Author Topic: Promotion of a Sportive – A Debate  (Read 29206 times)

Re: Promotion of a Sportive – A Debate
« Reply #100 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:21:57 pm »
In case anyone missed it, the thread is about the PEAK 100 and the Macc Monster.

;D ;D

No, just PEAK 100 this time.  ;)

« Reply #101 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:24:08 pm »
Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your message.
It's great that we can get such fast feedback.

It really helps us work out the best ways to get in touch with people and to know what they look for in a cycle!

Thanks again,

Chris

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #102 on: 11 March, 2011, 04:03:54 pm »
In case anyone missed it, the thread is about the PEAK 100 and the Macc Monster.

;D ;D

Well, I wish he'd mentioned the PEAK 100, in that case... >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #103 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:24:39 am »
Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your message.
It's great that we can get such fast feedback.

It really helps us work out the best ways to get in touch with people and to know what they look for in a cycle!

Thanks again,

Chris

The best way to tell me about sportives is to write about them in the printed magazines, that's where I look for sportive information

HTH

marcopolo

« Reply #104 on: 14 March, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »
There's over seventeen and a half thousand topics on this forum. Why's this one causing so much excitement?

OK he maybe spam-ing, but it's no worse than the self-promotion that many of you are also guilty of.

If you don't ask - you don't get, and you only get by keeping in the focus of peoples attention.

If there are other issues, such as the final destination of monies, this is not your concern - you make your choice, and pay your money.

I can think of far worse cases of social hi-jacking, either put your stones down - or get out of the greenhouse.

May be is because Sportive's attendance is growing ( especially with the new generation of riders  and Audax's one  is fading ?
what is the difference between a Sportive and Audax ?
 I ride them both depending on schedules routes etc.
What is it that attract novices to Sportives rather than audaxes?
 even if they cost triple ? and offer little food?
Is it the signed route ?
or the availability of GPX?
better dates ( Sundays and Public Holidays)
the advert on glossy magazines
the publishing of timed results?
may be it is worth debating and Audax organizers should try to reach out rather than being self-indulging...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #105 on: 14 March, 2011, 05:19:45 pm »

may be it is worth debating and Audax organizers should try to reach out rather than being self-indulging...
If you look back through this forum, you will find considerable debate about it. Please don't make assumptions :)

I've spoken to customers of both:

What is it that attract novices to Sportives rather than audaxes?
 even if they cost triple ? and offer little food?
Is it the signed route ?

- yes, for many. Of course this costs, so a £3 audax is unlikely to supply it.

in many or the availability of GPX?
- many Audaxes supply a GPX, so: No.

the advert on glossy magazines
- very much so. Sportives get free publicity every week in Cycling Weekly, who write about many sportives, but barely even covered PBP last time (or the Uk flagship event LEL with 500 riders).

the publishing of timed results?
- yup, possibly - of course this makes it a race, so the insurance/legal situation is dodgy - something AUK wants to avoid.

But as I said above, this HAS been discussed, you just haven't come across it (or looked for it?) :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

DanialW

« Reply #106 on: 14 March, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »
It ain't free publicity, Matt. Be assured of that.