Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333201 times)

Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1150 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:10:24 am »
^Nice! Loved that series

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1151 on: 30 December, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »
Woo, Spiral / Engrenages starts again on the 30th Dec :)

Mobile switched off, phone disconnected, router unplugged in 3-2-1...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1152 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:12:37 pm »
If the reappearance of the late Pierre turns out to be anything than a one-off joke by the writer I shall be obliged to travel to France and shoot them in the face, with square bullets.  Only pausing to deliver Maitre Karlsson a new hairbrush.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1153 on: 31 December, 2017, 03:27:25 pm »
Oi! I ent watched it yet!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #1154 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:11:18 pm »
Quite enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. The first series was OK, the second a lot better. Far more pacey than often sludgy other Marvel adaptations for TV (Jessica Jones spent an entire season trying to imprison a bloke who obviously, given his special power, couldn't ever be imprisoned, Daredevil spends entire series being beaten up by old ladies, kittens, etc. and then fretting about it). I'm quite looking forward to the The Punisher though, on the grounds that he ought to just get on with the punishing as per the job description. It's on the list. Did plan to watch the follow-on from Stranger Things over the holidays but beer intervened.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1155 on: 01 January, 2018, 07:06:09 pm »
In a 'brainless entertainment' sort of way, the Red Bull Soapbox Races shown on Dave have been required viewing this Xmas.

If you missed them  - or never seen one - they're on UK TV Play catch up. And funny...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1156 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:34:27 am »
In a 'brainless entertainment' sort of way, the Red Bull Soapbox Races shown on Dave have been required viewing this Xmas.

I like these too. I particularly like the way they get points awarded for the acting and show they put on before launching the soapbox down the course. There are some completely barmy ones.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1157 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:53:27 am »
Undecided about "McMafia".  For starters, it's not about Glaswegian gangsters at all, plus it smells strongly of "The Night Manager With A Russian Accent".

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1158 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:22:39 am »

I like these too. I particularly like the way they get points awarded for the acting and show they put on before launching the soapbox down the course. There are some completely barmy ones.

Quite seriously, it strikes me as remarkable that no one has been seriously injured given some of the 'bodgineering' going on. Maybe worth a thread of its own somewhere but surely yacf could come up with something capable of more than one run...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1159 on: 02 January, 2018, 11:03:10 am »
We finally watched all of Bancroft last night.

Actually we didn't't, they only showed 4 episodes. (out of 4  ??? )
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1160 on: 03 January, 2018, 06:37:30 pm »
Really getting into Witnesses: A Frozen Death on iPlayer.  Glad of the subtitles (it's in French) and completely flummoxed by it!  :thumbsup:

We’ve been watching this. Episode 3 a combine stops whilst harvesting. Next scene cops search the woods with trees in spring bud  ::-)

Edit: We both agreed it was unbelievable tripe and we had no empathy with the characters. Deleted.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #1161 on: 03 January, 2018, 07:24:29 pm »
Taking a break from the land of Marvel, now on Supernatural series 10 (10!), which I found as a genuine shrinkwrapped DVD that I'd been trying to open since 2014. Normally I think most series should give up, but I'm minded that Supernatural should continue until Sam and Dean are bickering geriatrics is a rusting Impala juddering through Nowhere, Wyoming while listening to Journey.

Anyway, last night's fan-fic musical version of Supernatural in the girl's school made me splortchortle myself into an early bathroom break.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1162 on: 05 January, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
Really enjoying La Casa de Papel, on Netflix.

Spanish heist drama, great acting and fantastic story.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1163 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:03:04 pm »
(click to show/hide)

hillbilly

« Reply #1164 on: 08 January, 2018, 05:31:14 pm »
Glow (Netflix).  5 hours of US comedy (10 episodes, 0.5hrs each) that is well worth watching because it is full of the chuckles.  Premise is the fictionalised creation of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling (which was a real thing in the US) but it's really a story about the pursuit of fame.  It is well scripted, well shot (captures the 80s vibe) and well acted.

