Author Topic: Garmin Vista/Legend question  (Read 1128 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Garmin Vista/Legend question
« on: 10 January, 2011, 04:43:21 pm »
A question for the Garmin eTrex crew.

I have a maptilefile and gpx file with a track downloaded from bikely.

If I connect the gps to my pc in Mass storage mode, can I simply drag n drop the files on to the GPS?

If yes then where exactly do they go and what do the files need to be called.

Ta.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Garmin Vista/Legend question
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »
Assuming an eTrex with a memory card: Yes for the map file, no for the track.

The map file must be named gmapsupp.img, and in a folder named Garmin.

There's no way of sending tracks/routes/waypoints to the eTrex in mass storage mode (well, you could copy them to the memory card, but it won't see them).
To transfer these you must have the eTrex connected in normal USB/Garmin mode (not mass storage), then send them using something that uses the Garmin protocol. eg Mapsource, GPSBabel or Garmin Communicator plugin etc would work.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
So, which of the bike route sharing sites have a Communicator plugin, so you can just zap the route straight to the GPS without faff?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
So, which of the bike route sharing sites have a Communicator plugin, so you can just zap the route straight to the GPS without faff?
GPSies, Bike Route Toaster and Bikehike do.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »

The Communicator plugin is a Garmin browser product. A quick check suggests Bikehike supports it though I haven't tested it (it's not for me). Its a bit weird though having to upload a track to bikehike so you can then download it straight to the GPS.

*Cross edit with fuaran