better🤔)

Re: Workshop adjustable height stools with wheels
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2023, 05:44:50 pm »
Does 'the panel' have any experience or suggestions?

Have you sat on a stool like this for any amount of time, eg. as long as it would take to leisurely service a bike or build a wheel? The Park Tools stool is like a drummer's stool with wheels. My drummers' stools are all pretty uncomfortable to sit on for an extended time. The ideal solution for me is a height-adjustable office chair.

Just be sure before you buy then wrong thing, that's all. Do you want castors? Do you want a backrest? What seat size and shape is comfortable for you? Do you want it height adjustable?

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Workshop adjustable height stools with wheels
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2023, 07:16:45 pm »
Have you sat on a stool like this for any amount of time, eg. as long as it would take to leisurely service a bike or build a wheel?

I built a lot of wheels sitting on a tall non castored Park Tool stool, as you might at a cocktail bar with one leg on the lower cross rail and the other on the floor, just in case. Usually only a pair at a time, so rarely longer than an hour and a half, unless they involved carbon rims, softy aluminium nipples and silly stretchy bladed spokes, when bad things and longer times could happen

Do you want castors? Do you want a backrest? What seat size and shape is comfortable for you? Do you want it height adjustable?

Castors and moveability an absolute must. My back's fucked, I don't sit right, so a backrest seems an irrelevance? Swift easily accomplished height adjustable also a must. Just measured my bum so thinking at least 10" in diameter + some more for good measure?

ps I always wanted to be a drummer first and foremost, but chose to be a bass guitarist - less to carry (1968 Hofner Violin before a Fender Precision that was so heavy after an hour I was on my knees and with lopsided shoulders). I was crap anyway, and would have been even worse as a drummer