Have also been watching the latest Black Mirror (Netflix).  Don't believe the hype - I found this series disappointing on the whole.  It left me with the impression it is a concept that has run it's course, largely because it is beginning to cover similar ground to previous series, but in less interesting ways.  Only USS Callister and Hang the DJ really left an impression, but even those were middling.

Likewise Inside No. 9, which has come back on BBC2.  I really like this show, as it is often interesting and well written (Christine is one of my favourite TV episodes).  I didn't really click with the first episode of the new series though (too clever by half, being written in rhyming couplets) but am hoping future episodes will be better.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1165 on: 17 January, 2018, 01:45:45 pm »
I could easily of started a new thread but here seems a good place to pose the question: what should we watch next on Netflix?

So far we have watched all of Breaking Bad and think it was probably the best thing we have ever seen on the telly or at the cinema.  We also enjoyed the US version of House of Cards and started watching the most recent series but thought it was a bit slow, then Trump proved fact can indeed be stranger than fiction, then the Kevin Spacey controversy broke so we have dumped HoC.  Good Wife has proved to be excellent but is leaving Netflix at the end of the month so we have bought the final two seasons on DVD and will watch them whilst we are away in the caravan.

So what next on Netflix?  Thanks in advance.

hillbilly

« Reply #1166 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:16:28 pm »
Currently working our way through The Good Place on Netflix.  Premise is that Kirsten Bell is wrongly sent to a version of heaven run by Ted Danson.  It's forking good.

I'm also trying #metoo debating point Aziz Ansari's Master of None.  It's not really grabbing me though, as he's never as funny as he thinks he is. 

"End of the ****ing World" on the other hand (on Netflix and All4 - or 4Play as its known in my house) is very awesome.  Two disaffected youths ripping it up.  Chortles.  20mins an episode is well worth anyones time.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1167 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »
Ok, thanks, good suggestions!

« Reply #1168 on: 17 January, 2018, 04:35:17 pm »
on netflix...
Narcos is excellent.  3 seasons of gripping stuff.  Hard hitting at times.  You get used to the high spanish subtitle content.
Manhunt: Unabomber also very well done.
Stranger Things 1&2
Shooter 1&2 (based on the film) much better than expected

edit.  Breaking bad was the first thing I watched on Netflix - still the best I reckon.
'Better Call Saul' spin-off is very well done too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1169 on: 17 January, 2018, 05:07:55 pm »
I only have Netflix for the winter months and binge, binge, binge.
Highlights for me have been
Stranger Things 1 & 2
Fargo - film and two series
Suburra - film
Wallander - the original not the BBC version
Godless - A western I was persuaded to watch and am glad I did
Orange is the new black - I've only watched the first series

Plenty of other stuff I've enjoyed and plenty where the first episode was enough. I've tried hard to like Peaky Blinders, mainly because I keep coming across the soundtrack, but i don't get it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1170 on: 17 January, 2018, 07:49:18 pm »
Better Call Saul is superb. Possibly even better than Breaking Bad.

Ozark is good, in a similar vein.

Mindhunter is great.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1171 on: 18 January, 2018, 07:37:32 am »
We started on Better Call Saul but couldn’t get into it. I was wondering if we should try again.

ian

« Reply #1172 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:01:52 am »
Reminds me, I'm one of the 3,562 people left who has yet to see Breaking Bad. And I mean properly watch it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1173 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
Reminds me, I'm one of the 3,562 people left who has yet to see Breaking Bad. And I mean properly watch it.

It is properly good.  The middle seasons lose it a bit but its still worth watching but it wraps up nicely.  Once we had finished watching it we suffered mild feelings of grief, I kid you not - pathetic I know.

ian

« Reply #1174 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:11:23 am »
It's not that I don't want to watch it, I just have commitment issues. It'll take months to watch them all.