Author Topic: Denmead 200k - 12th March  (Read 7342 times)

AndyH

Re: Denmead 200k - 12th March
« Reply #25 on: 11 March, 2011, 06:19:23 pm »
My routesheet hasn't arrived, but I was very tardy with my entry. Does anyone have a copy they could scan / email to me, or even better / as well a gpx.

Thanks, Andy

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #26 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:13:30 pm »
When I asked about entering on the line they said there would be routesheets at the start. Is the start at Pam and Dave's house?
Mojo is being awakened.

LEE

« Reply #27 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »
My routesheet hasn't arrived, but I was very tardy with my entry. Does anyone have a copy they could scan / email to me, or even better / as well a gpx.

Thanks, Andy

I sent you a GPX earlier in the week

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »
Crap and double Crap !!!!

Never fettle the night before a ride.

I swapped wheels (putting a more robust wheel on as I don't like running just a few bladed spokes over some of the potholes out there) which meant swapping cassettes, which meant swapping spacers around (mavic hub to a Shimano hub).  Then my gear cable snapped so it was off to Halfords before they closed.

Hassle I didn't need to create for myself.

Now I can't seem to get a smooth change no matter what combination of spacers I try.  It's as close I can manage so it will have to do.

I'll ride it up and down the street tomorrow morning and bring the Single Speed if it doesn't sound healthy.  Maybe it's just cable-stretch on the new cable making it hard to stop rattles. Everythign is the same, same cassette, chain, shifters.  Maybe it's just having my ears so close to a worn drive chain.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:37:56 pm »
When I asked about entering on the line they said there would be routesheets at the start. Is the start at Pam and Dave's house?

The start is at Pam and Dave's but if you are arriving by car, please use the public car park where there are also public loos.

H

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #30 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:13:13 pm »

The start is at Pam and Dave's but if you are arriving by car, please use the public car park where there are also public loos.

H

Thanks

Mojo is being awakened.

AndyH

« Reply #31 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:19:03 am »
Thanks for routesheet H and gpx LEE.

was feeling a bit tired after busy week, went to bed early and have had an awful night, dicky stomach. I think I'm going to have to DNS this.  :(

« Reply #32 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:23:23 am »

was feeling a bit tired after busy week, went to bed early and have had an awful night, dicky stomach. I think I'm going to have to DNS this.  :(

Nah, perfect practice for longer rides later in the season.  Get over there and do it! :-)

AndyH

« Reply #33 on: 12 March, 2011, 08:59:01 am »
Get over there and do it! :-)
I don't usually wimp out, and TBH I'm pretty peed off not to be there. Starting to feel a bit better but think it was the right choice. Maybe I'll have to go round the DC perm tomorrow as pennance  ;)

Hummers

« Reply #34 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:23:30 pm »
Don't beat yourself Andy but you were missed.

Excellent day out and a good route. Bumped into LadyVet briefly (sorry Mags, had to get a shift on) and despite not having done a proper ride for 3 weeks was none too shabby.

H

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #35 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:27:44 pm »

Excellent day out and a good route. Bumped into LadyVet briefly (sorry Mags, had to get a shift on) and despite not having done a proper ride for 3 weeks was none too shabby.

H

Blimey, what time did you finish if you were posting on here at 6 o'clock? Mind you you did overtake me in the first 5 km!

2kph faster than last week's 200 so quite pleased.
Mojo is being awakened.

Hummers

« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:45:45 pm »

H

Blimey, what time did you finish if you were posting on here at 6 o'clock? Mind you you did overtake me in the first 5 km!

Charlie Boy, finish times are not the sort of thing a chap asks gentleman. It is simply not the done thing nor is it in the Spirit of Audax. Think of it as being very similar to asking if he has had knowledge of a lady the night before or has a prepdisposition to yeast based fungal infections.

I hope this makes the situation clear and that it is enough that this is known between us.

Think on, think on.

H

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #37 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:52:42 pm »

H

Charlie Boy, finish times are not the sort of thing a chap asks gentleman. It is simply not the done thing nor is it in the Spirit of Audax. Think of it as being very similar to asking if he has had knowledge of a lady the night before or has a prepdisposition to yeast based fungal infections.

I hope this makes the situation clear and that it is enough that this is known between us.

Think on, think on.

H

Forgive me. It won't happen again. Promise.
Mojo is being awakened.

Hummers

« Reply #38 on: 12 March, 2011, 11:05:20 pm »

H

Think on, think on.

H

Forgive me. It won't happen again. Promise.

Oh go on then; just before 5.

;)

H

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 13 March, 2011, 10:59:53 am »
A grand day out with Keeks and Urban_Biker (Faccombe 3 only this time) and a really nice variation of a Denmead 200.

A tailwind on the first 90km meant we made great time out to Amesbury for the customary "Full English".  Keeks had a visitation just 5 minutes from the Garden Centre control or we'd have been there even earlier.

I could have done without the off-road section at Old Sarum and wished I'd listened to my own advice and taken the road instead (as per Taste of the Test)  I don't understand this choice of route at all.

The highpoint (almost literally) was the rolling road through the Firing Ranges via Everleigh into Pewsey, superb views during the warmest and sunniest part of the day (yes....WARM !!).

Another visitation, this time for Urban_Biker, on the way out to Pewsey (Welcome to Wiltshire flint).

We started to slow on the 2nd leg as we turned into the headwind more and more but still got back in reasonable time.  We lost Urban_Biker just before Micheldever Station, he was behind us and took a wrong turn.  A few phone calls later and it turned out he was now several km ahead of us in East Stratton.  We told him to carry on and we'd chase him down.

Well...there's nothing like trying to close a 6km gap in the space of 35km to make your legs burn.  It was all I could do to hang on as Keeks started the chase.  The chase was perfectly timed to coincide with the South Downs and I pretty much bonked on the final grind after Kilmeston.  As we descended into Droxford in the dark we caught a glimpse of a distant LED, this gave me enough inspiration to give a final push and we finally caught UB on the final rollers into Denmead.  I think I was as tired by that point as on my very first 200.

I suppose I can consider it good training.

Chillmoister (just there to see us off), Keeks and Hummers at the customary breakfast spot

Me, Chillmoister and Pompey below

Keeks and the first visitation (beats fixing them in the cold, wet and dark though)

Urban Biker and the 2nd visit

Me, on my way to Pewsey (actually it's a staged shot whilst UB fixes his puncture and I'm heading in the wrong direction).  However, it does show you why Audax can be so great when the sun comes out finally.

Keeks with his potential "Arrivee" pose

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #40 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:30:33 am »
The highpoint (almost literally) was the rolling road through the Firing Ranges via Everleigh into Pewsey, superb views during the warmest and sunniest part of the day (yes....WARM !!).

+1 .  A grand day out Gromit . With the additional bonus of the rain starting AFTER we finished.

LEE

« Reply #41 on: 14 March, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »

I had similar issues earlier in the week and managed to get over it by Saturday morning.  I was a probable DNS up until Friday evening.

There's no point in starting a long ride if you have bad guts, you won't ever be able to enjoy it and you'll probably end up bonking due to an inability to digest enough food.  No fun whatsoever. 
That's what Sofas & TVs are for.

Hummers

« Reply #42 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:57:43 am »
Ride Report here

H

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #43 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:21:36 am »
Ride Report here

H

Mr Angry had a go at me too as I followed you up the hill. I'm glad he shared his displeasure fairly!

Did he pay for that cycle path himself, I wonder?

The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #44 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:46:42 am »
This was about the only place I saw a car on the whole ride.

Dave P took the cycle route whilst I took the road. He must have been abused on his recce.
Mojo is being awakened.