Author Topic: Wheel suggestions . . .  (Read 572 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Wheel suggestions . . .
« on: 01 January, 2024, 12:00:18 pm »
Not a good start to the year when I was cleaning my Boardman ADV8.9e e-bike - machine was purchased in Feb 22 and covered 3,300km, all on road.

So - suggestions please for a replacement wheel - spec:  700c to take up to 35mm tyre, 11 speed hub, 6 bolt rotor, black rim (and preferably spokes) and 36 spokes, 12mm thru axle

And while I'm at I'll probably lash out on a front as well (possibly just 32 spokes) - same spec, thru axle.

The OEM wheels on this bike have offset rims, i.e. the spoke nipples aren't in the centre of the rim - that doesn't seem to be the best of engineering principles to me for a bike wheel (I have a couple of reports of early rim failure from a couple of other owners of this model bike.

Re: Wheel suggestions . . .
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2024, 12:29:12 pm »
If you have a hunt about you'll probably find a rear DT Swiss one for sale on offer somewhere. They are generally excellent. G1800 or something similar.

Or Mavic Allroads.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2024, 03:52:46 pm »
Have you spoken to the vendor? Might be worth seeing if they would replace it - though I appreciate that might not be the result you'd want.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2024, 04:04:46 pm »
Have you spoken to the vendor? Might be worth seeing if they would replace it - though I appreciate that might not be the result you'd want.

E-mailed them (Tredz where I bought the bike, aka Halfords) - bike is almost 2 years old so not holding my breath on a positive result.   As you say not what I really want as a direct replacement . . . we'll see.

Annoying thing is that I can't use my e-bike until it's sorted and will have to ride one of my regular machines, with additional effort!

« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2024, 07:02:11 pm »

E-mailed them (Tredz where I bought the bike, aka Halfords) - bike is almost 2 years old so not holding my breath on a positive result.   As you say not what I really want as a direct replacement . . . we'll see.
A replacement wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, the chances are the failure was a poor build rather than rubbish components.  I think you've just been unlucky, I know people who have racked up big mileages on those wheels.  If you don't get a replacement, how about looking for a rim with similar ERD, the hub and spokes might still be fine.  Or if you want a cheap replacement, my delivery E-bike has a £50 eBay wheel from Madspeed, it took me longer to true and tension it that it would have starting from scratch, 8,000 km later it's still fine.
Annoying thing is that I can't use my e-bike until it's sorted and will have to ride one of my regular machines, with additional effort!
Assuming it's 36 spokes, I'd use it with one missing.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2024, 07:19:04 pm »

A replacement wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, the chances are the failure was a poor build rather than rubbish components.  I think you've just been unlucky, I know people who have racked up big mileages on those wheels.  If you don't get a replacement, how about looking for a rim with similar ERD, the hub and spokes might still be fine.  Or if you want a cheap replacement, my delivery E-bike has a £50 eBay wheel from Madspeed, it took me longer to true and tension it that it would have starting from scratch, 8,000 km later it's still fine.
Assuming it's 36 spokes, I'd use it with one missing.

The wheel is 32 spokes in the rear - I did consider just taking out the one at the crack and riding but the chances of buckling the wheel seemed greater - especially with the offset design of the rim.   I have had a rim split and explode on me once mid-ride, fortunately the rear  - not fun.

I've spent some time looking closely at both wheels and the rim area surrounding another couple of spokes on the rear and one on the front look is if they may be failing - it looks like "minor eruptions, or corrosion" in the alloy around the nipples.

I'll be pursuing the bike's supplier pretty hard - and direct with Boardman's brand owner Halfords if necessary (the HO is only about 10 miles from here and I could tootle over and confront them !!)