Author Topic: Would you?  (Read 974 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Would you?
« on: 16 January, 2024, 12:38:26 pm »
411428293_24575020255446110_7165912641499270104_n by mark tilley, on Flickr

I've seen this, offered for free, yes really free, and i'm due to collect next Sunday, (if he keeps it for me as he says he will?)  In need of 'refurbishment',  a Pearson touring 531 frame, with horizontal.... ;D  dropouts, cantilevers, triple, prob 7 speed, qr Mavic rims/wheels, nice retro pedals, Brooks and Carradice. Frame appears to have surface rust (or dirt?) cobwebs, about 58cm ish, don't know if seatpost or stem are seized, and I assume 700c. Its about a 45 mile round trip to collect in the Volvan, but thinking about it, is it worth the hassle of picking up. I would get it running 'avec le patina' cables grease etc, and it would be a winter pub hack bike. BUT I have a sneaking suspicion it may prove to be faster / more comfortable than my 853 HD tourer Olive. If this is the case, I might invest in a fresh powder coat, and spruce up.  I do not need yet another bike, but with the possibilty of possibly running fixed as well.......what would you do?
I could even strip down to parts and flog off bits?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Would you?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2024, 12:45:45 pm »
I'd probably leave it for someone who will use it more and, perhaps, actually needs it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:23:58 pm »
that would be an ideal bike for me to commute to the office, although pretty low key, I'm always slightly trepidatious about leaving the Faran outside the office. Something like that would be ideally anonymous
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2024, 02:28:21 pm »
Tall head tube so too big for low-down bums such as yrs trly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2024, 08:39:27 pm »
I wouldn't travel unless I knew the s'post moved.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2024, 12:01:24 pm »
Dry ice is your friend to remove.

I would cos 531...

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2024, 12:09:43 pm »
Too big for me, but I would otherwise.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2024, 12:42:11 pm »
If I had a use for it I would, but then I'd have been looking for something to fulfil that same use.  If the attraction in mainly because it's free, then I'd probably pass. 

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:12:29 pm »
It’s possibly a Dave Yates frame, once I get the number offf the bb I can find out.  the whole bike is prob about 1.5kg or more lighter than Olive, I have a spare set of Chrina/ Campagnolo/ son dyno hub wheels, and aero levers, and bar cons, and tyres, and pedals , the more I look at it, the more I like it. It wants to be loved.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2024, 02:45:59 pm »
I might. It looks like it needs some tlc and (like you) I probably have the parts, tools and inclination.
Then I could decide whether to keep, sell or donate.
And if I got bored there’s a local bike refurbishment charity who would take it.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?