Author Topic: Rain Jackets for Bikepacking/Touring - Current Thinking?  (Read 955 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Rain Jackets for Bikepacking/Touring - Current Thinking?
« on: 02 January, 2024, 08:21:03 am »
I am in the market for a new rain jacket for bikepacking (packs small)/touring duties (and day-to-day riding), but it needs to tick the touring box first and foremost.

7MESH's SkyPilot would be very nice, but at US$450 + postage, it is likely to stay on the wish list.

Ground Effect's Rivet looks interesting at AU$305. Apparently, it packs down small and has good specifications. There is no hood, which is a nice feature to have in my experience.

The alternative from Ground Effect is the Storm Trooper, which has the same specifications as the Rivet but is heavier at 340 grams versus 260 grams. It does have an under-helmet hood, but I haven't found any details on how small it packs down.

Are there any other suitable options, particularly with bikepacking in mind?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Rain Jackets for Bikepacking/Touring - Current Thinking?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2024, 10:25:15 am »

For long days riding, I value waterproofness, breathability, and comfort over pack size. I went with an endura MT500 jacket for summer use. (Paramo Velez jacket for winter). Does it pack down tiny? Nope. Is it waterproof and breathable enough to wear all day in lashing rain and keep me dry. Very much yes. It also has pig zips and other vents which makes life a lot easier.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2024, 10:55:59 am »
+1; and once packed down loosely you can mould it to fit round other stuff or strap it securely outside. I have one that packs down into a tiny pocket and turns into a rock - not a chance of strapping that outside, it'd bugger off sideways after 3½ bumps.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2024, 01:36:18 pm »
at US$450 + postage, it is likely to stay on the wish list.
I was going to say I'd restrict my search to items readily available in the UK rather than dealing with the expense and hassle of postage, customs and VAT of importing from USA, but you're presumably in Australia. Nevertheless, similar applies: we in the Northern Antipodes are liable to recommend you something not available where you are (without the expense and hassle of, etc).

Personally, I'd avoid a hood in favour of a cap, and I'd look for pockets; lack of them is the only fault in my Rohan Storm Rider (I think that's the name) jacket (which I'm not recommending to you even if the brand is available in Australia, cos they stopped making it several years ago).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2024, 01:57:00 pm »
Hoods are useful for dashing to the toilet block on campsites; caps are better for cycling in.  (Your hair may vary.)  I reckon a detachable or stowable-in-a-little-pocket hood is the best approach.

Aushiker

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2024, 01:40:09 am »

For long days riding, I value waterproofness, breathability, and comfort over pack size. I went with an endura MT500 jacket for summer use. (Paramo Velez jacket for winter). Does it pack down tiny? Nope. Is it waterproof and breathable enough to wear all day in lashing rain and keep me dry. Very much yes. It also has pig zips and other vents which makes life a lot easier.

J

I am glad to hear the Endura works for you, however for me packability is very important along with weather protection and there are jackets on the market that appear to meet that criteria. Furthermore I note that Endura do not provide waterproofness and breathability specifications. That is a red flag for me.

Aushiker

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2024, 01:43:55 am »
I was going to say I'd restrict my search to items readily available in the UK rather than dealing with the expense and hassle of postage, customs and VAT of importing from USA, but you're presumably in Australia. Nevertheless, similar applies: we in the Northern Antipodes are liable to recommend you something not available where you are (without the expense and hassle of, etc).

Personally, I'd avoid a hood in favour of a cap, and I'd look for pockets; lack of them is the only fault in my Rohan Storm Rider (I think that's the name) jacket (which I'm not recommending to you even if the brand is available in Australia, cos they stopped making it several years ago).

Actually, shipping from the UK is normally quite reasonable (well, more so when Wiggle and CRC were shipping internationally), whereas shipping from the US and Europe, to a lesser extent, is horrendous. Plus options locally are generally very limited. No niche brands for example, limited offerings from majors. I assume an outcome of a small market.

I use a cap now and will probably continue to do so.

I will have a look at Rohan's offerings. Thanks for the heads-up

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2024, 08:27:04 am »
am super impressed with my https://showerspass.co.uk waterproof, it's breathable enough to wear on fairly fast group rides, waterproof enough for the horizontal rain we've had this week and really nicely built. Mine's the 'elite' model, a friend has the spring classic and it's a bit lighter but has worse venting.  You can add a hood, I think.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2024, 09:15:03 am »

Actually, shipping from the UK is normally quite reasonable (well, more so when Wiggle and CRC were shipping internationally), whereas shipping from the US and Europe, to a lesser extent, is horrendous. Plus options locally are generally very limited. No niche brands for example, limited offerings from majors. I assume an outcome of a small market.

I use a cap now and will probably continue to do so.

I will have a look at Rohan's offerings. Thanks for the heads-up
Interesting about shipping.

The Rohan does pack into its own pocket, not super compactly but quite neatly, but they don't make anything cycle-specific nowadays.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2024, 12:17:10 pm »
I have a Gore shakedry that packs down to a tiny size and weighs not much.  It is very waterproof but not warm

I also have a (slightly old now) Paramo Ciclo Jacket.  It's apparently cycling specific because the hood is big enough to fit over a helmet(?!) and it has zipped side vents.  I don't think they make it anymore.  It is very waterproof

All of the Paramo stuff is breathable and genuinely water proof.  The water leaks out of your eyes when you see the price - 250 quid list for the Velez Light

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2024, 12:32:21 pm »
I have a Gore shakedry that packs down to a tiny size and weighs not much.  It is very waterproof but not warm

I also have a (slightly old now) Paramo Ciclo Jacket.  It's apparently cycling specific because the hood is big enough to fit over a helmet(?!) and it has zipped side vents.  I don't think they make it anymore.  It is very waterproof

All of the Paramo stuff is breathable and genuinely water proof.  The water leaks out of your eyes when you see the price - 250 quid list for the Velez Light

Paramo is one of those cases of Sam Vimes Economics. I used to buy a cheap waterproof every 1-2 years cos they would stop being waterproof within that time. But my paramo Quito lasted ten years. I hope this Velez does the same. It's heaper in the long run.

The downside is they are really warm, so no use in summer.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/