Author Topic: Spa Saddles  (Read 4340 times)

Spa Saddles
« on: 08 April, 2012, 02:18:40 pm »
Anyone here have one of the own-branded leather saddles from Spa?

They look just like the brooks saddles, but I'm smelling a rat - googling for reviews, I found this:

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/spa-cycles-saddle/

There is a pic and comment there about the saddles seeming to be made of a composite, rather than 100% leather. It could just be texturing on the underside.

If it is a composite, then these saddles aren't really worth considering for distance riding; they won't 'breath' like a 100% leather saddle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Spa Saddles
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2012, 02:27:13 pm »
It is a version of the Gyes saddle, variants are sold as Cardiff and Velo Orange.

Not tried one yet. Having given up on the short service life of B17 Standards, I'm trialling the B17 Select and Giles Berthoud Aspin. If no joy with them, a Spa saddle will be next.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »
Anyone who buys a cheap leather belt these days will soon realise that they often consist of a leather skin bonded to a fabric core and end up cracking sooner rather than later. I imagine something similar will occur with these but will have to wait until people feed back 'spose.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2012, 03:46:06 pm »
They look just like the brooks saddles, but I'm smelling a rat - googling for reviews, I found this:

If you aren't aware, that blog belongs to Vorsprung of this parish - I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss the saddles.

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2012, 04:19:18 pm »
No, I didn't know. The blog carefully hides the identity, although since it links to other forumite's blogs, I did wonder.

Having looked at the sad soggy appearance of my current saddle, I think I need something with less curve to the top and wider.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:25:54 pm »

If you aren't aware, that blog belongs to Vorsprung of this parish - I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss the saddles.
I've had the saddle for a little while now, it's maybe done 50km on short commuted to the station

It is a lot harder than a B17 and I think it will take a long time to break in

As I am just using it to go to the station ICBA deliberately carrying out a planned break in when I might make it damp and then ride 200 miles on it

As I haven't ridden a long hot ride on it I can't say how breathable it is

I like it though.  It is a good shape and suits me fine.

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »
I've had a B17 for 4 or 5 years and got a couple of swallows but couldnt justify the cost of a brooks on my touring bike got a 'wharfe' for my surly.   Seems well made, thicker than a brooks and bloody hard.

Have done about 100km on it so far and its comfyish like any brooks before they wear in.   Ask me again in 1000 miles...

« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:14:32 pm »
Tales of  broken nose bolts abound. Rob said he'd had two break.

Frankly, I don't understand it. That's not a small bolt. A high-tensile bolt of that size should withstand the forces a saddle is under.

Back on topic, I think I need to look at a 'flatter' saddle as much as a leather saddle. My sit bones are simply too wide for most saddles, possibly a legacy of a protracted period in childhood spent in a Toronto splint.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Spa Saddles
« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:45:11 pm »
I had the spa "swallow" style saddle as a present at Christmas, it's been on the fixer ever since and done a few hundred miles. Have to say am very impressed, been comfy to ride and seems very well made. Only time will tell how it lasts but so far so good :)

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2012, 08:20:28 pm »
I've created a new topic for debating the longevity of Brooks Saddles, so this thread can focus on people's experiences with Spa Saddles.

« Reply #10 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:21:17 pm »
More thread necromancy.

Can anyone who's used 'em say which of the Spa saddles is closest to the Brooks B17N?

My beloved B17N is now 30 years old & it shows. I am, at last, looking for a replacement. Obviously, I want minimum change - functionally, as in how it feels. I was happy with it from the start.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2023, 06:56:18 am »
More thread necromancy.

Can anyone who's used 'em say which of the Spa saddles is closest to the Brooks B17N?

My beloved B17N is now 30 years old & it shows. I am, at last, looking for a replacement. Obviously, I want minimum change - functionally, as in how it feels. I was happy with it from the start.

I have a B17 Narrow Carved that I am not getting on with and looking to replace if you are interested?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2023, 11:12:13 am »
Thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid the cutout puts me off.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:52:17 pm »
I have had a Wharfe Deluxe for a couple of years now. Flatter and narrower than a B17. Not sure of its Brooks equivalent. Fine saddle, can't remember whether it's got the stuff underneath or not!

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #14 on: 17 December, 2023, 09:56:29 pm »
More thread necromancy.

I have a B17N in black.  I've had it for several years and I've tried to like it a few times, but I think it's too narrow for me and a bit the wrong profile.  It's not anything like broken in yet and I would be happy to sell it.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".