Author Topic: Long-gone bike shop?  (Read 2243 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Long-gone bike shop?
« on: 08 January, 2024, 12:10:10 pm »
There was a bike shop that advertised in the CTC mag years ago - simple one page ad with loads of text listings .... it was in Yorkshire or Lancashire .... any idea what it was called? - just to satisfy my curiosity (I recall buying stuff online and going there once)

Re: Long-gone bike shop?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:29:08 pm »
Settle cycles?

in the station yard.

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:40:49 pm »
Cigar (vurtual) en route!   That's the one - I knew it started with S

I wonder whatever happened to it.

Thanks

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:44:43 pm »
Cigar (vurtual) en route!   That's the one - I knew it started with S

I wonder whatever happened to it.

Thanks

It closed down about 15 years ago.  I think one of the people involved briefly traded under another name but has since given up.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2024, 01:18:18 pm »
There used to be one in Leeds, a couple of miles from Woodrups. Advertised mainly in the Comic.

Really good place for racing bike frames, parts and repairs. They shipped all over.

No idea of the name.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2024, 02:06:16 pm »
That's a name from the past, I bought a bit from them, found them very pleasant to deal with.  I don't think they made the transition to online, whether through lack of ability or inclination I don't know, they did have a go at eBay trading, under a different name, possibly they were too early at that.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2024, 02:11:31 pm »
That's a name from the past, I bought a bit from them, found them very pleasant to deal with.  I don't think they made the transition to online, whether through lack of ability or inclination I don't know, they did have a go at eBay trading, under a different name, possibly they were too early at that.

I think you're probably right in terms of transition - IIRC the owner did try and sell the business as a going concern.  My recollection is phoning up to order stuff.

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2024, 05:33:31 pm »
I bought a front and rear Mavic derailleurs from there, by mail order.

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2024, 08:43:16 pm »
I think that I bought my caradice panniers from them. I even stopped by to have a look when on tour once.

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2024, 09:07:55 am »
Anyone remember J.D.Whisker and their 2 shops, one on Kilburn and the other in Hertfordshire somewhere, as well as their ‘famous’ mail-order catalogue?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2024, 09:40:23 am »
Anyone remember J.D.Whisker and their 2 shops, one on Kilburn and the other in Hertfordshire somewhere, as well as their ‘famous’ mail-order catalogue?
Only ever dealt with by mail.  Back in the days when a letter "dear sirs as advertised in --- please send me".  The nice thing was that you could buy individual Campag brake stirrups.  As I remember, you did not pay until you had received the parts, which might be a month later as was usual in those days.

Another one was Reeds in Wimbledon.  They did mail order, but it was routine to pop in if I was passing on a ride from Portsmouth into or through London ---  early 1970s.

robgul

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2024, 10:28:52 am »

I think that they may still exist in Welwyn Garden City - a pal that had an LBS until about 3 years ago used to buy stuff from them.

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2024, 12:13:30 pm »

I think that they may still exist in Welwyn Garden City - a pal that had an LBS until about 3 years ago used to buy stuff from them.
Yes. When I saw this thread yesterday I immediately thought of them. A great source of quality cycling stuff. I think they also had a shop in Kilburn(?) at one point. Anyway, I went googling for them yesterday and found that they now have a shop in Welwyn Garden City and a lot of stuff for sale on eBay.

« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2024, 02:43:35 pm »
Crosses cycles in Church Street Baldock and latterly Crosses cycles Baldock high St. In 1977 I was allowed to buy fireworks there as I'd turned 16. When I was 10 my parents ( father christmas) delivered  me a  bright red single speed Elswick Hopper.
How about  Byerscycles of Clifton Beds. In 1996 I bought a Pearlescent  green Paul Donohue 531c frame and forks. Full shimano rx 100. Managed a 1:02 25 mile tt on it. Still got it.

robgul

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2024, 04:29:52 pm »
I seem to have started an "all our yesterdays" thread!

The big cycle shop names where I lived back in the 50s and 60s on the Essex border with London were Leach Marathon in Stratford, E15 and Rory O'Brien in Manor Park, E12 - and when I first went to work I used to pass a tiny half-shop unit in Grays Inn Road, London that was Condor (about 150 metres from where Condow is now, further along the street)

All I could do was lust after these bikes - having a Raleigh and later a Rudge, both pretty ancient.

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2024, 07:06:15 pm »

« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2024, 07:51:34 pm »

The big cycle shop names where I lived back in the 50s and 60s on the Essex border with London were Leach Marathon in Stratford, E15 and Rory O'Brien in Manor Park, E12 - and when I first wet to work I used to pass a tiny half-shop unit in Grays Inn Road, London that was Condor (about 150 metres from where Condow is now, further along the street)

All I could do was lust after these bikes - having a Raleigh and later a Rudge, both pretty ancient.
My bold
I remember that. It was on the other side of the road to where Condor is now,  just south of Clerkenwell Road.

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2024, 07:56:49 pm »

The big cycle shop names where I lived back in the 50s and 60s on the Essex border with London were Leach Marathon in Stratford, E15 and Rory O'Brien in Manor Park, E12 - and when I first wet to work I used to pass a tiny half-shop unit in Grays Inn Road, London that was Condor (about 150 metres from where Condow is now, further along the street)

My bold
I remember that. It was on the other side of the road just south of Clerkenwell Road.
And they had a picture on the wall, of Mick Jagger taking delivery of his shiny new Condor bike.

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2024, 08:48:20 pm »

My bold
I remember that. It was on the other side of the road just south of Clerkenwell Road.
And they had a picture on the wall, of Mick Jagger taking delivery of his shiny new Condor bike.

. . . yep, other side of the road as Jurek says . . . .  I don't recall Mick Jagger's picture . .  it was September 1963 so perhaps Before Jagger?

« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2024, 09:08:22 pm »
As I remember, you did not pay until you had received the parts, which might be a month later as was usual in those days.
Oh.. I do remember the same arrangment with Spa Cycles,  ... was very civilised

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2024, 10:04:28 pm »

My bold

. . . yep, other side of the road as Jurek says . . . .  I don't recall Mick Jagger's picture . .  it was September 1963 so perhaps Before Jagger?
Yes. I can't recall when I visited for the first time - probably the late 70s or early 80s -  but it was when the shop was on the other side of the road. (This gives us the Jagger pic and tells us that the Jagger bike dates from '75: https://www.condorcycles.com/pages/the-condor-way).

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2024, 11:23:12 pm »

Yes still in the industrial area of WGC I believe. I've been there once or twice. The Hertfordshire shop was in Goffs Oak - I used to go there before the Internet was a thing.

I too remember Settle Cycles, though I haven't thought about them for years.

The shop that started it all for me was Meadows of Cheadle (Cheshire). Don't suppose anyone else remembers them now, but stunningly, they are listed on a couple of Web sites. They didn't even do mail order, just a very small, knowledgeable LBS, with some really nice kit in.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2024, 10:44:38 am »

The big cycle shop names where I lived back in the 50s and 60s on the Essex border with London were Leach Marathon in Stratford, E15
You've got the germ of another thread in there. Moving from one place to another with the same name.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.