Author Topic: Road Closed Signs and Bridges  (Read 2856 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Road Closed Signs and Bridges
« on: 20 November, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
I do wish that when local authorities are putting up diversion signs for roadworks they would indicate whether the road was still open for pedestrian access.  Nine times out of ten the cyclist prepared to get off and walk can happily ignore 'Road Closed' signs but when its a bridge that's being worked on we can come unstuck.  All the more annoying that bridges across rivers/burns are often down at the bottom of a hill, so not only do you have to turn back but you have to climb back up the hill you've just come down !  Grrrrr ! 
Aero but not dynamic

Re: Road Closed Signs and Bridges
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
Oh, how annoying. Where was this?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:14:56 pm »
Most recently the little bridge at Biel Mill, East Lothian.  Its been inaccessible since early summer.  Also this year one near New Abbey in Galloway.  On that occasion a friendly workman helped us manhandle the tandem over some makeshift and very shoogly ramps to get us across.  (Don't tell Health & Safety !)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2008, 08:25:10 pm »
Ha. Yes, I've often found that workmen'll help you/ let you cross when they shouldn't - but if they don't , or if they're not there, it's going to be annoying!

Snugsy

« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2008, 11:01:54 am »
In my experience you can almost always get through when there's a "Road closed" sign, if you're prepared to walk a short distance if necessary and get your cleats muddy.

alan

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2008, 12:27:38 pm »
There is a road closed due to bridge works very locally to us,with a very steep hill on one side of the river.As usual there is no indication of pedestrian-access only.
We have the convenience of a temporary pedestrian bridge adjacent to the works known only to those who venture down the road to check it out.
GillP,TKP & I used this road last weekend only as a result of my local knowledge.
The closed road has the advantage of being pleasantly traffic-free but this has allowed a carpet   of chutney ;), a.k.a. fallen leaves :in some places covering the entire width of the road, to develop

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2008, 01:26:12 pm »
In my experience you can almost always get through when there's a "Road closed" sign, if you're prepared to walk a short distance if necessary and get your cleats muddy.

I tried this in The Netherlands when we came across a sign saying the bridge was broken.  Huh, broken bridge we thought  :-\  So headed off to the bridge to find it was a lift bridge that was stuck in the open position.  Perfect for a James Bond stunt, but that would be about all.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:36:50 am »
Was caught out by a closed bridge in the fens yesterday.  Cue 18km detour.  Luckily I was merely riding my bike rather than on an audax. 
I had a poke around and found this site, but of course you'd have to go through and check your entire (DIY) route every time. 
The bod I spoke to was, of course, unaware of the footpathI've since id'd and which I could have pushed the bike along instead of the detour.  If I had been on a long distance hike I'd have either gone elsewhere or had a proper map.  Thus only a tiny minority affected so not worth the effort of flagging up "road closed to everyone/thing" vs "road closed to motor vehicles only"
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2018, 11:49:07 am »

I had a very minor altercation on the Benjamin Allens' Spring Tonic ride this year. A section of closed road in FoD, I walked around the works area (ringed off with Heras fence) following a group of walkers. One of the group got snotty when I remounted the other side "Excuse me! Excuse me! This road is CLOSED you know!" :facepalm:

« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:45:51 pm »
There was a road closed sign on Saturday's club run.  We were all set to give it a go when I noticed that there was a sign saying that it applied to pedestrians and cyclists too so we followed the diversion.  The other club group ignored the signs and cycled 2k to the missing bridge then 2k back again :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:22:52 pm »
That's uncharacteristically sensible of them.

I have on occasion been able to ask a passing local about the state of the road closure, but the rule of thumb is that most of the time you can get past with a bike, so it's usually worth trying.