Author Topic: Rack fitting  (Read 712 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Rack fitting
« on: 10 January, 2024, 04:38:27 pm »
I have a project , which is to fit a rack to a MTB. However, said bike doesn’t have any mounting points at all , not even mudguard eyes. Also it has a dropper post , of which only about an inch of the fatter bit sticks out above the clamp.

Is there a rack that could feasibly be attached to the seat tube ? Or maybe at the usual places but with little clamps ? It doesn’t have to carry huge loads but it would be nice if it could hold panniers and maybe a tent on the top - say 10-12kg

Re: Rack fitting
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2024, 05:36:28 pm »
There's several options none of which I have personal experience off as have always had at least mudguard eyelets to bodge something but a quick Google of pannier rack without fittings should help

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2024, 05:41:31 pm »
Strong P-clips will sort that out

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2024, 05:41:57 pm »
If you've got the money - Tailfin?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2024, 05:46:46 pm »
Can get a seatpost clamp with rack mounts built in.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2024, 05:55:25 pm »
Seatpost clamp with fittings sounds good

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2024, 06:02:39 pm »
I have a rack on my Reasonably Priced Mountain Bicycle that attaches via an extra-long QR and a couple of sturdy P-clips around the seat-stays.  It adds faff when you have to remove the wheel, but it's been fine with a rack bag and occasionally panniers.  I added some ABS to the underside so it would double as a mudguard.

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2024, 09:22:00 am »
I'd combine the two suggestions above: seat clamp and QR mount.